Newest Member
    joxey
January 2-3 Winter Storm Potential

Ralph Wiggum

mt holly AFD

THERE IS A SMALL CHC WE MAY EVENTUALLY NEED TO CONSIDER A BLIZZARD

WARNING FOR MONMOUTH AND OCEAN COUNTIES BUT FOR NOW...ITS ONLY A 20

PCT CHANCE IN OUR MINDS

Just want to remind myself of the definition of a blizzard :-)

A blizzard means that the following conditions are expected to prevail for a period of 3 hours or longer:

• Sustained wind or frequent gusts to 35 miles an hour or greater; and
  • Considerable falling and/or blowing snow (i.e., reducing visibility frequently to less than a ¼ mile)

Will be interested to see if this may verify - currently calling for occasional gusts to 35mph around TR (and 50mph just off the coast later Thursday night) - if we do get a blizzard warning this would be most likely after midnight and on into Friday when the snow that is falling or has fallen will be light, powdery and blowing all over the place...

Also concerned about coastal flooding at the time of high tide on Friday morning along Monmouth and Ocean County beaches.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NAM total snowfall.. 

Looks like 4-6" Philly area, not factoring in better ratios..so maybe call it 5-9"?  

Heaviest snows seem to have shifted a bit NE.  NYC looks like they're in for a foot or more.

post-20276-1388607486_thumb.jpg

I have no idea what you're speaking about. Sarcasm aside, SNOW is the only four letter word I use. The point was, I was about to make  a solid 3-6 forecast, with more potential, which with good lift and forcing, an improving h5, knew that NOAA was playing it safe.

They stole my thunder, as I'm a tedious typist, two fingers, lol, and got out the WSW I knew was a certainty, as I checked Upton before posting.

My greater point, is the absurd weight placed on modeling, as it's proven it's dart board accuracy, if the guy playing darts is an amateur. It is no "coup", when it nails a storm 6 hours ahead, when the previous 114, it was a sine curve of storm, no storm, and getting the primary wrong, or mishandling the timing of it bombing out, and where.

So, lets forward to the BLIZZARD in your username, and thank you Kamu for your gracious remarks.

Accuweather says 45 mph gusts tomorrow night in the LV

My accu forecast says 51 mph gusts in northern DE.  Not really sure if that is going to come to fruition or not.. but if so, that would create some pretty ridiculous blowing and drifting and, obviously, terrible visibility.

Accuweather says 45 mph gusts tomorrow night in the LV

My accu forecast says 51 mph gusts in northern DE. Not really sure if that is going to come to fruition or not.. but if so, that would create some pretty ridiculous blowing and drifting and, obviously, terrible visibility.

Yep and I'll be plowing in it. That's enough to make a PennDOT truck pull over and wait for it to lighten up

309 will be okay, but 100 by the low hill township building is a b**ch with blowing and drifting! Lol

Indeed. The area on 309 by the pizza places south of Bear Rock Junction can get kind of funky as well.

Yep two kings pizza, that is a bad spot. I have a bad feeling about this one, guarantee we will have guys stuck all over

Surface snowFALL. Not necessarily snow-stick. @36. I think the hi-res will give us a little more inkling. H5 also showed a little hesitation with the low ~33hours. It's figuring out the convection.yes

This also assumes 10:1 -- so while there may be a period in the southern areas where the snow doesn't accumulate, the higher ratios should offset and then some.

A solid 4-8" region wide (Philly, Wilmington, SNJ) seems very reasonable...

Archived