wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
December 14/15 winter storm threat part II

Typhoon Tip

scooter - on your images...yellow and red are what, again? lol

Sorry..should have explained.

Solid yellow = 850-700mb critical thickness

Solid red = 1000-850 critical thickness.

Solid grey is 32F isotherm

dashed yellow = 850mb temps in degree C every 5C. Dashed blue is the 0C isotherm.

White = MSLP

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it really is too bad there isn't even a pubic hair worth of blocking. imagine locking in that HP north of Maine with this thing coming up from the south? 

That's about the only reason I think why this high pressure (1040mb worth!) gets bodily handled by this comparatively weaker low coming up from the S, and as you say... Confluence pretty much dissolves right on cue...

It's the plight of the -EPO/-PNA/+NAO winter ....    But yeah, if any blocking at all and this thing would have slowed down and just been a perfect snow-machine

That's about the only reason I think why this high pressure (1040mb worth!) gets bodily handled by this comparatively weaker low coming up from the S, and as you say... Confluence pretty much dissolves right on cue...

It's the plight of the -EPO/-PNA/+NAO winter ....    But yeah, if any blocking at all and this thing would have slowed down and just been a perfect snow-machine

Sorry for the OT but do you see any signs of blocking in the LR?

Been away for the day and everybody's taking about warmth now gettin into NH. What's the damage? Are totals affected or are we still good for 10-12"?

Little to no damage for your backyard imho, I think you're going to get crushed. Maybe a brief period of IP up there but not until after most of the meaningful snowfall has fallen.

I think the warmth/north trend is more for CT and around my back yard on south east

I'm not so sure. If we had substantial blocking with such a true arctic air mass, this system would have been suppressed much further south. Think like 2009-2010. It might have panned out for the mid-atlantic like some of the long range runs had on this event early on.

For some reason, I always picture Kevin further north. Maybe it's his self perceived climo...

Well it always changes. During wind/tropical events he is ENE...during winter storms he is the interior/N CT (unless it's a Cape special...then he's ENE). And then with squalls/WINDEX he is WNE.

Sorry for the OT but do you see any signs of blocking in the LR?

Good question for the December pattern-related thread.  You may want to move it, and this answer, there:

Technically the -EPO is a NE Pacific blocking pattern.  Other than that, no, not really.    Have to keep in mind, the NAO is fickle.  It can change rather abruptly with less predictive skill.   For now ... it is positive out to the end of week two at both the CPC and the CDC (the primer being that a -NAO is synonymous with blocking in the N/NW Atlantic).  I suppose everything being unfair in the game of weather ... the upshot is that the EPO remains negative.  

Looks way faster on this sites paid graphics.  FWIW.

I have those bit I find storm vista pretty accurate...though apparently there is some dissonance at 12 hours this run as I have the h85 0 line just north of the canal running west bisecting ct/rei with half of each above and below.

I'm not so sure. If we had substantial blocking with such a true arctic air mass, this system would have been suppressed much further south. Think like 2009-2010. It might have panned out for the mid-atlantic like some of the long range runs had on this event early on.

Possibly...sure.  Sometimes suppression is too great.  There are plenty of examples, however, where blocking was "in the right measure."  

You're talking about putting too much sugar in recipe; we are idealizing the better ratio.    

No, don't want to imagine that ;)  If there was blocking this storm would've been a mid-Atlantic storm, lol.

This is the 2nd post like this -- not necessarily true.  We've had slow moving monsters here with -NAO's before..  

Problem here is the tendency to think in absolutes.  There is a spectra of relative circumstance and how they all play out in time.  Blocking "at all" should not immediately imply M/A versus N/E.

Possibly...sure.  Sometimes suppression is too great.  There are plenty of examples, however, where blocking was "in the right measure."  

You're talking about putting too much sugar in recipe; we are idealizing the better ratio.    

Haha ok I gotcha! Yea The raging +NAO hasn't really helped "lock" in cold air.

I should also add that I am originally from the SC, which may be why when I think of -NAO events, I think of big huge blocks which would help out the southeast. 

This is the 2nd post like this -- not necessarily true.  We've had slow moving monsters here with -NAO's before..  

Problem here is the tendency to think in absolutes.  There is a spectra of relative circumstance and how they all play out in time.  Blocking "at all" should not immediately imply M/A versus N/E.

Blocking is great...just not when the blocking is so strong the jet is suppressed down to FL.  

Archived