• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2/3 Event - Disco., Nowcasting, and Obs.

wxmeddler

the thing I am looking forward to the most in this mini-storm is the powdery ending to the snow which will blow around and off roofs/objects for a while all day tomorrow.  I am thinking 2 inches for here should be doable.

Looks like one of those events where half of your lawn if blown clean and a 6" drift next to the grill.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every degree below prog surface temp is a big net positive because most near the dca suburbs will waste some precip at onset. 850's are plenty cold for all snow. If I start out snow at onset with 36* surface it will be a big help. Same applies everywhere. 

I was just looking at temps from different weather stations around my area. It looks like areas above 500' are in the low 30's and stations below 500' were more in the mid 30's.

I was just looking at temps from different weather stations around my area. It looks like areas above 500' are in the low 30's and stations below 500' were more in the mid 30's.

Pretty standard. I'm 35 even @ 420'. Would love to cap out right here but will prob squeeze another degree or 2

At Nationals Stadium weatherbug station, near Navy Yard in SE DC, temp is currently at 32.8 degrees.

DCA, across the river by a few miles, is at 37.4 degrees.

that reads low for whatever reason..maybe the water....36-37 seems like the most common temp in DC proper right now

Well, well. The yellows showing on radar in my neck of the woods is and sleet/mangled flake/rain mix. Temp is 33.3 and DP 26.2. Fail on the forecast, at least for temps is appears. Probably a 60/20/20 mix of sleet/snow/rain right now. Might be good news for further north and east. So do we have a slight 'wedge', much warmer south and west of me on other side of ridges?

Well, well. The yellows showing on radar in my neck of the woods is and sleet/mangled flake/rain mix. Temp is 33.3 and DP 26.2. Fail on the forecast, at least for temps is appears. Probably a 60/20/20 mix of sleet/snow/rain right now. Might be good news for further north and east. So do we have a slight 'wedge', much warmer south and west of me on other side of ridges?

Southwest VA looks like it's filling in nicely.

that reads low for whatever reason..maybe the water....36-37 seems like the most common temp in DC proper right now

Yeah, for whatever reason, it always reads lower than DCA especially. Now the area is up to 33.4 degrees... it updates every minute or so on the Weatherbug site. Probably influenced by the water, like you said.

That said, this area tends to get a tad bit more snow than DCA anytime we get a storm. Not a big difference tho.

Archived