CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Winter 2013 - 2014 Banter Thread

NEG NAO

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We got a pretty great price for it. Also I am a boat captain and work for the Staten Island ferry as well. I'm pretty handy.

Used to fish the bay with a couple Ferry guys. They said they were oilers, whatever that is. They used to dig clams for extra cash in the old days.i remember when there was a party boat fleet at Great Kills.

I think what happened here lately is that Jan and Feb hit so often, that people starting looking at day 7 and day 10 threats as legit .

We used to focus on stuff inside 5 days . Now the 150 - 190  hour countdowns create the unrealistic view of real model verification  in that time period .

If a storm is seen on the models 7 to 10 days out and its center winds up 200 miles to the south or north , the reality is that's still

inside the acceptable envelope of numerical modeling errors .  I think too many people look at the track and fail to realize that the 8 days spread on , for example  the euro ensembles that show a BM track still may be the difference  between a storm to ALB or one to DC and out .

Have to wait inside 5 days to look at means etc , its just too far out and the variance is too great IMO .

I think what happened here lately is that Jan and Feb hit so often, that people starting looking at day 7 and day 10 threats as legit .

We used to focus on stuff inside 5 days . Now the 150 - 190  hour countdowns create the unrealistic view of real model verification  in that time period .

If a storm is seen on the models 7 to 10 days out and its center winds up 200 miles to the south or north , the reality is that's still

inside the acceptable envelope of numerical modeling errors .  I think too many people look at the track and fail to realize that the 8 days spread on , for example  the euro ensembles that show a BM track still may be the difference  between a storm to ALB or one to DC and out .

Have to wait inside 5 days to look at means etc , its just too far out and the variance is too great IMO .

This storm's outcome took shape about 72 hours ahead of time.

This storm's outcome took shape about 72 hours ahead of time.

That`s fair , But the difference is huge between watching something between day 5 to day 3 - instead of starting the talk at day 9 .

That's how you get 60 pages of a non event .

I guess since Jan and Feb were so easy , it morphs into every threat must be legit , even if its in the LR

I  will add sickman saw that first hand , so he stopped it  cold out at day 9

Agreed. Most folks understand that it's relatively difficult to get a significant synoptic snowstorm around here, but when they do hit in rapid succession for a few weeks, it's easy to lose sight of that. An individual discussing or posting a 200+ hour GFS frame would promptly be issued a :weenie:, at least in a normal season, and a 200+ hour Euro solution is really no different (even the ensembles).

Agreed. Most folks understand that it's relatively difficult to get a significant synoptic snowstorm around here, but when they do hit in rapid succession for a few weeks, it's easy to lose sight of that. An individual discussing or posting a 200+ hour GFS frame would promptly be issued a :weenie:, at least in a normal season, and a 200+ hour Euro solution is really no different (even the ensembles).

Lol, you average probably about 15-20" more per year than most in the NYC subforum, ya weenie ;-)

One thing for sure the highs fail to hit freezing from 3/24-3/28.  This is definite on all models right now.  Two days are 22-24 F at best and the last week of March will have -25 to -30 F departures.  I think we go to 5-7 F in the city three days that week for lows.  -19 C at 850 and -16 C at 925 for a few days will be locks on not making freezing for 4-5 days.  I do not think I am wrong with this.  If that storm could trend north, a real HECS threat given pattern. I see 3/31-4/6 being seasonal and rainy with the persistent cold pattern looking to lock above 45 North for the first time in many months.  Looks to get real warm south of 37 North.  50's may become more regular a few days after 3/28.  Any thoughts ??

One thing for sure the highs fail to hit freezing from 3/24-3/28.  This is definite on all models right now.  Two days are 22-24 F at best and the last week of March will have -25 to -30 F departures.  I think we go to 5-7 F in the city three days that week for lows.  -19 C at 850 and -16 C at 925 for a few days will be locks on not making freezing for 4-5 days.  I do not think I am wrong with this.  If that storm could trend north, a real HECS threat given pattern. I see 3/31-4/6 being seasonal and rainy with the persistent cold pattern looking to lock above 45 North for the first time in many months.  Looks to get real warm south of 37 North.  50's may become more regular a few days after 3/28.  Any thoughts ??

U think knyc gets to 5 degrees 3 x next week. ? Thoughts are as follows. Pazzo just fainted. And when he comes too. You're in for it.

move way way south - we get screwed again

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2014031806/gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_30.png

Anything pattern wise or meteorological that could bring this up the coast like the 3/17 12Z ECMWF ensemble members showed yesterday ?  What do you think is on the table with this ?

Anything pattern wise or meteorological that could bring this up the coast like the 3/17 12Z ECMWF ensemble members showed yesterday ?  What do you think is on the table with this ?

Its 7 days out, relax. Honestly I'd like to see the ridge farther West & the shortwave that dives down stronger & farther West...Compare the EURO/GFS @ H5 step by step, and you'll see why they do what they do. 

you tell us you like to make the BOLD predictions around here

The 6z GEFS is in agreement with the 0z Euro ensemble mean. The large,intense PV and energy crashing in the Pacific NW, support weaker or suppressed storm. Of course, if the PV is weaker, or the Pacific energy holds back that could change. But that hasn't been the trend, the last few weeks...

Major changes at H5 between the 00z and 06z GFS. The 00z GFS only dug the trough to the Ohio Valley while 06z digs the trough to southern Alabama. Major changes. The Canadian is almost the same as the 06z GFS and the 00z ECMWF matches the 00z GFS. The 00z ECMWF ensemble mean was a close miss and the 00z ECMWF control run was well southeast. I suspect we'll see some more changes as time goes on. The ridge axis is actually in pretty good position. Something to keep an eye on. I counted 5 major hits on the individual Euro ensembles (10"+)

The 6z GEFS is in agreement with the 0z Euro ensemble mean. The large,intense PV and energy crashing in the Pacific NW, support weaker or suppressed storm. Of course, if the PV is weaker, or the Pacific energy holds back that could change. But that hasn't been the trend, the last few weeks...

Of course now that it's getting to late March, in this winter suppression is becoming more likely. :axe:

This looks like a pure coastal so it's going to be handled differently than the last storm. I'll say this, the control run might not have been so crazy the gfs really intensifies this to below 970 though well off shore right now. You wouldn't want it to show any hit this far out anyway but the threat is clearly there. When you eject such a cold and anomalous air mass this late in the year into building warmth down south, you could get quite a powerful system.

Archived