joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 17th Clipper Discussion

ORH_wxman

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Second s/w is better again although the first one is still in the way.

The 2nd one is not going to be the player in this unless something drastically changes in this close. We'll want to hope the first one is strong. Too bad because the 2nd one is a beast...and we'd probably get a like a 8-12" storm out of it if it weren't for the front runner.

The 2nd one is not going to be the player in this unless something drastically changes in this close. We'll want to hope the first one is strong. Too bad because the 2nd one is a beast...and we'd probably get a like a 8-12" storm out of it if it weren't for the front runner.

I'd rather not the first. The first initiates it, but we may not have a choice. The GFS really was trying to get more influence from the second.

NAM has those amazing changes in the last 6 hours but it's still not quite enough.  BUT it may be so far behind the curve Will.  

I'd rather not the first. The first initiates it, but we may not have a choice. The GFS really was trying to get more influence from the second.

Yeah I think we have no choice...as long as the first one even exists, it is going to tighten the mid-level baroclinic zone up and the conditions behind it are shot for the 2nd shortwave...nothing really to work with.

Maybe we get lucky and the models totally screw it up this close, but I'll keep expectations in the advisory range...and hope we get a Dec '97, lol. :lol:

Hasnt the first one been trending weaker all day, or at least w diminishing the mid pm "thump"

Yeah I think we have no choice...as long as the first one even exists, it is going to tighten the mid-level baroclinic zone up and the conditions behind it are shot for the 2nd shortwave...nothing really to work with.

Maybe we get lucky and the models totally screw it up this close, but I'll keep expectations in the advisory range...and hope we get a Dec '97, lol. :lol:

Ha, one can hope...but I'm just hoping for an advisory as well. I think it may really rip for a couple of hours. The lift progged looks good and it may be a bit unstable.

Yeah.  Whats interesting is the 2nd s/w is digging enough to help the 1st one track closer to the coast.  At least it's not kicking it out.

Will, what was so special about that set-up that yielded such ridiculous snowfall rates?  On general glance it looks like your typical SWFE.

I still like my map from yesterday with 2-4'' for much of the region with 4-6'' for a chunk of RI and eastern MA with the exception of the Cape.  Pretty nice VV's at 925/850/700 move in and increasing LLJ should throw back even more moisture into the system.  Like the somewhat unstable look to the soundings as well...perhaps not enough to warrant any thundersnow, but enough to make for some pockets of heavier rates.  Perhaps the 6'' of the scale will be tough to verify but some spots may be able to squeak close.  

Yeah there's definitely some beta-synoptic scale interference in there ... 

This 00z run does have a little sharper lead s/w

Will, what was so special about that set-up that yielded such ridiculous snowfall rates?  On general glance it looks like your typical SWFE.

We've been asking that question for years and nobody really knows...its really unknown as to why the amounts were so extreme. (different from, say, a 1-3" storm turning into a 8-10" fluff bomb) There may have been gravity waves involved, but that alone isn't exactly satisfactory.

I do like the instability progged in the current system...so I won't be surprised if some pretty intense rates are seen few a lucky few.

Yeah there's definitely some beta-synoptic scale interference in there ... 

This 00z run does have a little sharper lead s/w

Take a look at the 500mb progs centered on 12z Wednesday.  About as massive a change as you'll ever see in this tight (nam etc).  Models are having a really hard time figuring out the first s/w is going to get squashed by the 2nd.

GFS I bet is game on tonight...maybe a few other models too.  The first impulse will ramp up some snow...the low will slow as it waits for the more potent energy to dig down.   I think there's a decent chance now we see snow continuing right into Wednesday....

Archived