Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Weekend Threat 12/14-12/15

IsentropicLift

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

84 hr 0z nam looks very cold/south with the weekend storm set-up....

The only reason I'm not completely sold is the "N squared rule" is only half working right now, the NOGAPS is relatively amped, its not anywhere near the GFS or GEM but its more amped than you'd expect it to be given where the Euro/GFS/GEM are which could still mean the rainy and warm solution is in play....when you take a closer look at the individual GFS 12Z ensembles, 2 of them are completely flat and a miss, and out of the remaining 10 they are roughly split 6-4 in favor of more amped than the Op.  The NAM however tends to be insanely NW with eventual Miller Bs late in its range so to me its a major caution sign to see it so flat at 84 hours.  There is another theory some Mets have that when the NOGAPS is similar to the GEM/Euro/GFS from roughly Day 4 onward it often means those 3 models will all undergo some sort of major shift in the next 48 hours because rarely will the NOGAPS have the same idea they do at that range.

The Nam is quite cold aloft but it's the Nam at 84hrs, not the most accurate model at that range to say the least, though it kind of is gfs like.

There is a ice signal to keep in mind, it will be tough to scour out the cold low level air mass, CAD signal will have to be watched. The number one analog was a strong ice event.

The only reason I'm not completely sold is the "N squared rule" is only half working right now, the NOGAPS is relatively amped, its not anywhere near the GFS or GEM but its more amped than you'd expect it to be given where the Euro/GFS/GEM are which could still mean the rainy and warm solution is in play....when you take a closer look at the individual GFS 12Z ensembles, 2 of them are completely flat and a miss, and out of the remaining 10 they are roughly split 6-4 in favor of more amped than the Op.  The NAM however tends to be insanely NW with eventual Miller Bs late in its range so to me its a major caution sign to see it so flat at 84 hours.  There is another theory some Mets have that when the NOGAPS is similar to the GEM/Euro/GFS from roughly Day 4 onward it often means those 3 models will all undergo some sort of major shift in the next 48 hours because rarely will the NOGAPS have the same idea they do at that range.

Basically, the Global models could go from amped to flatter if the NOGAPS agree with them? 

Basically, the Global models could go from amped to flatter if the NOGAPS agree with them? 

Yeah, it happened on an event last winter, I believe in mid January every model had a major storm ejecting out of the Midwest and slamming into an arctic high over the NE, in a span of 2 runs 96 hours out they all lost it and it eventually was a sheared out mess for us though it was a big storm for the Midwest....it was quite possibly the biggest loss of a major storm I ever recall unanimously on the models inside day 5.

Yeah, it happened on an event last winter, I believe in mid January every model had a major storm ejecting out of the Midwest and slamming into an arctic high over the NE, in a span of 2 runs 96 hours out they all lost it and it eventually was a sheared out mess for us though it was a big storm for the Midwest....it was quite possibly the biggest loss of a major storm I ever recall unanimously on the models inside day 5.

Could this storm be in one of those situations? 

Wow, the lowly NOGAPS sure can yield power with its flat Progressive bias.

If the GFS trends stronger with the developing coastal low, the outcome should look much more favorable for areas North and West of the city. Still looks like a heavy mix verbatim on this run.

Right now a blend of the ECMWF and the GFS would yield a decent amount of snow with some mixing, then a transition back to snow.

This will obviously change over the next few days and I'd wait until we have our southern system in a decent area for sampling before really getting deep into this one.

Sent from Tapatalk

If the GFS trends stronger with the developing coastal low, the outcome should look much more favorable for areas North and West of the city. Still looks like a heavy mix verbatim on this run.

Right now a blend of the ECMWF and the GFS would yield a decent amount of snow with some mixing, then a transition back to snow.

This will obviously change over the next few days and I'd wait until we have our southern system in a decent area for sampling before really looking getting deep into this one.

Sent from Tapatalk

I'm fine with that. That'll make this winter look more promising. I'm doing research about Decembers with a certain amount of snowfall and teleconnection conditions that yields below normal, near normal or above normal snowfall. I'll keep tabs on this December. 

Archived