Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2-3 Winter Storm Potential

Ralph Wiggum

The cold air will certainly help too. 

Given that the cold is extreme, and would be close to record breaking for this time of year, and with ocean temperatures not as cool as they would be in say February, could the contrast between the two potentially add to the strength of the storm? I imagine it's factored in if so, I'm curious because it is a greater contrast than we usually would have.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given that the cold is extreme, and would be close to record breaking for this time of year, and with ocean temperatures not as cool as they would be in say February, could the contrast between the two potentially add to the strength of the storm? I imagine it's factored in if so, I'm curious because it is a greater contrast than we usually would have.

For a widespread effect, the timing of the front interacting with the surface low and upper trough has to be right, though certainly there could be ocean enhancement along the coast no matter what.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ
235 PM EST WED JAN 1 2014

...A WINTER STORM WILL AFFECT THE ENTIRE AREA LATER THURSDAY AND
FRIDAY ALONG WITH AREAS OF BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW AND DANGEROUS
COLD...

.AN AREA OF LOW PRESSURE WILL DEVELOP OFF THE COAST OF VIRGINIA
THURSDAY, THEN STRENGTHEN RAPIDLY AS IT TRACKS NORTHEASTWARD AND
AWAY FROM OUR AREA THURSDAY NIGHT AND FRIDAY. AS THIS OCCURS, SNOW
IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP ACROSS THE ENTIRE AREA ESPECIALLY THURSDAY
NIGHT THEN TAPER OFF FRIDAY MORNING. A DANGEROUSLY COLD AIRMASS WILL
OVERSPREAD THE AREA THURSDAY NIGHT AND FRIDAY AS THE STORM
INTENSIFIES OUT TO SEA.

DEZ001-NJZ009-010-012>022-025>027-PAZ060-070-071-101>106-020500-
/O.NEW.KPHI.WS.A.0002.140102T2300Z-140103T1500Z/
NEW CASTLE-HUNTERDON-SOMERSET-MIDDLESEX-WESTERN MONMOUTH-
EASTERN MONMOUTH-MERCER-SALEM-GLOUCESTER-CAMDEN-
NORTHWESTERN BURLINGTON-OCEAN-CUMBERLAND-ATLANTIC-
COASTAL ATLANTIC-COASTAL OCEAN-SOUTHEASTERN BURLINGTON-BERKS-
DELAWARE-PHILADELPHIA-WESTERN CHESTER-EASTERN CHESTER-
WESTERN MONTGOMERY-EASTERN MONTGOMERY-UPPER BUCKS-LOWER BUCKS-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WILMINGTON...FLEMINGTON...SOMERVILLE...
NEW BRUNSWICK...FREEHOLD...SANDY HOOK...TRENTON...PENNSVILLE...
GLASSBORO...CAMDEN...CHERRY HILL...MOORESTOWN...MOUNT HOLLY...
JACKSON...MILLVILLE...HAMMONTON...ATLANTIC CITY...
LONG BEACH ISLAND...WHARTON STATE FOREST...READING...MEDIA...
PHILADELPHIA...HONEY BROOK...OXFORD...WEST CHESTER...
KENNET SQUARE...COLLEGEVILLE...POTTSTOWN...NORRISTOWN...
LANSDALE...CHALFONT...PERKASIE...MORRISVILLE...DOYLESTOWN

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY EVENING THROUGH
FRIDAY MORNING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MOUNT HOLLY HAS ISSUED A WINTER
STORM WATCH, WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY EVENING THROUGH
FRIDAY MORNING.

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW ALONG WITH AREAS OF BLOWING AND DRIFTING
SNOW.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...3 TO 7 INCHES ANTICIPATED.

* TIMING...SNOW IS FORECAST TO DEVELOP FROM NORTHWEST TO SOUTHEAST
DURING THURSDAY AFTERNOON, THEN WIDESPREAD SNOW IS EXPECTED
THURSDAY NIGHT AND FRIDAY MORNING. THE PRECIPITATION SHOULD
START AS SOME RAIN OR A RAIN SNOW MIX LATER THURSDAY SOUTH AND
EAST OF PHILADELPHIA BEFORE CHANGING TO ALL SNOW.

* IMPACTS...TRAVEL SHOULD BECOME HAZARDOUS THURSDAY EVENING AS
SNOW BEGINS TO ACCUMULATE. THIS WILL BE AN INCREASINGLY FLUFFY
SNOW AND AS WINDS INCREASE THURSDAY NIGHT, BLOWING AND DRIFTING
SNOW SHOULD MAKE TRAVEL EVEN MORE HAZARDOUS. ROAD PLOWING
OPERATIONS WOULD BE GREATLY AFFECTED, ESPECIALLY DUE TO BLOWING
AND DRIFTING SNOW AND ALSO SNOWFALL RATES NEAR AN INCH PER HOUR
AT TIMES DURING THE HEIGHT OF THE STORM THURSDAY NIGHT.

* WINDS...NORTHEAST TO NORTH AT 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH,
THEN BECOMING NORTHWEST DURING FRIDAY.

* TEMPERATURES...STARTING OUT RANGING BETWEEN ABOUT THE LOWER 30S
TO LOWER 40S THURSDAY AFTERNOON, THEN FALLING INTO THE 20S AND
TEENS THURSDAY NIGHT. ALL AREAS SHOULD BE IN THE TEENS BY
DAYBREAK FRIDAY. WHERE TEMPERATURES START OUT WELL ABOVE
FREEZING THURSDAY, FLASH FREEZING CAN OCCUR THURSDAY NIGHT AS
TEMPERATURES RAPIDLY DROP BELOW FREEZING AND THE SNOW INCREASES.

* VISIBILITIES...LESS THAN ONE HALF OF A MILE A TIMES THURSDAY
NIGHT.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT
SNOW, SLEET, OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL. CONTINUE
TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.

&&

$

GORSE

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ

...A WINTER STORM WILL AFFECT THE ENTIRE AREA LATER THURSDAY AND

FRIDAY ALONG WITH AREAS OF BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW AND DANGEROUS

COLD...

.AN AREA OF LOW PRESSURE WILL DEVELOP OFF THE COAST OF VIRGINIA

THURSDAY, THEN STRENGTHEN RAPIDLY AS IT TRACKS NORTHEASTWARD AND

AWAY FROM OUR AREA THURSDAY NIGHT AND FRIDAY. AS THIS OCCURS, SNOW

IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP ACROSS THE ENTIRE AREA ESPECIALLY THURSDAY

NIGHT THEN TAPER OFF FRIDAY MORNING. A DANGEROUSLY COLD AIRMASS WILL

OVERSPREAD THE AREA THURSDAY NIGHT AND FRIDAY AS THE STORM

INTENSIFIES OUT TO SEA.

Since I was a kid, I've always loved that phrase - "Snow developing...."

As expected, the only thing more sure, the effect of a ten mile wide asteroid hitting the Earth ( I purposefully doubled the extinction size of the dinosaur's Wipeout asteroid ), is the absurdity of watching the flip flop model game of models. It is pure folly, as their winning percentage , based on long range 120 hours, are ALL around 20% ( being generous ). Halve the time, and they are wildly divergent, and professional Meteorologists use a term, "BLEND" ( as in knowing the biases inherent in each model ) what could all be bad physics or initialization, and mix on a weather palette.

This isn't conjecture, as there are thousands of posts proving the reliance on models, like finding pyrite, and thinking it is gold. Yes, they are helpful in showing who the players may be, and where other mere meteorological tools, can work.

I admit, I'm a JB fan, he's a snow lover. But, his teleconnections is "old school", but accurate. His analog years, a little more his "out there" brand, he merges with his weather sense OF OUR REGION. He is intimately familiar with the tendencies, bias , and history of past storms when fashioning his FORECAST. Surface maps, soundings, water vapor imagery, the season to date, all have more value than entrusting a model, where like a roulette wheel, it comes up 50-50, red or black, one a bust. The jackpot green holds one tiny space.

We don't know each other, but I'm a techie. I am working with engineers on my own project, so exacting, as we wanted perfection, and projected performance is based on that perfection.

Models are by analogy, in their infancy. I know it's boring to plot surface maps, and keep a memory store of teleconnections, looking up soundings, but the resources are there. I could get a bulls eye at darts ( and I'm lousy at the game ), as be a model and hit the correct outcome. I used to say of meteorologists, just as a joke, what would happen in other real world jobs, where your accuracy was reduced to nowcasting, and looking out a window? JB loves to call out the point and click forecasts. They get paid, right or wrong. In other day jobs, this performance would be unacceptable.

The personnel and members of NOAA, are exemplary, and filled with talent. I wish they had the resources given them, to set up the systems which would help these models with their physics' biases, which as currently constructed,  produce an oscilloscope of ups and downs, the pogo sticks barometers of members who live and die with each run.

My answer....CHILL :snowing: , by the end of this system, we have two more months, plus a week or two, to be satiated. Its all good. My call based upon the current surface maps, the improving h5, the seeming intensity only now being felt by the models ( Nam was there ) of the lagging low, putting too much front end energy into the first low, is a solid 3-5" for Philly Metro. Get cold air in faster, or some deformation banding, up to a quick 8-10", like our first December storm.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!!!!! And CHILL. We have tons of fun headed our way in the form of that crystalline purity, a wonder of nature, the love of which I never outgrow.

EDIT: I HAD CHECKED NYC METRO NOAA BEFORE TYPING, AND UPTON ISSUED A WSW, AND I FIGURED, WE WOULD GET THERE TOO. I COULDN'T SEE THAT UPDATE HERE, UNTIL I POSTED, WITH MY SPEED AND DELIBERATION ( TWO FINGER TYPIST ), IN WHICH A SNAIL WOULD WIN ANY TYPING CONTEST.

Mt. Holly 3-7" = a foot.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!!!!! And CHILL. We have tons of fun headed our way in the form of that crystalline purity, a wonder of nature, the love of which I never outgrow.

EDIT: I HAD CHECKED NYC METRO NOAA BEFORE TYPING, AND UPTON ISSUED A WSW, AND I FIGURED, WE WOULD GET THERE TOO. I COULDN'T SEE THAT UPDATE HERE, UNTIL I POSTED, WITH MY SPEED AND DELIBERATION ( TWO FINGER TYPIST ), IN WHICH A SNAIL WOULD WIN ANY TYPING CONTEST.

Happy New Year to you too Mike! And, it's okay, feel free to update your forecast if you would like! j/k

I would be cautious there blizzardlover...18z NAM not the most reliable - plus I would bet the big "winner" with accumulation will be wherever the inverted trof sets up....which will likely be somewhere between Cape May and west bound up to somewhere out on Long Island

NAM total snowfall.. 

Looks like 4-6" Philly area, not factoring in better ratios..so maybe call it 5-9"?  

Heaviest snows seem to have shifted a bit NE.  NYC looks like they're in for a foot or more.

post-20276-1388607486_thumb.jpg

"Thursday Night Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 16. Wind chill values as low as -1. Windy, with a northeast wind 24 to 28 mph, with gusts as high as 39 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible."

Point and click for the jersey shore Monmouth county. That's really close to the B word with those winds.

Just a note that, based on modeling right now at least, I would not expect the good ratios to kick in until after midnight Friday night. Before then its too warm for... well, probably for anything better than 12:1.  At least, along I-95.

I'm forecasting clear skies friday night... looks like someone is gonna be very wrong :lmao:

Archived