Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Carvers Gap

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We'll see if we can get any luck, but in 10 days we're forecast to have a mildly negative NAO, AO, and a mildly positive PNA.

The NAO is doing what it has done for the past year, finally. It went negative and couldn't recover. It kept being forecast to go positive and stayed negative. I think we are back w/ that pattern. Looking at the CPC ensembles, the PNA is forecast to go strongly positive. If those were the only indices I looked at, I would say cold in the East as the norm. Looks a the pattern relaxes for 5-10 days and reloads. Unfortunately, the pattern is cold and then warm-up/rain. Hopefully, one of these GOM systems will fall out of sync w/ that. The Euro showed a bit of an ice signature for Thursday. Over all, we'll see.

Cold/warm/rain is a long time tradition here, but with the cold air in decently frequent supply, hopefully we get lucky. The long range looks pretty cold for now.

I can't much complain anyway, I've had 5.5 inches of snow since Thursday plus record cold temps. Sadly the heavier snow was very localized. I'd love to see 25 and everyone with 3-4 inches of snow than 5 degrees and one area with 6 inches of snow, one area with a dusting.

Looks like the CPC ensembles show a similar signal. PNA is forecast to go strongly positive. The AO is forecast to go strongly negative. Alone, those two indices indicated a strong cold pattern in the East. The NAO is neutral and forecast to go weakly positive...but taking its time. We'll see if it stays there. All in all, the ensembles would suggest what Mr. Bob shared with the weeklies - which have been very good. By mid-February we may all be ready for spring...

Two beautiful gulf low tracks back to back through hour 144 on the GFS. Of course there's no cold air, but I like to see those rolling through.

Agreed...and yeah, it would have been nice to have something like that this week. It looks like we go NW flow for a while after the warm up. Hopefully, if the ridge out west is tall enough, we can get lucky with a strong, digging vort. You guys would do better on the other side of the hills than my area, but it might be starting to get time to be on the lookout for this type of event.

Two beautiful gulf low tracks back to back through hour 144 on the GFS.  Of course there's no cold air, but I like to see those rolling through.

If we had the NAO cooperating with us we would probably already have 20 inches or so. The southern stream has been loaded this year. This winter would of looked more like 09-10 if we had the Atlantic on our side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David Aldrich is given to overhype, but he's talking a potential good snow event the middle of next week.

In the meanwhile, another precip filled weekend. If we can ever get the cold to stay for a weekend, we're in business. It's going to precipitate.

Yeah, looking like a solid 2 inches of rain on both the GFS and Euro.

David Aldrich is given to overhype, but he's talking a potential good snow event the middle of next week.

In the meanwhile, another precip filled weekend. If we can ever get the cold to stay for a weekend, we're in business. It's going to precipitate.

168-192 on the 12z Euro look interesting and the GFS sees it as well.  Pretty marginal.  Bet it goes to Indianapolis anyway.  If it is there again tomorrow at this time, keep an eye on it.  This is the time frame the Euro has a tendency to spot storms.  Gut says no...but I've seen crazier.

168-192 on the 12z Euro look interesting and the GFS sees it as well. Pretty marginal. Bet it goes to Indianapolis anyway. If it is there again tomorrow at this time, keep an eye on it. This is the time frame the Euro has a tendency to spot storms. Gut says no...but I've seen crazier.

have faith, this might be the year of the I-95 runner.

The maps I see are pretty bad as far as the 12z euro goes.  24 hour panels suck.  With that said, at hr 144 you have a 1006 low in the northern 1/2 of Alabama that strengthens to a 983 low in NH with cold air charging in to it somewhere along the way.  Doesn't look like it would be a prolific snow producer, but if it started out in southern AL and deepened from there...........who knows??  Anyone have access to better Euro maps for this?

The maps I see are pretty bad as far as the 12z euro goes. 24 hour panels suck. With that said, at hr 144 you have a 1006 low in the northern 1/2 of Alabama that strengthens to a 983 low in NH with cold air charging in to it somewhere along the way. Doesn't look like it would be a prolific snow producer, but if it started out in southern AL and deepened from there...........who knows?? Anyone have access to better Euro maps for this?

it goes east of the apps but is really moisture starved for us. It is a phase so the timing im sure will change. Something to watch I guess.

Archived