bowsunski
    Newest Member
    bowsunski
December 21-22nd Winter Storm Part 3

Chicago Storm

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not nearly as worried as I was a couple days ago re: ZR potential. I think there will be some headaches in some areas and some localized outages but I'm not seeing enough ZR at this point to be too devastating. After that northern plume was tested the models have shifted to a more southerly track. I'm calling for a mostly PL event with some ZR and SN change. Messy, but not devastating.

That strong SE ridge ... just nothing stong enough over Quebec to block this thing.

I never really liked the placement of the blocking vortex over northern Quebec. It seems too far north to me to really send this storm through the grinder like the GEM and UKIE are showing. But I can't wrap my head around the NAM scoring a coup against all the other globals.

Not nearly as worried as I was a couple days ago re: ZR potential. I think there will be some headaches in some areas and some localized outages but I'm not seeing enough ZR at this point to be too devastating. After that northern plume was tested the models have shifted to a more southerly track. I'm calling for a mostly PL event with some ZR and SN change. Messy, but not devastating.

Yeah, this sucker is cooking through the area. Won't have enough time to wreak havoc. But still, .25"+ of ice is enough to cause some serious headaches.

I was leaning that way 12 hours ago. Now I don't know.

As we're not going to get a snowstorm out of this, I'm perfectly fine with this POS tracking from STL to ORD to MBS so we can also avoid the ice and 33*F/34*F rain.

And the snowpack is already dissapearing, slowly but steadily.

To be honest but I would much prefer a strong storm like you are saying.  If we can get some decent westward winds on the back sided of this we maybe able to get some quick Lake MI LES on the 24th to make is look like Christmas!  I just want it to be all snow around BO because that area is my snow vacation spot!!

i've been in the NW camp all along...we saw some tease east shift but it's going to wind up big and cut like a knife

I dunno. As much as I don't like the positioning of the upstream blocking, something seems a little fishy about the NAM sfc low placement. It's virtually right atop the string of PVA at 500mb. To make better synoptic sense, shouldn't it be displaced somewhat to the SE? This isn't a fully phased, closed ul low, when you'd eventually see stacking going on.

I dunno. As much as I don't like the positioning of the upstream blocking, something seems a little fishy about the NAM sfc low placement. It's virtually right atop the string of PVA at 500mb. To make better synoptic sense, shouldn't it be displaced somewhat to the SE? This isn't a fully phased, closed ul low, when you'd eventually see stacking going on.

It is actually NW of the PVA at 500mb. NAM is rewriting meteorology with that run.

I was leaning that way 12 hours ago. Now I don't know.

I don't think the GTA will see much PL/SN from this event at all. Whether precip falls as RN or ZR is going to depend on sfc temps IMO as its going to be very close. The 850-700mb level definitely looks warm enough to melt the SN completely with thicknesses above 155 for majority of the event besides a few hours at the onset where soundings favour more of a PL situation, especially north of the 401.

Archived