wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
January Forecast Discussion

REDMK6GLI

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hour 156 is a nice little snowstorm for New England as the low passes near the benchmark. 850mb temps are around -18C for our region at that hour. Could be some good ratios depending on snow growth.

This one has legs because of the ridge out west. I'd expect this could be a classic Miller B snowstorm for Philly to NE if it comes together. 

Meanwhile back at the ranch, low pressure is organizing in the western gulf region by next weekend. The western ridge is amplified and stretches up to near Alaska. Another piece of the PV is dropping south through central Canada and energy is diving down the back side of the ridge. Low pressure is near Denver which is a pretty classic spot for miller A initiation.

At last at hour 198 low pressure is coming together over northern GA. The southern stream seemed to sit around forever waiting for the energy to drop in from the north. Things might come together just a bit too late this run, we'll see.

Normally I would say this has a risk of slipping OTS but that Atlantic ridge looks locked in thanks to some blocking.

The PV ends up winning out this run and keeps it weak. Give me this setup 100 times and it's going to produce 80 of them.

We get an arctic front passage as the southern stream low passes well offshore. The clipper redevelops bringing yet another shot at light snow and something more significant for northern New England. -30C temps into the northern plains by Sunday night.

This steady stream of clippers is going to help reinforce the blocking over Greenland. If you build it, they will come.

This weekend is the start of a Wintry pattern as we have transition away from the milder weather. Ths looks to b a 2 to 3 week period of below normal temps throughout the area with a few chances at snow. As the trough axis is pulled back and the blocking Starts to take effect by week 2 there will b plenty of chances for snow. Next Friday mayb the first chance but the models hint that we go Into superbowl week should See this pay off. Snow is never a guarantee and it's never Gona show up wire to wire on the models. So patience us required and by the time the pattern breaks I think u all get ur snow.

Might be a dumb question but with these possible storms does the coast have to worry about changing to rain like we did with every storm in December???

Think that's always an option on the coastal plain

No matter good the pattern looks from a distance

just cross that bridge if ur lucky to come to it

Just beautiful

test8.gif

Yes, the pattern over the next 7-10 days is going to be cold and dry, but with multiple chances at cashing in on redeveloping clippers. The 12z GGEM ensemble mean has a low south of Long Island Thursday night. Looks juiced too.

can't rely on just one model by itself - especially the Canadian - that model always likes to spit out solutions no other model agrees with

can't rely on just one model by itself - especially the Canadian - that model always likes to spit out solutions no other model agrees with

I thought it was already understood that the GFS and Euro ops both had it. Especially the Euro. The 12z Euro verbatim is a SECS.

A few of the 12z GEFS individual members were major storms.

Archived