amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Winter 2013-14 Pattern Discussion II

buckeyefan1

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep of the Euro verified that would be historic. I remember family telling me that year in 1985 that if you shut your car off the gas would freeze up.

I would say that's accurate...

I was thinking about how severe something like the 12z Euro would be for a lot of people. I would say 2/3rds of the people in this part of the world heat their homes with a Heat Pump or some sort of electrical unit. I would bet temps zero or below, people with a heat pump would be pretty much S.O.L. I know at my house our heating system has to work a little harder once you get into the teens for an extended period of time.

I would say that's accurate...

I was thinking about how severe something like the 12z Euro would be for a lot of people. I would say 2/3rds of the people in this part of the world heat their homes with a Heat Pump or some sort of electrical unit. I would bet temps zero or below, people with a heat pump would be pretty much S.O.L. I know at my house our heating system has to work a little harder once you get into the teens for an extended period of time.

Ya that type of cold would be very harsh. A shock to the system would be an understatement. Might also effect the power grid here with that type of cold.

Yeah, in those conditions, a heat pump is a little better than being outside naked, but that's about it. I've got a fireplace, so that would help a little bit.

Ya we have a wood stove and boy does that thing pump out the heat. Would be ok to cook on also.

Yes, but with those 850's, I think they would support those very cold 2 meter temp.'s. The Q in my mind is whether or not those 850's will actually occur. I think the odds are very low since it is such an extreme scenario. It has KATL down to a record tying -21C at 850 for example!!  850 mb records go back to ~1950.

GSP seems rather skeptical at this point.

.LONG TERM /FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY/...
AS OF 2 PM...THE MEDIUM RANGE TODAY OFFERS YET ANOTHER LESSON ON HOW
IT IS BEST TO NOT PUT TOO MUCH STOCK IN LOW CONFIDENCE FORECASTS IN
WINTERTIME
...AS ONCE AGAIN THERE ARE SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCES IN THE
MODEL GUIDANCE BEYOND DAY5. THE FORECAST IS PATTERNED AFTER WPC
GUIDANCE AND THE NEW ECMWF. THE FIRST PROBLEM CROPS UP SATURDAY
NIGHT AND SUNDAY MORNING. FOR NOW...THE FCST LAYS OFF THE 12Z RUN OF
THE GFS...AT LEAST FOR SATURDAY NIGHT AND SUNDAY...WHEN THAT MODEL
HAS POOR CONTINUITY AND APPEARS TOO DRY. THE ECMWF SHOWS AN UPPER
TROF DROPPING DOWN OVER THE PLAINS...WITH LOW LEVEL MOISTURE RETURN
BEGINNING BY SUNRISE ON SUNDAY. A SMALL POP IS KEPT IN THE FCST FOR
SUNDAY MORNING MAINLY OUT OF CONTINUITY WITH THE OLD FCST. WARM
ADVECTION AT LOW LEVELS WOULD PRECLUDE THIS PRECIP FROM FALLING AS
SNOW. IF THE LIGHT PRECIP DEVELOPS...IT WOULD BE IN THE FORM OF
LIGHT RAIN OR LIGHT FREEZING RAIN DEPENDING ON THE SURFACE
TEMPS...WHICH ARE EXPECTED TO BE IN THE UPPER 20S TO LOWER 30S. THE
P-TYPE SHOULD BE ALL RAIN BY MID-MORNING SUNDAY AS TEMPS CLIMB...
THAT IS IF PRECIP EVEN DEVELOPS BEFORE MIDDAY SUNDAY.

FROM THAT POINT ONWARD...THE 12Z OPERATIONAL ECMWF LOOKS REALLY FAR
OUT THERE
WITH A DEEP POLAR VORTEX DROPPING DOWN OVER THE MIDWEST
SUNDAY NIGHT AND MONDAY.
THIS BRINGS A VERY DYNAMIC SHORT WAVE OVER
THE WESTERN CAROLINAS WITH A DEEPENING MILLER-A TYPE LOW MOVING
RIGHT OVER THE FCST AREA. PRECIP TYPE WOULD BE MOSTLY RAIN AS THE
COLDER AIR IS KEPT ON THE W SIDE OF THE APPALACHIANS THROUGH SUNDAY
EVENING...BUT PRECIP WOULD CHANGE OVER TO SNOW OVER THE MTNS AFTER
SUNSET. THE TIMING...SCOPE...AND DEPTH OF THIS NEW DEVELOPMENT IS
HIGHLY UNCERTAIN...BUT WORTH KEEPING AN EYE ON FOR THE MTNS AS IT
WOULD RESULT IN AT LEAST ADVISORY LEVEL SNOWFALL OVER THE HIGHER
TERRAIN SUNDAY NIGHT AND MONDAY MORNING. THE FCST REFLECTS A WEAKER
VERSION OF THIS SCENARIO...RATHER THAN THE GFS WHICH HAS PRACTICALLY
NOTHING. TEMPS SUNDAY NIGHT AND MONDAY ARE ALSO HIGHLY UNCERTAIN AND
FOR NOW REFLECT A CONSENSUS OF THE GUIDANCE.

Yes, but with those 850's, I think they would support those very cold 2 meter temp.'s. The Q in my mind is whether or not those 850's will actually occur. I think the odds are very low since it is such an extreme scenario. It has KATL down to a record tying -21C at 850 for example!!  850 mb records go back to ~1950.

Odds are against this type of cold for sure and it's obvious when you look at the max highs/lows for GSO, the OP is an extreme outlier here, however it's also apparent that there are even more extreme outliers with individual mean members. Boone for instance is below zero in almost half the members in this time period. It will be interesting to see further runs of both the Euro and the GFS from here on out

2i1wPxw.png

Fwiw our local ch 4- NBC guy just was showing some excitement for a Sunday event! He touched on it yesterday, and was pretty excited today saying high totals for the mountains and will spill out into piedmont, has to be watched closely. I think he's one of the better mets we have on our local channels since Andy left.

Fwiw our local ch 4- NBC guy just was showing some excitement for a Sunday event! He touched on it yesterday, and was pretty excited today saying high totals for the mountains and will spill out into piedmont, has to be watched closely. I think he's one of the better mets we have on our local channels since Andy left.

I noticed that...that was Chris filling in for John Cessarich tonight, John usually is a bit more conservative.

For my area her in upstate this is my point and click from NWS....

Sunday A chance of rain or freezing rain. Partly sunny, with a high near 50. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Sunday Night A chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 34. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Monday A chance of rain and snow. Mostly sunny, with a high near 50. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

I was in Raleigh in 1985 and there was a little snow on the ground; low of -9 F at RDU.  I would guess less than an inch; no idea what it was like in the mountains other than extremely cold.  Believe it or not I rode my bicycle to class that morning and crashed on some ice.

I was in Wake Forest at the time. Unfortunately I don't remember a thing being less than a year old. :)

I was in Raleigh in 1985 and there was a little snow on the ground; low of -9 F at RDU. I would guess less than an inch; no idea what it was like in the mountains other than extremely cold. Believe it or not I rode my bicycle to class that morning and crashed on some ice.

I know Raleigh is up near the arctic so you guys are used to the cold, but here in the south there's no way any schools or colleges would be open if it were -9 degrees.

I know Raleigh is up near the arctic so you guys are used to the cold, but here in the south there's no way any schools or colleges would be open if it were -9 degrees.

I went to school through a lot of bitter outbreaks and don't remember school being closed just for cold. There always seemed to have snow or ice involved just enough to hamper things. 1994 had a pretty bad ice storm. We had bluebird skies with highs in the teens so the snow and ice didn't even melt with the sun. The ice on the driveway sublimated at the very bottom where a culvert ran through. We learned very quickly that sled tracks stop dead when the ice runs out.

I was in high school at the time living down east, It was brown ground but the ponds, lakes, creeks everything froze solid, even both of the sounds.

Ya just goes to show you that you dont need snow pack to get those types of temps especially if a lob of the PV drops down into the country. Not saying it will or wont but I though that year was very cold but not much snow.

Folks,

1983 and 1985 were both brutal, even down here. So was 1989.

But any reason to even remotely suspect a repeat?

We're looking at one model outlier unless something has changed ....

I think most are reminiscing about that year. Still impressive what the Euro is throwing out. Whether is will or won't happen i still to be seen but saying a zero chance it will verify is a mistake in weather. 

I was in Wake Forest at the time. Unfortunately I don't remember a thing being less than a year old. :)

Yeah I was 23 years old at that time, and crashed both my cars in one accident . My first car, which I sold to a friend, and he had it parked in the street as I plunged into it with my car. It was 4 inches of snow on the streets, and it was 3 below zero that morning. This was the coldest night in Norfolk Virginia's history (January 22, 1985) since 1871, when records began here.  I remember that arctic outbreak well, believe me !

This is sure one way to never forget the record temperature haha

Yeah I was 23 years old at that time, and crashed both my cars in one accident . My first car, which I sold to a friend, and he had it parked in the street as I plunged into it with my car. It was 4 inches of snow on the streets, and it was 3 below zero that morning. This was the coldest night in Norfolk Virginia's history (January 22, 1985) since 1871, when records began here. I remember that arctic outbreak well, believe me !

Archived