• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Forecast Discussion

REDMK6GLI

The 12z operational GFS is in line with the earlier run of the ensembles (12z isn't finished yet), showing 1-2 standard deviation cold on January 22. That implies the possibility of a high temperature below 20° (approximately 1.7σ below the average 1/21-23 high) and another low temperature in the single digits (approximately 1.5σ below the average 1/21-23 low).

To date, NYC has had 4 single-digit lows (most since 2004-05 when there were 8) and 2 high temperatures below 20° (most since 2003-04 when there were 4).

Don, the interesting thing about this January is how the first Arctic outbreak was within the first ten days of the month...middle

ten days mild thaw...followed by return to Arctic cold last ten. I don't think there have been many Januarys with such a sharply

defined cold- warm -cold patten. It seems like there have been plenty of cold all month long Januarys and warm to cold and

cold to warm with the traditional thaw.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don, the interesting thing about this January is how the first Arctic outbreak was within the first ten days of the month...middle

ten days mild thaw...followed by return to Arctic cold last ten. I don't think there have been many Januarys with such a sharply

defined cold- warm -cold patten. It seems like there have been plenty of cold all month long Januarys and warm to cold and

cold to warm with the traditional thaw.

I agree. It will be fun to see how all this plays out, both in terms of cold and also potential snowfall, especially if some blocking can develop.

I agree. It will be fun to see how all this plays out, both in terms of cold and also potential snowfall, especially if some blocking can develop.

Don , the CFS V2 and the Euro Ensembles day 15 looks blocky over the top  look to get you to feb 10 ish , can you see it longer ? 

Mmm that is a tasty SECS Though i dont think that is our storm. However once past next week our chances really ramp up for something bigger/widespread

I wouldn't dismiss this threat as the Euro still had it as of last night (we'll find out soon if it still does). We might not see a foot from it but could still be a decent accumulating event.

WOOF! The system between the 26 th and 28th really has my full attention!

as I have mentioned a few times in the last 2 days that is the one that keeps appearing on the GFS - its time to get down to business here and concentrate on legit threats and dates - January 26 -28th is the most legit threat right now that has potential to be significant. Jan 21st - 22nd has possibilities also

17 MB drop in 6 hours would feature a blizzard from Philly to Boston and prob thunder snow in NE

That is one POTENT storm but im not sold on it being anything more than an accumulating snowfall due to the pattern not yet being condusive enough to allow for that much digging in a still progressive pattern

The 12z Euro has the inverted trough signal for Saturday morning. Then it looks nothing like the GGEM for next week. The Euro looks more like the GFS for that time period with development much further offshore. The Euro then has the energy diving down the east side of the ridge the middle of next week in nearly the same spot as the 12z GFS. The end of next week looks to have a few days with highs in the teens at the coast and single digits inland.

A reinforcing shot of arctic air comes into International Falls next Thursday with -20 F surface temps up that way, and -30 F not far away into Canada.

Meanwhile our storm system in the long range is dropping down through the Rockies and it's over the TX Panhandle by hour 168. About the same so far as the 00z run. A huge PNA ridge extends a long the west coast all the way up into Alaska and the amplification of this ridge resembles a bullet about to fired out of a gun.

At hour 192 a surface reflection now exists over the deep south with precip breaking out over Arkansas and northern Louisiana.

At hour 198 high pressure is centered over this area, temperatures have begun to moderate but we're still seeing highs below freezing. Meanwhile precip is now breaking out in earnest over the deep south. By hour 204 snow is knocking on our doorstep. 850mb temps are in the -10 C range. The 850mb freezing line is south of Atlanta.

Hour 210 light snow is overspreading the region from west to east. One low pressure system is over the Ohio Valley and a second low is over the Carolinas. Apps getting hammered.

Hour 216 the area is getting crushed by a developing CCB. The surface low passes tucked in right off the NJ coast, but the 850mb freezing line is over 100 miles offshore. This is an epic snow bomb for the whole northeast.

Hour 222 the surface low is over Cape Cod sub 992mb. Some wrap around moisture for us. QPF totals are 0.50-0.75", all snow. Snow maps show 6-8"+ areawide.

The cold into the mid-west at day ten is epic on the Euro, huge area of -40C 850mb temps or colder. It's off the charts which only go down to -40C on my maps. Surface temps of -35 to -40F in northern Minnesota.

The 12z Euro has the inverted trough signal for Saturday morning. Then it looks nothing like the GGEM for next week. The Euro looks more like the GFS for that time period with development much further offshore. The Euro then has the energy diving down the east side of the ridge the middle of next week in nearly the same spot as the 12z GFS. The end of next week looks to have a few days with highs in the teens at the coast and single digits inland.

A reinforcing shot of arctic air comes into International Falls next Thursday with -20 F surface temps up that way, and -30 F not far away into Canada.

Meanwhile our storm system in the long range is dropping down through the Rockies and it's over the TX Panhandle by hour 168. About the same so far as the 00z run. A huge PNA ridge extends a long the west coast all the way up into Alaska and the amplification of this ridge resembles a bullet about to fired out of a gun.

At hour 192 a surface reflection now exists over the deep south with precip breaking out over Arkansas and northern Louisiana.

At hour 198 high pressure is centered over this area, temperatures have begun to moderate but we're still seeing highs below freezing. Meanwhile precip is now breaking out in earnest over the deep south. By hour 204 snow is knocking on our doorstep. 850mb temps are in the -10 C range. The 850mb freezing line is south of Atlanta.

Hour 210 light snow is overspreading the region from west to east. One low pressure system is over the Ohio Valley and a second low is over the Carolinas. Apps getting hammered.

Hour 216 the area is getting crushed by a developing CCB. The surface low passes tucked in right off the NJ coast, but the 850mb freezing line is over 100 miles offshore. This is an epic snow bomb for the whole northeast.

Amazing Analysis

MECS possibility at about D9 range, nice. If it shows this solution by monday ill start getting excited ;)

12z Euro continues pattern of having too much eye candy past 72 hrs like yesterdays run.

Kickerfest 2014 is kicking around the Euro pretty good lately. I can't remember the last

time the Euro had so many wiffs.

Might be a case where the Euro is slowing down the pattern too much. Until I see signs of a developing favorable NAO, I woulsn't be that excited about significant or major events (significant is over 6"). Clippers however are another story-I could see us getting lucky with a redeveloper or quick shot of snow through the Northeast.

Too bad the euro hasn't been that good lately.

The longer range model runs past day 5 just shows the pattern is going to be active - does not mean we are going to see any significant storms - in fact without a negative NAO to slow this pattern down and the polar vortex coming too far south southern stream storms are more favored to miss us south and east ......think this will be a good pattern for storms for  the southern mid atlantic especially.

Yep. Can't believe more people aren't posting just to discuss the upcoming pattern. Both the GFS and Euro look fantastic in the LR.

I think people are being cautious. They look great now but things can change. Its hard to be positive sometimes with regards to long range outlooks and snow chances. I've learned to try not too look beyond 7 days. That goes for when people are touting a major thaw or torch too. Often times the closer we get the more muted they become.

I think people are being cautious. They look great now but things can change. Its hard to be positive sometimes with regards to long range outlooks and snow chances. I've learned to try not too look beyond 7 days. That goes for when people are touting a major thaw or torch too. Often times the closer we get the more muted they become.

I guess. And cautious is a good thing to be. Doesn't mean we can't discuss the potential more. The potential after the 22nd is as good as any since 2010 probably.

Archived