• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Carvers Gap

We need something to in the southern stream. Both storms we are following are northern stream pieces of energy. This is why we do best in Nino years.

Which is one of the reasons I think a full latitude trough over North America is unlikely to that extent.  December was so wet here in the TN Valley.  Seems like that big of an intrusion of arctic air(that far south) would intersect w/ the wet pattern we are in...I think today's solution, while much more reasonable due to lack of blocking, is going to be just one of several solutions.  A lakes cutter is probably most realistic, but what happens immediately after that is where I am interested.  If a return flow from the southwest overruns that low level cold air, I am thinking ice and snow for points west of the Apps...could be Memphis or Nashville, could trap cold in the eastern valley.  I just don't think it stays dry.

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which is one of the reasons I think a full latitude trough over North America is unlikely to that extent.  December was so wet here in the TN Valley.  Seems like that big of an intrusion of arctic air(that far south) would intersect w/ the wet pattern we are in...I think today's solution, while much more reasonable due to lack of blocking, is going to be just one of several solutions.  A lakes cutter is probably most realistic, but what happens immediately after that is where I am interested.  If a return flow from the southwest overruns that low level cold air, I am thinking ice and snow for points west of the Apps...could be Memphis or Nashville, could trap cold in the eastern valley.  I just don't think it stays dry.

I don't disagree with you here.  I don't really know if we should be rooting for a big phased lakes cutter or a much more benign system (ala the GFS).  On one hand, lakes cutters with cold air behind them can help with a -NAO (even if temporary), but it also would likely zap the atmosphere for a period following following such a deep storm.  Perhaps Mr. Bob or Jeff can weigh in on what each scenario could possibly yield in the 1-5 days following.

It does appear on the GFS ensembles to be consistent with laying down an arctic boundry with precip in the gulf on the individual members.  In fact 8 of 11 individual members have the "look" of an overrunning setup by hour 156.

I don't have the Euro ensembles yet, but hope to within the next 15-30 minutes.

12z Euro ensembles are really cold on Friday, but just as amazing as the cold shot is..............is the speed at which it retreats.

By hour 120, it appears the ensembles are further south and east from the operational, with low pressure development in southern Arkansas/northern LA, compared to western Arkansas on the OP (at least that is good)

Ensembles are a little southeast of the op but not much.

hard to tell with 24 hour panels but the ukie might be a hit for Nashville.

I actually thought the ensembles look quite a bit further south initially and the track from there could put some of west TN in a decent spot.  Still a long way out so not like it matters either way.........lol

The euro and gfs are worlds apart. Euro has a storm that cuts and the gfs has a suppressed low in the gulf....

FWIW @ I think the cutters are almost identical. It is after that where the GFS then sends a fair amount of energy across the Gulf. Very much something to watch. If it doesn't disappear, looks like an overrunning event is possible per that scenario.

The euro and gfs are worlds apart. Euro has a storm that cuts and the gfs has a suppressed low in the gulf....

FWIW @ I think the cutters are almost identical. It is after that where the GFS then sends a fair amount of energy across the Gulf. Very much something to watch. If it doesn't disappear, looks like an overrunning event is possible per that scenario.

The 12 Z ensembles indicated this, fairly strongly I might point out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 12 Z ensembles indicated this, fairly strongly I might point out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have seen very few ice storms west of the Apps, but if there were ever a set-up for one hr 183 would be close. Quite a bit of energy with cold HP embedded over the Great Lakes. Other than being suppressed which has rarely, if ever, occurred this winter...that set-up is great for overrunning winter wx for the upper south in terms of HP placement and angle of the jet.

Euro esm in case some wonder still look to be 4-6" based on a 10:1 ratio,less in the S/Valley,east i'm sure is slightly more.I looked at my text on the Euro and seen the 2m's drop 10C in 6 hrs.,so the ratio should be higher than 10:1.Also we still have the clipper still being shown after this event for around a 1" token bonus a few hours later.I agree with what everyone here said also,we want this to drop SE more for us in the Valley.

Euro esm in case some wonder still look to be 4-6" based on a 10:1 ratio,less in the S/Valley,east i'm sure is slightly more.I looked at my text on the Euro and seen the 2m's drop 10C in 6 hrs.,so the ratio should be higher than 10:1.Also we still have the clipper still being shown after this event for around a 1" token bonus a few hours later.I agree with what everyone here said also,we want this to drop SE more for us in the Valley.

Where are you located

Believe the symbolics of the mojo need to be reevaluated some what.We are right now in ph 6 which makes no since what so ever,we more than likely should be influenced by a SER right now with above heights up and down the eastern parts of the mainland.I'm not sure why this should this should be used in any forecasting method like some people use it

Issued Tue 16:51Z Dec 31 2013

day cyc/mdl blend confidence comments

D3

00/ecm

030%

Average

00/ece 070% Average

D4

00/ecm

060%

Average

00/ece 030% Average

00/gfs 010% Average

D5

00/ecm

030%

Average

00/ece 070% Average

D6

00/ecm

030%

Average

00/ece 070% Average

D7

00/ecm

030%

Average

00/ece 070% Average

Alot of weight stilll going towards the e/esm

This probably is more banter than anything else, but I'd rather post this here to get more looking at it.

I am not sure, but I think I have been giving bad information as it relates to the Euro.  The text data appears to give accumulating snow, but the portrayal at the surface doesn't match Jax..........  I hope someone will help me with a simple question.  When looking at the text data below from the 12z Euro I have a question.

MON 06Z 06-JAN  -3.2    -8.0    1011      81      31    0.49     543     535

The surface and 850s are solidly below freezing and it's spitting out .49 qpf.  My guess is that it's a snapshot of precip for 6z and the previous 6 hours and those are the temps EXACTLY at 6z, meaning not all of the .49 falls as snow, since the previous "snapshot" had WAY above freezing temps at the surface and 850.  Without in between data, I guess it's impossible to tell how much of the .49 falls as rain vs. snow, but the snow maps only have an inch or so over the state.  I can't see the control run snow map Jax, so if someone has it, feel free to PM it to me............lol.  It seems this is a really simple question, so I am sorry for the "basic" question, but thanks in advance for any answers.

This probably is more banter than anything else, but I'd rather post this here to get more looking at it.

I am not sure, but I think I have been giving bad information as it relates to the Euro.  The text data appears to give accumulating snow, but the portrayal at the surface doesn't match Jax..........  I hope someone will help me with a simple question.  When looking at the text data below from the 12z Euro I have a question.

MON 06Z 06-JAN  -3.2    -8.0    1011      81      31    0.49     543     535

The surface and 850s are solidly below freezing and it's spitting out .49 qpf.  My guess is that it's a snapshot of precip for 6z and the previous 6 hours and those are the temps EXACTLY at 6z, meaning not all of the .49 falls as snow, since the previous "snapshot" had WAY above freezing temps at the surface and 850.  Without in between data, I guess it's impossible to tell how much of the .49 falls as rain vs. snow, but the snow maps only have an inch or so over the state.  I can't see the control run snow map Jax, so if someone has it, feel free to PM it to me............lol.  It seems this is a really simple question, so I am sorry for the "basic" question, but thanks in advance for any answers.

You are correct in that it's precip that's fallen the prior 6 hours.

Looking at the 0z NAM coming in, I am noticing the precip field that was progged to go west to east through Chicago and the lower great lakes is now considerably further south.  What does this have to do with our late weekend/early next week storm..............maybe nothing, but it is still correcting further south and east with time.  makes you think, doesn't it?

Looking at the 0z NAM coming in, I am noticing the precip field that was progged to go west to east through Chicago and the lower great lakes is now considerably further south. What does this have to do with our late weekend/early next week storm..............maybe nothing, but it is still correcting further south and east with time. makes you think, doesn't it?

I know it's the NAM outside of 48 hrs, but the 18z as well caught my attention in that it is further south with its features late in the run out west. Interesting for sure.

Archived