• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Winter 2013 - 2014 Banter Thread

NEG NAO

One thing for sure the highs fail to hit freezing from 3/24-3/28.  This is definite on all models right now.  Two days are 22-24 F at best and the last week of March will have -25 to -30 F departures.  I think we go to 5-7 F in the city three days that week for lows.  -19 C at 850 and -16 C at 925 for a few days will be locks on not making freezing for 4-5 days.  I do not think I am wrong with this.  If that storm could trend north, a real HECS threat given pattern. I see 3/31-4/6 being seasonal and rainy with the persistent cold pattern looking to lock above 45 North for the first time in many months.  Looks to get real warm south of 37 North.  50's may become more regular a few days after 3/28.  Any thoughts ??

NYC has only recorded 7 sub-freezing high temperatures later than 3/24 since 1869.  Most of those were before 1925.  The one anomaly was the April 1982 bomb.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NYC has only recorded 7 sub-freezing high temperatures later than 3/24 since 1869.  Most of those were before 1925.  The one anomaly was the April 1982 bomb.

He forgot to mention the 40" of snow we're going to get that week. One HECS to establish the cold, and another one as it departs.

GGEM looks like January instead of March

Watching the landscapers today is hilarious. They are trying to rake out beds that are frozen solid.

As a landscape designer I'm not even entertaining the thought of planting till the third week In April.

I would say a cold spring -3 or more departures a pretty good lock for coastal areas

12z GGEM Ensembles. Really good look.

http://weather.gc.ca/ensemble/charts_e.html?Hour=180&Day=0&RunTime=12&Type=pnm

there is like one borderline decent hint there, absolutely nothing to get excited about and being late in march next week...well this has a chance below 10% of delivering snow at the coast or near it

that implies our chances of anything significant are low

180 hours out. Enough said.

you never learn anything

Actually, you never learn anything. You're already giving up on a storm a week away? Come on dude.I know this storm might be a long shot for our area but when do we get a chance to track a big storm at the end of March that can deliver a lot of snow?

How does AccuWx still have 25" as the normal for NYC, If you use the most accurate number (the most data) it is ~ 29"....never understood why u would use an arbitrary very short term period to determine the long term average

They are using the official normals.  What's wrong with that? 

They are using the official normals.  What's wrong with that? 

I just dot understand why they make such a short period of time (last 30 years) the 'long time average'. Over time that will constantly make the long term average a moving target, when it should be nearly stationary. All that time period is picking up is a piece of a cycle. 

The 70-00 average was like 22"

The 90-20 average could be 32"

While the real answer is 29" (largest amount of data you have)

Archived