12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
December 21-22nd Winter Storm Part 3

Chicago Storm

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the GFS is a beaut...but I think I'd still be riding 4-8" here locally...can always walk the amounts up/down as we get closer, its a good range for now. 

Skilling talking about expanding the watches in to metro Chicago would be totally shocking, but mainly for the icing potential around the city away from the lake especially.  It certainly wouldn't be a watch for snowfall accumulation in the city proper. 

the snow map for this GFS run seems strange to me. the heavy snow swath orients very NE whereas the low track is more ENE. so makes me wonder if the model is struggling with cold air wrapping around. the one thing I did notice, esp with the last snowstorm last week, is that models struggle with taking dynamic cooling into account. this system has some intense UVV, esp in the def band. so a changeover could happen sooner and therefore higher totals to the south where it only shows 1-2in now. Im sitting just west of the IL river in Chillicothe. im going to be close the freezing line if models don't shift more south.

All things considered, I think the models have done a pretty decent job given a 100+ mile margin of error in the past 36 hours. Not sure we can expect much more. Certainly, with this crowd, 100 miles can make all the difference but they've done a pretty decent job IMO.

I'm going with a 6-8" call IMBY at this point. I have the luxury of being in the "midwest snow jackpot" over the past few years but I'm not complaining...

Good luck everyone...

This will help tomorrow....not to mention actually having the northern stream sampled....

NOUS42 KWNO 200344
ADMNFD
SENIOR DUTY METEOROLOGIST NWS ADMINISTRATIVE MESSAGE
NWS NCEP CENTRAL OPERATIONS COLLEGE PARK MD
0343Z FRI DEC 20 2013
00Z GFS IS ON SCHEDULE..
CRITICAL WEATHER DAY STATUS
A REGIONAL CRITICAL WEATHER DAY...CWD...WILL BE DECLARED AT
1200Z SAT DEC 21 2013 AND EXTEND THROUGH 2359Z SUN DEC 22
DUE TO SEVERE WEATHER POTENTIAL FROM TEXAS THROUGH THE OHIO
VALLEY..THE FOLLOWING NWS REGIONS ARE IMPACTED BY THIS
CWD...SOUTHERN/CENTRAL. NCEP/NWSTG AND THE NCF ARE ALSO
PARTICIPATING IN THIS CWD TO ENSURE A RELIABLE FLOW OF
WEATHER DATA.

Bo, would get his storm still. And would not have to resort to watching lake effect snow videos. haha

Bo will get more from the wrap around LES than the system.... Just less water content.

As I have been saying.... Cadillac, MI is the jackpot zone.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Yeah with my clients I think I'm going to solidify a call of 6-9" in the metro QC, Rockford to Burlington in the 4-7" range, Chicago back down towards Peoria in the 1-3" zone...from Prairie Du Chien back thru Waterloo and Des Moines generally 3-6" roughly.... I think this is looking like a better and better guess at this point and that's what it is a guess still since that Northern vort is still up there yet to be fully examined by the balloons...

Even if the NAM verifies we'd have a white Christmas. Assuming 1-1.5" of QPF, at 3-4:1 ratios that's 3-5" of PL. Obviously not as good as snow but you might be able to actually improve on your snowdepth. :lol:

Man, during your three hour flight tomorrow you're going to be wishing you could check this board for updates at the rate this thing is developing!

Overall the last several runs from most guidance has looked pretty decent for eastern Iowa and northern IL.  My overall confidence in all guidance is lower than normal at this range, so I really ain't thinking too much about amounts for any given area yet.  Definitely looks like a nice swath of 4-8" wherever the main band sets up.  Think we'll be in store for some additional shifts tomorrow morning, and even tomorrow evening. 

Even if the NAM verifies we'd have a white Christmas. Assuming 1-1.5" of QPF, at 3-4:1 ratios that's 3-5" of PL. Obviously not as good as snow but you might be able to actually improve on your snowdepth. :lol:

Is that the thinking now? Hope not. April 3rd-4th, 2003 was greatest shoveling nightmare.

The weight of 8 inches ice pellets was most physically taxing.

This system is still full of uncertainty for main precip. that will accumulate in T.O.

.No pingers.....please.! 

Is that the thinking now? Hope not. April 3rd-4th, 2003 was greatest shoveling nightmare.

The weight of 8 inches ice pellets was most physically taxing.

This system is still full of uncertainty for main precip. that will accumulate in T.O.

.No pingers.....please.! 

Remember it well. Got a snow (well sleet I guess) day because the tires on my mom's car were encased in pellets. Could not get out of the driveway.

Not a certainty by any stretch this time. Just one of the scenarios on the table.

Archived