• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December 17th Clipper Discussion

ORH_wxman

Ok.  For the record my range was accurate.  Any a lot of other people posted multiple times what their forecast was. 

And to dendrite - I don't pretend.  I fully recognize I don't know much of anything when it comes to weather.  There have been instance when I have tried to take what I have learned and apply it, but oftentimes I still apply incorrectly.

I never said you did pretend. My comment was more of an "attaboy".

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS looks good for 3-6" actually for many on here with the exception of the Cape and some parts of SE MA, even has a mini weenie SNE jackpot zone north of ORH in Hubbdave-land up to the monads, then ~6" for downeast and >6" for midcoast maine.

Looking solid for just about all of us.

Edit: Wow really goes nuts up around Bangor and stuff, goes nuts and drops 12-18" up there, lol.

I like the trend on the GFS to a much wetter solution for all, particularly EMA. 0z had us barely in the 0.25-0.5 range, it trend all day to the west and now 0.5-0.75 qfp is just off the deck, in the ocean. Keep moving that west. 0z will be interesting. Each run was signficantly better for Downeast Maine too. They might get 12"+ if the trend holds serve. 

These little doozey's always seem to perform well for NEMA and and Seacoast NH and ME as they bomb out.

SREFs will always be way too low on the snow probs when the sfc temps creep near freezing. We've had 10" paste bombs here where the SREFs were like 50% for 1" and 10% for 4"....lol.

Also, SnowMan is probably the biggest weenie on here these days.

It's really two fold there. One is they determine ptype by taking the majority type of the 21 members' dominant ptype. So if snow was dominant ptype in 8 members, sleet in 7, freezing rain in 4, and rain in 2, the SREF would calculate snowfall because most of the members had snow falling. So if it's near freezing and snow doesn't come up as the dominant ptype, it will drastically underplay snowfall amounts.

The second issue is the algorithm used to calculate snowfall. I believe (depending on the source) that it uses max saturated T in the column (as opposed to zone omega or standard ratio). This is good because it accounts for riming in cases where the warm nose approaches -5 or so, but bad because in cases near freezing at the surface you can assume the same is going on aloft and we get some poor ratios as a result.

The storm would have to bomb out about 6 hours earlier.  There is very little room to get that done but it's possible.  The second s/w, which is modeled to be quite impressive, is being robbed some by the first one on the GFS---hence the low QPF rates until DE maine

We're on more runs worth of shifts away from a much more sizeable event if this were to continue....

Looking at water vapor imagery I think this is closer to becoming an event for Cape Cod, MA then anything else.  18z GFS is inches away from something much more formidable, honestly I'm not buying the warmer solution on the models, with the baroclinic zone offshore expect coastal storm to be further east than NAM and more in line with the GFS.

Archived