Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December 17th Clipper Discussion

ORH_wxman

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting trend in our 12km RPM model, it's showing two storms to impact eastern Mass; the initial, stronger event tomorrow afternoon under a developing coastal low, with a second low now developing south of Long Island and tracking northeastward favoring another shot of snow Wednesday morning. Has anyone ever seen back to back coastal lows as this model suggests? I'm sure there are some convection parameterization things going on here but if so, maybe the courser res models are not successfully resolving the second system?

https://twitter.com/MJVentrice/status/412712347363319808/photo/1

The 18Z GFS op has an interesting structure on 12Z Wednesday in 6-hour accum precip plots; almost resembles the double low-scenario.

Interesting trend in our 12km RPM model, it's showing two storms to impact eastern Mass; the initial, stronger event tomorrow afternoon under a developing coastal low, with a second low now developing south of Long Island and tracking northeastward favoring another shot of snow Wednesday morning. Has anyone ever seen back to back coastal lows as this model suggests? I'm sure there are some convection parameterization things going on here but if so, maybe the courser res models are not successfully resolving the second system?

The 18Z GFS op has an interesting structure on 12Z Wednesday in 6-hour accum precip plots; almost resembles the double low-scenario.

The two bagger has always been on the table I think as the models have struggled between one earlier low and an elongated first low that waits for energy.

It's an interesting and viable option but I would still favor one stronger low

Different setup I'm sure as I don't recall a clipper being involved...but I think 1/18/09-1/19/09 had some 2 low scenario. We had a first low that was originally progged to give us 2-4/3-6 or something significant overnight the 17th into the 18th in CT. First low crapped out and we didn't even get a 0.5" I believe although it may have dropped more further east. Then the forecasted secondary low popped the evening of the 18th. Originally it was progged to impact only the Cape I believe but ended up throwing moisture way back and we ended up with 4.5" from the secondary.  I remember being bummed on the 18th because we busted...but the 4.5" we saw later that evening came as a complete surprise and made up for the bust on the first low.

Scratch that comment on the SREF...saw Will's post.

Figured that they were prob too warm...

Yeah they are useless in borderline situations and guess what....the major pop centers usually are borderline lol. You can discern trends, but do not take those probability verbatim if it is borderline.

Boy this GFS run evolution is all of a pubic hair away from being a short-duration ... no notice blizzard on the eastern coastal plain....  

1008 to 990mb and falling, in 10 hours passing from S of ISP to the outer GOM should produce a wind concern for the eastern shores and certainly the Cape and Islands.  Totally down to 978mb by 18 hours is well within the bombogenesis criteria.      

Jet dynamics relaying into the NP out of the Canadian western cordillera and we'll see how the 00z's run with this newer grid input.   I thought the GFS' quicker deepening rate and sharper mlv wave-break on he 18z to be intriguing.  As is, the GFS can't get any closer spatial-temporally without this being a much more important impactor.     

From Pete Bouchard's blog:

" Late this afternoon, some new weather maps came in showing a much more powerful and SLOW storm. One so slow that it keeps the snow going through the night and into the first half of Wednesday. I have two thoughts on this.

I'm not biting.

Yet."

20 hrs out...chaos

Well I think pretty much the entire 18z suite tosses the flag for something larger to show up tonight at 0z.

RGEM too...IMHO.

18z GEFS have the .5 tickling EMA now and up into Maine.

I give Bouchard some credit. He was the only one who went on the air, and mentioned anything about it.

The possibility is alarming if it came to fruition

Archived