Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Carvers Gap

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The GFS continues to show some fairly big snow potential from 200 hours on.  The Canadian and Euro not so much.  At least we don't seem to be torching in the long range and it looks to be a wet pattern setting up.

I know we have been relatively dry since we turned cold, but I swear we don't need any rain right now.  I was sinking down in the mud 1/2 inch just about everywhere I walked yesterday.

I could see Tennessee as a battleground of sorts around mid-month.  Looks like the cold wants to press but the SE ridge also looks like it wants to rear its ugly head.  A little bit of a ridge is ok but the proverbial "pig ridge" is not.  I see the CSFv2 has taken a warmer turn over the past couple of days (seeing a SE ridge) but it flips around fairly often and it will probably do so again.  "Hints" of a -NAO are there but I won't believe it until I see it.  

Let's keep out fingers crossed (and anything else you feel like crossing) and hope lady luck is on our side going into the 2nd half. 

We'll have to see if the SER makes a return it might peek in to see what's going on but then leave.The EPO continues to stay -,though it could become more = later on.The PNA looks to be a roller coaster and the NAO isnt that horrffic,not for the valley anyways.Also the AO is the lowest today it's been all winter -2.6,

I think someone needs to start a February pattern discussion.  I know we are all following along with the snowfall happening today, but the Euro at 12z hour 120 is pretty close to another midsouth snow just looking at 500.  Weak low near the gulf and 850's along the KY/TN border.  Probably a LONG shot at best, but just thought I'd mention it. 
Now back to your regularly scheduled radar watching program!

I think someone needs to start a February pattern discussion.  I know we are all following along with the snowfall happening today, but the Euro at 12z hour 120 is pretty close to another midsouth snow just looking at 500.  Weak low near the gulf and 850's along the KY/TN border.  Probably a LONG shot at best, but just thought I'd mention it. 

Somebody start the thread.  Just label it "February Pattern Discussion."  Give it some tags so we can search for it later.  The rest of January will probably go in upcoming events.  So yeah, let's start the new thread.  Jeff, 1234, Blue Ridge, jmundie, Skelton, BNA, jax, Reb, Stove, tnweathernut...somebody jump in there.

Huge HP north of the Great Lakes and the SE ridge getting ready to rumble.  Somebody in KY and/or TN going to see some wintery weather.  Very intrigued w/ that set-up.  The time around Valentine's Day looks good.

Started a new thread, this one may go down as certainly the coldest thread we have. Hopefully the newer ones are far more stormy.

I'd also like to have us start individual storm threads from now on if possible. They are far easier to search out and look through as the years wear on when looking for similar set ups than something like the short range thread.

Looks like we will finish out this thread w/ incredible cold and a "surprise" snow event for the eastern third of the Valley, southwest VA included.  On to February and hopefully some snow for our friends in middle and west Tennessee, southern Kentucky, northern Mississippi, and northern Alabama...and also for the north GA folks that drop-in from time to time.  I'll post some final climo in here when the month ends.  Please feel free to post your climo data for you airport once the month of January is up. 

Archived