joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
00z Model Discussion | January 2-3 Winter storm

user13

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we can safely say that the 4 -8 Upton has in their WSW has over 70 % chance of verifying and now we have to see if the other models follow the NAM - if so 4- 8 will be adjusted higher by 12Z tomorrow - this storm has alot of potential to be a MECS.... You can see that a neg nao is developing as the flow is not as progressive ...

Can't express this enough....we are still 2 days possibly from this storm commencing in our area....I have seen the NAM double and sometimes quadruple our totals even ONE day out NUMEROUS times. But....having said that....it is ALWAYS better to see model output like this than it be something BAD

SREF 21z puts down a "lobe" of heavier snow amounts into NYC down into Monmouth county as well. I tend to think (met opinions?) that as the NAM catches on to the reality of what is happening and the dynamics involved in a moisture-laden system, it's initial solutions once all the players are on the field are blown out of proportion. However, in subsequent runs (usually under 30 hours or so) it corrects itself to a more realistic solution. One important thing to keep in mind is that the storm itself has not ultimately changed what is and was going to happen. The computer generated models, however, are getting closer and closer to the time when they can forecast the storm correctly

Archived