e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Weekend Threat 12/14-12/15

IsentropicLift

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I took a closer look at the Euro to see if maybe its reason for being more south was that it was holding the energy over the SW too long but it does not, at 84 hours it more or less agrees with the GFS with placement over OK/TX...evolution thereafter is different, DT says he thinks the Euro is wrong due to the lack of the -NAO but an interesting note is the NAM at 84 hours is not more noably amped or north than the GFS...thi is a great comparison to use to sometimes tell when the GFS may be too far north or south with an event, you should see the NAM be decently NW of it at 84 hours, if you do not it likely means the GFS is too far north though not always...with today's event when the NAM was markedly more inland at 84 hours than the GFS it led me to believe we had a good chance of seeing snow.

So is DTs thinking  the Center winds up further west ?

Right now the difference that's sticks out in my mind is the Euro and GFS both come off East at the Delmarva the Euro is already at 995 and gets to 985 SE of Boston

The GFS  is a 1000 MB low all the way to the BM .

The Euro is stronger and mayb using dynamics to cool the column . The Highs are in the same location 1036 vs 1037 - so no difference ,

they come off the same - head to the BM NO other glaring difference

seems like Mt Holly is mentioning every type of precip imaginable

NJZ010-110900-
SOMERSET-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...SOMERVILLE
330 PM EST TUE DEC 10 2013 

FRIDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY IN THE EVENING
THEN MOSTLY CLOUDY
WITH A CHANCE OF SNOW AFTER MIDNIGHT. LOWS 10 TO 15. CHANCE OF
SNOW 50 PERCENT.
SATURDAY
SNOW LIKELY. RAIN LIKELY IN THE AFTERNOON. HIGHS IN
THE UPPER 30S. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION 70 PERCENT.
SATURDAY NIGHT...SNOW AND SLEET LIKELY IN THE EVENING
THEN
FREEZING RAIN LIKELY AFTER MIDNIGHT. LOWS IN THE UPPER 20S.
CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION 70 PERCENT.
SUNDAY
MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF RAIN AND SNOW. SLEET
LIKELY WITH A CHANCE OF FREEZING RAIN IN THE MORNING. HIGHS IN
THE UPPER 30S. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION 60 PERCENT.
SUNDAY NIGHT
PARTLY CLOUDY. A CHANCE OF SNOW IN THE EVENING.
LOWS 15 TO 20. CHANCE OF SNOW 30 PERCENT. WIND CHILL VALUES AS
LOW AS ZERO AFTER MIDNIGHT.

Henry M calling for major snowstorm in NYC. Sorry everyone, we are having clear skies that day.

Well there goes this storm. Ill give it to the guy and the same said about JB. There dedication to the profession is amazing and people like that do a great job with PR in this field i think. Back to the storm though i HOPE this doesnt turn out to be an ice storm, id much rather be cold and dry than deal with that

Can a MET weigh in on the statement that since the piece of energy is still on the Pacific Ocean the models don't have good data to present a more accurate forecast. Does that make sense?

I'm not a met but models get a better handle on things when the atmospheric conditions has better sampling. We have poor sampling of atmospheric conditions over the pacific ocean and good sampling when it comes ashore on the west coast which leads to more accurate forecasts.

Can a MET weigh in on the statement that since the piece of energy is still on the Pacific Ocean the models don't have good data to present a more accurate forecast. Does that make sense?

Not a met but it's true the RAOBS network is sparse over the North Pacific. We will have a better idea in a day or two but the primary looks to get pretty far north, which guarantees a change to rain for NYC and the immediate coast. Front end dump is possible though and could be significant given Gulf moisture, especially in the NW suburbs. Highly doubt it's all snow for anyone in the forum though.

Archived