• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2-3 Winter Storm Potential

Ralph Wiggum

I wonder, on a % percentage basis, what accuracy modeling has had from 120 hours out, to 24. Someone had to do a study.

As I detest model hugging, the manic up and down sine curve swings, storm/no storm, the panic it causes in those who live and die by these poor initialization biased tools, I would like everyone to think about the first question.

That said, I love the mesoscale options, but it almost seems playing darts with a blindfold, is as accurate as modeling gets. In the interim, when they get the "bias" and the need to "blend" out of modeling, how about surface maps and soundings to get to the how much will be IMBY. It is at least as accurate as nowcasting.

BTW, Philly Metro was supposed to hit 38 degrees today. It never went above freezing, and is now at 30.1 degrees, heavy overcast. I mention that to DC Mike as cold air is on the way. I noticed he already had light winds out of the North.

Model performance is evaluated daily and charts have been posted on this site in various threads.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never knew wind could actually hinder dendrite growth - you always learn something here. Thanks

No problem. Yeah, this area is tough for getting ratios above 12 or 15:1. Usually, it is because there is some riming somewhere due to a warm nose. No one can deny how freakin' cold the profiles get and how deep the dendritic snow growth zone gets early tomorrow. But yes, wind can rip the flakes apart, leaving you will a sandy like accumulation.

So despite the lesser wind and QPF in the NW areas, they may fluff their way to what someone in E-C NJ gets the windy/wet way. This is probably why Mt. Holly has a very solid area of 4-8" everywhere.

Feels good to be under the warning.  We were getting lonely being the only county in NJ without a WSW. :snowing:

There you go!

I would like to say, before it starts snowing, I've enjoyed the day long anticipation (it helps that there is a high level of confidence), with no angst over will it change to rain, etc., with a falling barometer, NE winds, slowly falling temps, and a snow looking sky and the radar looking good. Awesome!

Feels good to be under the warning.  We were getting lonely being the only county in NJ without a WSW. :snowing:

There you go!

I would like to say, before it starts snowing, I've enjoyed the day long anticipation (it helps that there is a high level of confidence), with no angst over will it change to rain, etc., with a falling barometer, NE winds, slowly falling temps, and a snow looking sky and the radar looking good. Awesome!

Well said! Enjoy the snow!

I know I definitely fear the chance of a dryslot.  Maybe they took that into account.

That slot is collapsing rapidly. If you have access, check relative humidity, or just your local NOAA.

As to the moderate snows tomorrow, after a lull, that will be from the inverted trough, and being at the back end of mesoscale modeling, showing deformation banding primarily out on the coastal plains of Jersey, with some comma tail backlash for Philly.

surprised neither office mentioned the dangers of the freezing drizzle / mist  for this evening commute. 

also : i'm not a 100% convinced were going from near 0 or below temperatures Saturday morning...to rain on Sunday.   (with the snowcover)   Sunday could be more interesting than expected.  12z GFS already hinting at this.

surprised neither office mentioned the dangers of the freezing drizzle / mist for this evening commute.

also : i'm not a 100% convinced were going from near 0 or below temperatures Saturday morning...to rain on Sunday. (with the snowcover) Sunday could be more interesting than expected. 12 GFS already hinting at this.

Not sure how snow cover is gonna help mid-level air temps...

Not sure how snow cover is gonna help mid-level air temps...

Just saying, it's going to be close. 

on 12z GFS, the low just needs to be 100 miles more east for it to be a snow/ wintry mix over most of the area.  And models usually underestimate brutally cold air-masses...so it's very much possible.  

Lets see what 18z throws at us.

Archived