• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
January Forecast Discussion

REDMK6GLI

Another thing is that this system is loaded with moisture and given the huge trend from 12z to 18z, it's very possible this trends further to the NW. The trough does not have to go negative, but it'll need to sharpen up a bit more so it can go at least near neutral.

Or a combination of a little more shift NW and maybe a more expansive precip shield might do it (plenty of moisture to work with, plus models have been trending wetter). 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hail Mary update...(may have been discussed earlier today)... looks like 3 of the GEFS members from 12z brought measurable to NYC.  The wettest was maybe a tenth or two..  The mean is still way offshore with precip.  5 or 6 of the 9z SREF members brought measurable (only 1 significant) with a mean of a few mm.  15z SREF backed of slightly.  I'm curious what the 18z GEFS will look like.  This clearly still has a long way to go.  Recently the GFS and SREF have been too far NW with precip.

Hail Mary update...(may have been discussed earlier today)... looks like 3 of the GEFS members from 12z brought measurable to NYC.  The wettest was maybe a tenth or two..  The mean is still way offshore with precip.  5 or 6 of the 9z SREF members brought measurable (only 1 significant) with a mean of a few mm.  15z SREF backed of slightly.  I'm curious what the 18z GEFS will look like.  This clearly still has a long way to go.  Recently the GFS and SREF have been too far NW with precip.

this is the 12Z GEFS and if this shifts northwest by as much as the OP at 18Z did - we are in the game for sure and thats when a new thread should be created

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs-ens/2014012612/gfs-ens_apcpn24_us.html

This looks quite a bit like 1/27/11. By that, I mean the Southern and Northern Vort phasing while entering East of the Mississippi River.

Really?  The 1/27/11 storm had a closed low at H5 in the se, strongly negatively tilted, with a ton of vorticity driving the surface low up the coast..

I dont see much similarity  between that and this  one escaping east this week.  Compare:

post-1338-0-37014700-1390777462_thumb.gi

post-1338-0-43535100-1390777479_thumb.gi

Really? The 1/27/11 storm had a closed low at H5 in the se, strongly negatively tilted, with a ton of vorticity driving the surface low up the coast..

I dont see much similarity between that and this one escaping east this week. Compare:

The point is that it's getting there. The difference is that the kicker is more involved in this one.

Yup, north and west.  The .5-.75 is at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay in MD -- previous runs had it near Hatteras. 

Highzenberg pointed out that the there is phasing occurring with the Baja low.  Furthermore, there's energy coming south east into the Gulf as well which is contributing to the low taking a more northwesterly track. You can see it happening in your link.

Really?  The 1/27/11 storm had a closed low at H5 in the se, strongly negatively tilted, with a ton of vorticity driving the surface low up the coast..

I dont see much similarity  between that and this  one escaping east this week.  Compare:

This is nothing like 1/27/11-for one the energy on that storm was much more intense and compact than this will be-it's essentially a massive overrunning system this time, a very suppressed SWFE. That storm also was the end point of the record west based NAO blocking episode we had that month and Dec 2010. We need a lot to happen for us to receive anything meaningful from this event at our latitude. The confluence needs to erode a lot more over Maine and SE Canada, and the trough needs to be more consolidated and take on a neutral and negative tilt. I don't think we have time enough left for those things to happen.

Yup, north and west.  The .5-.75 is at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay in MD -- previous runs had it near Hatteras. 

Highzenberg pointed out that the there is phasing occurring with the Baja low.  Furthermore, there's energy coming south east into the Gulf as well which is contributing to the low taking a more northwesterly track. You can see it happening in your link.

There is also more separation between the trough and kicker NW of it, allowing it to dig more and take a more amplified track.

Archived