• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January Forecast Discussion

REDMK6GLI

Everyone disagreed with analogy. He nailed the period then blew it with that comment

depends...if it truly warms up after the 28th-29th, I think he blew it--he went cold through the SB and was showing maps showing a foot of snow on the ground in the NYC around this date...if it's snowless and 45-50 going into Feb, I think he blew it.  He would have had the cold too long and too strong

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly would be suprised if we didnt get one widespread SECS in this pattern, It is ripe once the PV reloads. We just have to get used to the cold/dry and yes the winter cancel posts as well before we start trackin legit threats in our region

We will see. We are hoping for the same thing. Could doesn't always equal snow so u will knw soon enough

I think, as some are saying, that we generally always do have better chances at snow when a cold period relaxes anyway. It is common to get cold shots that push through, but very unusual to get a big snowstorm right in the middle of a prolonged cold outbreak. Usually these periods end up dry and cold. If I had to guess, I'd say February 2nd through the 15th is our best shot at a major snowstorm.

To tone down weenie suicides the 12z NAVGEM has a very dynamic clipper moving from the GL (1/23/05 like) and moves east and redevelops off the NJ coast at 132 hrs

I honestly think in my best opinion, this could put down a low warning end snowfall on Thursday w/ 4-7 inch entire NYC / LI and inland vicinity areawide.  Like the dynamics of this system w/ 510-516 1000-500 thickness with near blizzard 4-6 hour event.  An arctic wave/clipper that produces more than many think until Tuesday night models start showing it better.  I bet the ECMWF sniffs it out on the upcoming run.  Ear plugs, gas, stabilizer and snowblower on low end staandby.

To tone down weenie suicides the 12z NAVGEM has a very dynamic clipper moving from the GL (1/23/05 like) and moves east and redevelops off the NJ coast at 132 hrs

The NAVGEM needs a compass to know north from south and a gyroscope to know up from down. It would have a hard time beating the future predictions of a bad economist even it was having a good day. I hope you are right but I never liked that model. GFS has the 50's by month's end now with rain.

I always laugh when people in the Coastal Plain (NJ, NYC, LI) worry about cold and dry suppression, blah, blah, blah. 8/10 times that doesn't happen. I actually love hearing it because it means it is going to snow. You get an occasional suppressed pattern (even then when it lifts we usually get some snow), but thus ain't VT, we need a significantly below normal patent to get snow chances. Embrace it, getting the cold is the hard part at 40N near the ocean. Once you get it you are in the ballgame. If we get a week or two of significantly below normal cold I think we'll lay down snow. I would bet on at least a moderate event with a better than normal chance of a significant event. Worry more about the cold pattern being a mirage and short-lived. If it comes to fruition I bet we get snow, keep talking cold and supressed, it's a Coastal Plain dream.

Not surprising...euro has been steady in the longer range with the cold while the gfs changes greatly from run to run.

It would be nice if the SW vort on the Euro day 8-10  can kick out and come out more phased instead of

suppressed of the Southeast Coast. But the strong PV and clipper may kick it a little too far east and

we get two separate lows.

I lov all the " it's dry" comments but totally ignore the day 10 coast to coast cold

Pos Pna intact

Cold without snow is useless. I much rather have warmer weather then just cold temperatures and dry weather. 

IMHO ECM has not been stellar this year and is subject to its fallacies  .. So at this point i would think the GFS has as much chance of verifying as the ECM does. 

GFS has the forecasted indices on its side for the end of the month...

ECM not as much....

Battle of the models! :)

Cold without snow is useless. I much rather have warmer weather then just cold temperatures and dry weather. 

IMHO ECM has not been stellar this year and is subject to its fallacies  .. So at this point i would think the GFS has as much chance of verifying as the ECM does. 

GFS has the forecasted indices on its side for the end of the month...

ECM not as much....

Battle of the models! :)

The GFS ensembles 14 of its 20 members from day 10 thru 15 are below normal.

Cold alone stinks. No argument here. Thinks the GFS OP too warm too fast

Archived