Newest Member
    joxey
January 2-3 Winter Storm Potential

Ralph Wiggum

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its been quite a while since Mercer got lucky with snow.  I cursed it :P

i actually wonder if mercer is in a bit of a no-mans land... too far north for the storms that miss us to the south, and too far south and west, for the better events in north jersey/NYC/etc.

i work in hightstown... and live 14 miles N/NE in e. brunswick.... and i've noted a subtle though noticeable difference between the two over the years.

1+ inch is mighty close to the jersey shore, maybe 20 miles? 

0z Looks about the same  as 12z imby , 0.6-0.8 or so in monmouth/ocean counties, similar to the ukmet..

Yes, that's pretty close. I like the way the Euro has expanded the precip field overall. Usually it backs down a little before an event. Good to see that reversed.

i actually wonder if mercer is in a bit of a no-mans land... too far north for the storms that miss us to the south, and too far south and west, for the better events in north jersey/NYC/etc.

You think YOU'RE in no-man's land? Try living out here. Too far north for the southern storms, to far southwest for the NYC and NE storms, and plain too far west if a storm runs a true KU route to the benchmark. Everything has to be JUST PERFECT it seems for my area to potentially jackpot.

You think YOUR in no-man's land? Try living out here. Too far north for the southern storms, to far southwest for the NYC and NE storms, and plain too far west if a storm runs a true KU route to the benchmark. Everything has to be JUST PERFECT it seems for my area to potentially jackpot.

It doesn't help that with this forum we know what everyone else is getting. Back before the internet we only got that info from the news which didn't really have the same mental effect I guess. Lol

Anyway, to keep on topic, HPC probability charts:

day1_composite.gif

Anyone think kblm can reach blizzard criteria ?

I don't know? But I do know its one of the reasons I drove back from the cabin last night ;)

Of course half the crew wants to head back to cabin this afternoon after school, the thought of missing pow pow is eating away as the dream of bombing through the terrain park in a cloud of POW.

Latest Wxsim with 6z data for NW Chester County looks right in line with the NWS maps with a general 6" - 7" of snow for NW Chester County. Timing has steadier snow moving in toward rush hour this evening. Heavy snow by late evening all over by around 8am tomorrow. I kind of have a feeling this may sneak in kind of quick in the West Burbs of Philly and get a little heavier faster especially considering the arctic squeeze play from the North and moisture from the S and W. RAP guidance paints this out also.

Latest Wxsim with 6z data for NW Chester County looks right in line with the NWS maps with a general 6" - 7" of snow for NW Chester County. Timing has steadier snow moving in toward rush hour this evening. Heavy snow by late evening all over by around 8am tomorrow. I kind of have a feeling this may sneak in kind of quick in the West Burbs of Philly and get a little heavier faster especially considering the arctic squeeze play from the North and moisture from the S and W. RAP guidance paints this out also.

I like the trends, we here in Delco look good.

Overnight and now 12z guidance seems to have firmed up for at least low end warning criteria for i95 from wilmington to New Brunswick...the sub .5" low outliers are falling away

This is having hallmark indications that SNJ will win out the most with this storm.  (6" to 12" inches)

* Inverted trough / mesoscale banding expected to setup there.

* Temps already below expectations.

* We're relying on backend precip mostly

* Strong , dry highs to the north might dry-slot most of NNJ....causing weenie chaos in the NYC section.

* NAM has already been hinting (prior to 12z run) at lower amounts...due to colder and dryer temps...and coming from a model that typically overdoes things. (QPF)

Archived