12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Dec 10th Obs Thread

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess you are ignoring yesterday completely when forecasts matter like in my professional field? If I went with the GFS, flights would be cancelled.

No, but unless you consider the Euro a short term model it's probably a fair comparison to say it was the last model to the party with this storm, even trailing the UKMET in the short to mid term where it was totally blind to the potential.  It had nothing...maybe .01" making it to the Cape on Sunday.  It was horrendous in the later short to mid term.  

There's a reason why most of us were 1-3" Easton/Taunton south and maybe more on the south coast 2/4"

I don't think anyone bought the GFS aside of a few.  Like I said I think sometimes people miss the blatant patterns while they're busy looking strictly at levels/soundings etc.  This happens almost all the time in marginal situations and it will happen again a couple of times this winter.  GFS/NAM owing to their overdoing things will pick up on marginal events sooner, definitively overdo it while the Euro trudges to a better solution usually.

Barring a boost from the lift coming through now I'm doubting I'm much more than 1" with a 10 to 1.  About 1/2 of the rough expectation from the Euro....so unless it ramps up suffice to say they were all a little heavy on QPF with the reality being last nights RGEM/GGEM being as good as about anything, IMO.

NCEP guidance is going to overshoot 99% of the time.  It's that 1 in 100 where it finds a nut that keeps us hanging on.  Great at seeing longer term potential, poor at defining shorter term top end potential.  The model surprising me this winter so far is the CMC stuff.

well...said yesterday it might even start as rain.

Im not talking cape cod , but ya temps factored more. I mentioned it a cpl x and u sort of said it won't matter for cape, so long as rates comply. But it has effected accums today a bit....so far ... Many posters can attest to this today. Dont get me wrong to ignore this point, im just saying it wasnt given much talk . Its not a big deal

BTW I think for the record everyone here was on the same page.  Forecasts were sound and most disregarded the GFS/NAM beyond confirmation of an event. 

Cape about to get hit pretty hard again with another band but they're transient which is why I suspect models dispersed the precip more than blasted any one area.   I think overall it's going about as planned.

Phil figured 2" would be about the average down here, I think most were in agreement on that.  MIGHT be a little tight getting there but the general theme of 1-3" or 2-4 if we get lucky with a band (probably down under 20% chance now) is working fine.

My only exception is really that outside of 36-48 hours it's hard to say the Euro was best when it had nothing.  Inside of 36 sure...but we know these strengths and weaknesses and they WILL play out again this winter.  Many justified the calls for no event based on the Euro this weekend and that was incorrect.  However small this is.

Screw the models, most in here did a damn good job on this one.

I agree.  It seemed like this was one of the few times that the models were generally treated as guidance (as they should be) and there wasn't much model/run hugging.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves.  We could still see accums over the next few hours from this.

I agree. It seemed like this was one of the few times that the models were generally treated as guidance (as they should be) and there wasn't much model/run hugging.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves. We could still see accums over the next few hours from this.

After a lull,, nice steady snow is falling now. 30.1

Have to verify (  OT ) but my father just left me a message that Antarctica just put up the World's coldest temperature ever recorded, a -135.8F

It was a reported temperature from a satellite.   It was released by NASA.   I don't believe it was ground recorded.  My co-worked showed me the article.

Here's the link to the article:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2013/12/10/antarctica-cold-record/3950019/

It was a reported temperature from a satellite.   It was released by NASA.   I don't believe it was ground recorded.  My co-worked showed me the article.

Here's the link to the article:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2013/12/10/antarctica-cold-record/3950019/

Interesting... have to give it read.  I will say ... it's summer in the SH.  Oh, wait -- it happened in Aug of 2010, which is there winter.  'k

Archived