Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Carvers Gap

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As we have discussed for two to three days, an icing/snow event is possible on return flow late next week. The ingredients are there. Huffman mentioned it on Twitter today. Until this cold air is in place, will be tough to tell specifics. Any TN Valley location is at risk. The 12z is further south with its wave that rides the retreating cold air boundary. We have discussed how rare ice is west of the Apps, but the 12z is how you draw it up. Something to watch.

The Canadian @ 180 appears to have energy rotating under the cold and pops a very weak slp along the coast. Saw where Wow was mentioning to watch the southern stream on the 12z GFS. Anyway, the Canadian is sniffing things out it appears.

The 12z GGEM out to 174 sure looks like a crippling ice storm to me for at least West TN.  Tons of moisture.  Good call on having something to watch for that time period.

The 12z GGEM out to 174 sure looks like a crippling ice storm to me for at least West TN.  Tons of moisture.  Good call on having something to watch for that time period.

Don't look now, but the 12z Euro @ 144 is showing an icy event for eastern Arkansas, northern Mississippi, and extrapolated out, west Tennessee.

Don't look now, but the 12z Euro @ 144 is showing an icy event for eastern Arkansas, northern Mississippi, and extrapolated out, west Tennessee.

Certainly and I think a good shot for northern and esp northeastern TN too..I don't think the airmass recovers that quickly so it is all rain to start except for Chatt...maybe Knox starts as a mix...an ugly morning commute on that Thursday if it the precip gets in quick enough....

This business next Thursday is looking better in terms of a blast of snow for a large chunk of TN on the 0z GFS.  I know it's a week out and will change many times but I'm interested to see how that is going to play out with the crazy cold air in place.

EPO is starting to go = around the 16th and seeing the GFS getting colder it's been hinting at it the last couple runs and around the 17th it's showing some -30 2m's again N of us,maybe it's a sign the NAO is fixing to go down hill,time will tell

This business next Thursday is looking better in terms of a blast of snow for a large chunk of TN on the 0z GFS.  I know it's a week out and will change many times but I'm interested to see how that is going to play out with the crazy cold air in place.

The snow Sunday night into Monday has disappeared somewhat on the GFS but it'll probably come back. I anticipate the event Sunday night to be just as potent as this one, if not a little stronger. If we got snow tonight, I don't see why we won't get it Sunday. Plus, consecutive snowstorms have a tendency of riding a little further south each time, too.

Temps on the 00Z GFS are trending below 0F in Knoxville. That's ridiculous cold Knoxville hasn't seen in some time. If we get just an inch or two of snow then below zero is going to be likely. If we get more, then the temps go lower. Most of the big daddy below zero nights Knoxville have had had some decent snowcover to them.

Thursday looks more like an ice to rain event for me.

Looking over extreme cold events in January for East Tennessee since the 1960s, they seem to follow a very similar pattern.

In years when Knoxville records a January low below 5 degrees, February almost never records a low below 10 degrees.  If Knoxville records a low below 5 degrees before January 10th, it often does again later in the month of January.

This is just temperature specific. Snow, some heavy, has fallen in February in years where January had major Arctic surges. It just didn't bring extreme cold.

12z GFS is showing a nice ULL trekking through southern TN. It kind of dampens out before it really gets to the valley at around 186 but I would keep an eye on it. In this pattern you guys would probably do really well with an ULL. 

I have keeping an eye on this as well burger. Most recent runs of the GFS really kept our trough positively tilted and then it would string it out. 12z gave us a two contour cutoff and it is massive. But we here west of the mountains need this cutoff to create its own cold air because there ain't none real close unless this thing slows way down. That would be tough to do in this progressive pattern we've been stuck in lately. The only thing that is certain is that the gulf will be wide open and our wet pattern continues.

u5ytaruq.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived