CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Winter 2013 - 2014 Banter Thread

NEG NAO

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The control run is essentially all of the euro ensembles being run at the same time with very low resolution. It's an experimental product.

As I understand, it's the initialization data and physics package of the op run, but at the resolution of the individual ensemble members.

Edit: Didn't see Ray already addressed this. I haven't looked, but if this product really depicted an 897 mb low or something... how do you get such crazy discrepencies just by lowering the model's resolution, if everything else is the same?

OK, looks like the Euro control needs an explanation.

You have the Euro operational, high resolution, best model data feed, in essence "the best of the best".

The Euro Ensemble is a blend of 50 ensemble members plus the EPS control run.  Really great as a blend, not good individually.

So, what is the EPS control?  Its a lower version of the Euro operational.  In essence, a crappier version of the Euro op.

Kapish?

Ray. Isn't the control the OP run 51 x ? Regardless most of us look to the ensembles. But do they even skill score the control ?

Ray. Isn't the control the OP run 51 x ? Regardless most of us look to the ensembles. But do they even skill score the control ?

No. Julian explained it pretty well too, but I suppose I should explain how ensembles work.

Ensemble members are different model runs with mildly altered initial conditions.  The idea is that the initial conditions we input into operational models (GFS, Euro Op, UKMET, NAM, GGEM) are never "perfect", so certain assumptions are made about where small errors may exist and these are the starting point for the different model runs.

The EPS control takes the Euro op initial conditions (i.e., the best intial conditions we have) but runs it at the same resolution as all the members (i.e., lower resolution).  The idea is to see what the members would spit out without any changes to the initial data.  Because all of this is run at a lower resolution than the Euro op, its not as good individually, but generally a bit better when taken as a whole (average).

OK, looks like the Euro control needs an explanation.

You have the Euro operational, high resolution, best model data feed, in essence "the best of the best".

The Euro Ensemble is a blend of 50 ensemble members plus the EPS control run. Really great as a blend, not good individually.

So, what is the EPS control? Its a lower version of the Euro operational. In essence, a crappier version of the Euro op.

Kapish?

Why have the control run around then if the op euro and ensembles are far superior? Seems strange

As long as we have a quiet hurricane season I'll be happy. I have a new yacht in jersey city. I'll be pissed if I have to travel north river to ride out a storm

As long as we have a quiet hurricane season I'll be happy. I have a new yacht in jersey city. I'll be pissed if I have to travel north river to ride out a storm

The happiest 2 days in a boat owner's life...the day he picks up his new boat, and the day he gets rid of it....

Why have the control run around then if the op euro and ensembles are far superior? Seems strange

The control is a part of the Euro ensembles.  Hence my comment about looking at the EPS control being not much better than looking at an individual GFS ensemble member.  I've noticed people don't do that as much as they used to.

The control is a part of the Euro ensembles. Hence my comment about looking at the EPS control being not much better than looking at an individual GFS ensemble member. I've noticed people don't do that as much as they used to.

Thank you for posting. So blending the EPS in with rest of the ensambles essentially helps to "smooth out" the overall solution of the euro ensambles? Essentially it keeps a couple wild ensambles members from skewing the average solution too far?

The control is a part of the Euro ensembles. Hence my comment about looking at the EPS control being not much better than looking at an individual GFS ensemble member. I've noticed people don't do that as much as they used to.

I believe there are differences in the initial condition of the atmosphere that the control and Ensembles are run with as well. Essentially the control is like an individual member run with the current initial atmosphere versus different initial conditions like other ensemble members are run with.

Thank you for posting. So blending the EPS in with rest of the ensambles essentially helps to "smooth out" the overall solution of the euro ensambles? Essentially it keeps a couple wild ensambles members from skewing the average solution too far?

Yes

Archived