wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
January Forecast Discussion

REDMK6GLI

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Time to give that one up. The flow is too progressive and the trough is positively tilted. This is one for the deep south.

It gets a little annoying when people say "give up on this one". People said that yesterday, insisting we would not even see a flake. People said that about today as well, stating we will not see any snow falling. We all know how the models have been this winter, it can all change within 24-48 hours.

It gets a little annoying when people say "give up on this one". People said that yesterday, insisting we would not even see a flake. People said that about today as well, stating we will not see any snow falling. We all know how the models have been this winter, it can all change within 24-48 hours.

This one isn't happening unless there's a massive change in the handling of the trough causing the storm (it needs to become much more amplified and go to a negative tilt), and the PV can get out of the way much more so that it isn't squashing the pattern. I guess it's possible but it's very unlikely at this stage. I can't think of anyone who thought we wouldn't see a flake yesterday, I certainly wasn't one of them. I thought 1-2" and that's what happened. WAA like what is happening now can often generate snow showers. People need to start looking at the overall pattern and judge what is likely or not, instead of being weenies and expecting storms to just start appearing because of what happened last week.

GFS is now much further NW with the precip shield @ 66... but H5 it doesnt look like it will be able to get negative but a massive improvement wow

The trough is a little sharper this run and there's ever so slightly less resistance NE of here to the precip coming north. For the amount of time we have left we need a lot to happen, but I guess it's possible.

The trough is a little sharper this run and there's ever so slightly less resistance NE of here to the precip coming north. For the amount of time we have left we need a lot to happen, but I guess it's possible.

Yea a lot has to go right but we are in the same time frame when the trend began with the 2 previous storms so in this pattern nothing is off the table right now.

I'm telling you, NW trend is your friend. The NAO is not in a state that would allow suppression depression. The NAO is going to go from above +1 to about 0, which indicates coastal development, which is exactly what the gfs implies. 

Yea I am very interested in the ensembles to see if any are even more amped and if 0z doesn't back off.

Archived