• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January Forecast Discussion

REDMK6GLI

The GFS has a tendency to go through stretches where it wants to break persistent patterns down beyond Day 10, remember last winter and in 11-12 it kept trying to go cold at times and it never happened...I do think we will eventually snap this long wave pattern in the next 8 weeks or so but just do not know when, it may not be til nearly the end of March, the -EPO pattern is extremely hard to bust as evidenced in the springs of 94 and 03...we stayed in them relatively long and by far this winter is probably the most persistent -EPO we've seen the last 20 years along with 93-94 and 02-03.

Hey man good to see u checking in. Bluewave and I were thinking the JMA had a nice Feb gradient pattern look to it ala 94

It's a hard year to look too because it seemed the baroclinic zone set up at the Mason Dixon line and everything worked

Not sure how it shakes our but having a neg EPO will allow low level cold air to push

Next 10 days doesn't make or break winter but it would b nice for something to stick

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suspect February will be a much snowier month. This month is all about the cold. February, on average, tends to be snowier, at least for my region.

0 GFS signals no snow though day 10+

No storms crashing into Cali.

Looking at the pattern, we need hope and change.

After day 10, we pop warm period(40 plus)

I truly hope this is wrong, but the signal is the following

Very cold through day 5 or 6.

temps moderate with no cali storms day 6 to 10

Best

Yeah, it just simply looks bad. We need a big change to this to get snow

Plenty of opportunity.

The idea of a historic pattern are lost. 

Strange how I have to post about it, but I was never sold on it.

What we have going imop.

5-7 days of cold

If what the GFS shows at 8-10 days out a true is a warm up,

Pattern can/will produce an over running event with snow imop.

Plenty of opportunity.

The idea of a historic pattern are lost. 

Strange how I have to post about it, but I was never sold on it.

What we have going imop.

5-7 days of cold

If what the GFS shows at 8-10 days out a true is a warm up,

Pattern can/will produce an over running event with snow imop.

The idea of a historic pattern is not lost and the weather over this period has not occurred yet, so anything can still happen. Also, we are going into an extremely cold period, I would for now, forget about the warm-up advertised by the GFS, as that may or may not ever happen. It's just that this pattern so far, show a minimal amount of moisture affiliated with it, little or no active STJ, the only way to get significant moisture here is off the Atlantic, and to do that, things have to slow down. In order for that to happen, we need either high latitude blocking or a rapidly intensifying storm to create its own environment. And in the fast progressive flow with the PNA ridge too far east, we are not seeing that. But there's still time for this to change. 

WX/PT

The idea of a historic pattern is not lost and the weather over this period has not occurred yet, so anything can still happen. Also, we are going into an extremely cold period, I would for now, forget about the warm-up advertised by the GFS, as that may or may not ever happen. It's just that this pattern so far, show a minimal amount of moisture affiliated with it, little or no active STJ, the only way to get significant moisture here is off the Atlantic, and to do that, things have to slow down. In order for that to happen, we need either high latitude blocking or a rapidly intensifying storm to create its own environment. And in the fast progressive flow with the PNA ridge too far east, we are not seeing that. But there's still time for this to change.

WX/PT

Wxoutlooks,

I respect you to the best.

I don't have the years of experience as you regarding daily forecasting.

My main issue is that I have the ability to view the following weather computer models.

GFS, EURO etc. Sure call me a modelogist, but I can and do understand math and basic science.

All computer models that forecasters use crapped the bed for the opportunity that it showed for so called good pattern. The word great was used in conversation in this portal over 2 to 4 days.

Imop when we get good patterns, they just happen! You get in the moment and reflect a month or years later.

Best

I have to agree with wintersGrasp It definitely looks like cold and dry followed by a warm up and rain.. I want snow just as bad as everyone else but imo it just doesn't look like that's going to happen. I also don't see this awesome pattern that everyone was talking about at least it doesn't look that that way when I look at my nws forecast for the next 7 days...... I hope I turn out to be wrong in everything I wrote but that's what I think right now.....

Its tough being patient. Just because the long range operational runs look like crap it doesn't mean the pattern won't improve. GEFS does look a lot better than the OP. The first step in any winter scenario is getting the cold in place, established after a fairly long warmup. Give the operational guidance a few runs to catch on now that we have the cold in place. Even then, with so much energy, so many little vorts, guidance is going to be poor until 36 - 48h out. What looks like crap now could very well turn into something decent. Just now the Euro shows some light snows over the region for Tuesday, something it hasn't shown for days. Give this thing, this pattern some time before calling it a bust and be patient. I guarantee everyone on this board will have 30+" by Feb 20th. It will happen.

IMHO that is a strong guarantee as right now their is no mechanism in place to slow down the flow and the position of the PV screams suppression. So you have these weak little moisture starved clippers move thru which redevelop to far off the coast to have any real effect on the sensible weather.

For instance the 23rd-24th on the ECM is less then an inch of snow in most locales....

The example for tuesday is less then a 10 inch liquid equivalent...

We absolutely need something to slow the flow down or we could go thru this period as most guidance suggests cold and dry.. 

IMHO that is a strong guarantee as right now their is no mechanism in place to slow down the flow and the position of the PV screams suppression. So you have these weak little moisture starved clippers move thru which redevelop to far off the coast to have any real effect on the sensible weather.

For instance the 23rd-24th on the ECM is less then an inch of snow in most locales....

We absolutely need something to slow the flow down or we could go thru this period as most guidance suggests cold and dry.. 

Don't worry about the snow totals at this moment. We will figure that out as we get closer. The euro still has a storm signal for Thursday.

I agree my man it's just not there. The GFS day 10 thru 15 20 member ensemble temp mean in the east is cold

Not even close to the operational

So we may get the 15 days of cold but there's some light snow tues and friday as per euro and the Canadian is a little

Deeper for Friday . Just gona have to wait to see if a bigger system comes at the end of the period .

Can't win em all

You see the same thing at 162 hrs... You have less then a tenth of an inch and once the system is past the heaviest moisture is over the ocean.. Blame this on the progressiveness of the pattern and the lack of blocking to slow down the flow..

If the PV is causing suppression so would a neg NAO IMO in this pattern

What I see is a trough axis thats too far East because the ridge axis in the west is too far east and the flow is under and out

You may not need a neg NAO as much as u need a retrogression PV so u have room to amplify along the EC

These spokes of energy rotate right through downslope and dry out .

If the PV is causing suppression so would a neg NAO IMO in this pattern

What I see is a trough axis thats too far East because the ridge axis in the west is too far east and the flow is under and out

You may not need a neg NAO as much as u need a retrogression PV so u have room to amplify along the EC

These spokes of energy rotate right through downslope and dry out .

Probably correct on that.. I think we would have a much better chance with any systems with a - PNA with the EPO being negative because the - EPO would bring down the cold while the - PNA would place a SE ridge in place to bring some systems up the coast..

I know this alone kinda bites it for people but day 10 on the euro is still cold

Kinda like the bun without the meat. Happens

However...at day ten (yes i know its day 10) you can see the cold relaxing somewhat and the ridging knocked down somewhat and a system forming in the GOM region. A low pressure moves into the PNW which knocks the ridge down.. Is it correct is the thing since it is a day 10 prog!

Mt Holly giving props to the snow Capitol of NJ.

NEXT CLIPPER TYPE LOW TO PASS ON THURSDAY. THE GFS AND UKMET REMAIN

MOST MUTED. WHILE THE CAN GGEM, NOGAPS AND JMA ARE MOST BULLISH. THE

ECMWF WAS TRENDING MORE TOWARD TUE AND SLIGHTLY LESS TOWARD THU. IT

WILL BE COLD ON THU SO WHATEVER SNOW FALLS WILL STICK EASILY. THERE

IS A NORLUN CLUSTERING AROUND MONMOUTH COUNTY IN OUR CWA. LAST

COUPLE OF WINTERS ONE CANT GO WRONG EXPECTING A SNOW MAX IN

MONMOUTH COUNTY. OUR HIGHEST POPS ARE NORTH VS SOUTH.

Mt Holly giving props to the snow Capitol of NJ.

NEXT CLIPPER TYPE LOW TO PASS ON THURSDAY. THE GFS AND UKMET REMAIN

MOST MUTED. WHILE THE CAN GGEM, NOGAPS AND JMA ARE MOST BULLISH. THE

ECMWF WAS TRENDING MORE TOWARD TUE AND SLIGHTLY LESS TOWARD THU. IT

WILL BE COLD ON THU SO WHATEVER SNOW FALLS WILL STICK EASILY. THERE

IS A NORLUN CLUSTERING AROUND MONMOUTH COUNTY IN OUR CWA. LAST

COUPLE OF WINTERS ONE CANT GO WRONG EXPECTING A SNOW MAX IN

MONMOUTH COUNTY. OUR HIGHEST POPS ARE NORTH VS SOUTH.

6z GFS hr 66 850s minus 10 Light snow hr 72 850s minus 15. Light snow . Temps r in the teens and falling

And the models now printing out .10 plus , looks sharper on the GFS

Would love to see if we could drop .25 inch here with that look . The models are hopefully on there way

to playing catch up the way they did with yesterday's system from westchester to New England from 3 days out .

We are just going to have to be happy with nickel and dime smaller events as

there are just too many kickers in this progressive flow for one big storm to

occur here. The other main problem once we start February is we loose the

+PNA and -AO pattern as the EPO ridge retrogrades and the PV exits 

Hudson Bay for Greenland. The JMA advertised gradient pattern will

allow the SE ridge to flex its muscles without any Atlantic blocking to

keep it in check. The -PNA/+AO pattern setting up around the beginning

of February is not a snowlovers pattern.

attachicon.gifpna.sprd2.gif

attachicon.gifao.sprd2.gif

If that is true NYC south is in big trouble!

Archived