Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Carvers Gap

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it my imagination or is the GFS subtly moving southeast with the Sunday system?

I concur. Apps runner on 12z GFS. You know, the beginnings of the system are visible on the NAM...too far out to be accurate. However, it does appear south of the medium range models in the West. Might be something to watch @ 12z and 0z on the medium range models in terms of trends. Could just be the NAM doesn't have it in focus. But the 12z GFS is a tad East in terms of the eyeball test.

Also, today's CPC ensembles are interesting. The PNA has snuck into positive territory and may have trouble going and staying negative. The AO is negative and forecast to stay there. The NAO is slightly negative and may go positive but that is less of a slam dunk positive long term. The first time this happened it was a false trend. We'll see this time.

Afternoon thoughts:

1. I think it's fairly obvious that BIG time cold is on the way early next week. What is unknown is the amount of snow (mostly light outside the mountains) that can fall with the next two disturbances.

2. One thing that would not surprise me at all will be the potential for energy lobes coming all the way from the lakes into the southern apps with snow shower enhancement and upslope for northeast TN, sw VA, and eastern KY.

3. The latter part of next week looks VERY interesting to me. There is plenty of GFS ensemble support for a quick return of moisture just as the coldest air is leaving.

4. Models are notorious for moving the cold out too quickly in cases like this. Combine this with what should be plentiful moisture coming from the gulf and I put this time frame in the LIKELY category to produce wintry for someone in the TN Valley.

Watch for future model runs to show the cold air retreating slower and the moisture coming in quicker. If you have never experienced snow falling with ground temps in the 20's it's really cool. Even pretty light snow covers everything almost immediately.

So there you have it, my afternoon disco. Let's revisit this mid to late next week and see where we stand. Any discussion about these points and your own personal points of view and experiences are welcome.

Looks like the 0F line goes pretty far south. Huntsville would have to be cold as well. TnWxNut, you have any secret Euro info .

Sorry, been watching bowl games with a buddy of mine and not paying attention to the weather. No, sorry Carvers........just 24 hour maps and some text info. Here is the text data off the 12z Euro

MON 12Z 06-JAN -1.5 -8.5 1014 95 9 0.23 548 537

MON 18Z 06-JAN -1.6 -10.8 1018 55 42 0.02 539 525

TUE 00Z 07-JAN -3.0 -11.5 1019 53 65 0.00 534 519

TUE 06Z 07-JAN -8.7 -17.6 1024 30 27 0.00 531 512

TUE 12Z 07-JAN -13.6 -22.6 1030 29 29 0.00 531 509

TUE 18Z 07-JAN -10.7 -21.4 1033 31 12 0.00 537 513

WED 00Z 08-JAN -11.8 -16.2 1035 35 21 0.00 547 520

WED 06Z 08-JAN -11.4 -13.7 1039 35 31 0.00 555 525

WED 12Z 08-JAN -10.9 -10.0 1041 33 12 0.00 561 530

Afternoon thoughts:

2. One thing that would not surprise me at all will be the potential for energy lobes coming all the way from the lakes into the southern apps with snow shower enhancement and upslope for northeast TN, sw VA, and eastern KY.

It has been common for much of KY and TN even back to the TN River to get minor accums in the wake of serious cold shots in the past. Often in the form of day after snow showers.  Hope that holds this time as well.  I would hate to be that cold and no snow at all.

3. The latter part of next week looks VERY interesting to me. There is plenty of GFS ensemble support for a quick return of moisture just as the coldest air is leaving.

4. Models are notorious for moving the cold out too quickly in cases like this. Combine this with what should be plentiful moisture coming from the gulf and I put this time frame in the LIKELY category to produce wintry for someone in the TN Valley.

Watch for future model runs to show the cold air retreating slower and the moisture coming in quicker. If you have never experienced snow falling with ground temps in the 20's it's really cool. Even pretty light snow covers everything almost immediately.

It will be interesting to watch it evolve.  The pattern has been very progressive so an in and out cold shot was what I was expecting.  However, today's 12Z GFS has most of the state below freezing for four full days.

Sun/Mon...18z GFS is SE of 0z. Apps runner now instead of a lakes cutter. While it may be cold chasing rain, that front appears to overtake the slp mid-state. For those of you with better "pay graphics," what do you see .

Euro esm has thermal issues,but it's not by much

Edit:Either way i didn't see much difference still going through W/TN,needs to dig more

I like the GFS and  what i see at the MSLP,,Precip,850 temp,it's all good when the heavy stuff starts in the W parts of the valley @h96.In mattter of fact looking at  snow:water ratio 10:1 its giving the almost everyone  but not the extreme S parts of the valley 2-4" and the ratio i believe should be maybe 15:1

I didn't know if you'd missed it or didn't know if Crossville got a meteogram, and it's going to be 8 Tuesday afternoon instead of on Monday, i made a mistake on the day.

Dangit I knew I was missing a station somewhere. I tried to get the major ones. But I noticed it looked colder out on the Plateau. Nice find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't know if you'd missed it or didn't know if Crossville got a meteogram, and it's going to be 8 Tuesday afternoon instead of on Monday, i made a mistake on the day.

Nope I didn't know they did but I was thinking of Crossville but didn't think they had a meteogram. That's great, it fills a big hole from Nashville to Knoxville, about right in the middle. I still think that these numbers could go down 2-4 more degrees though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's getting closer to the GFS, last night it was in S. Indiana with the center of the low, NE KY at the same frame tonight.

Didn't get any stronger,text is showing .54 qpf's not all sn about the same  as the last run,believe it probably got a little warmer looking at the heights when i said it was colder

Archived