northernriwx
Winter 2013 - 2014 Banter Thread

NEG NAO

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The storm will be back today

I'm hoping :(

The eternal optimist my friend. Do yourself a favor today though, its forecasted to be over 50 today go outside and enjoy yourself and dont pay attention to the models. Im in the spring mode now which means i honestly gave zero ***** on the monday storm if it happened or not. Its mid march enjoy the warm weather we've had enough cold days

I'm working later so I will be enjoying the day outside. This is all my fault that the storm failed. It has never snowed once when I'm off from work. Im off Monday. If it doesnt snow monday, time to get back in shape. Jogging and biking ftw. Can't wait to play handball. :)

I'm working later so I will be enjoying the day outside. This is all my fault that the storm failed. It has never snowed once when I'm off from work. Im off Monday. If it doesnt snow monday, time to get back in shape. Jogging and biking ftw. Can't wait to play handball. :)

You get any details this weekend? There's a ton

Tuesday officially did winter in for me personally. Was outside 10 in the morning washing, clay barring ( winter really had alot of crap in the clearcoat ) and waxing/ glazing. Polished my wheels as well. Winter has ended for me and honestly it was a historical one besides the let downs what looks to be the last three storms. Next up, fishing season ;)

The eternal optimist my friend. Do yourself a favor today though, its forecasted to be over 50 today go outside and enjoy yourself and dont pay attention to the models. Im in the spring mode now which means i honestly gave zero ***** on the monday storm if it happened or not. Its mid march enjoy the warm weather we've had enough cold days

This!

I'm sealing the deal on a 30ft live a board boat today in jersey. Nice day for it!

The models use to do a better job 2+ days out. This winter, they have been terrible. In the 1st half of winter, storms trended favorable for us as we got closer, now it's the opposite. In the last 4 storms, the models had a big snowstorm for our area and look, nothing at all happened.  This isn't a bad pattern for snow lovers. The PV is what is killing the chances. Like I said, the pv on our side is what we need but the position is the key.

FAIL

1zdx9bo.jpg

2guwl8l.jpg

fjj33m.jpg

The GGEM,GGEM Ensembles, Ukie and Euro Ensembles also showed a nice storm at one point. The GFS and GEFS also.

Meh, models being off on a specific storm track by a few hundred miles at 4-5 days out is acceptable by current standards. The best models sniffed out the southern track by 72 hours out.

he does it again

This run even looks dry for DC

Minor improvements on the NAM vs. 6z run. Trough is less positively tilted at hr 54, and further east. PV noticeably further north and east vs. 6z. Allows the qpf further 25 - 50 miles north or so. Obviously not enough to get excited about, but something to just watch.

If I was running this forum for winter 2014/2015 - I would 

1. Limit all regular posters to 10 posts per day

2. Posters with the Met , Pro Forecaster, Administrator and Moderator tag would be allowed unlimited posts

3. Individual storm threads can only be created 3 days prior to any event

4. All other threads would have to be approved by a moderator

5. There would be a separate thread for each storm where only posters with the Met tag could post

6. Only posters that have been signed up here for a min. 6 months could post in individual storm threads unless they have a Met tag

If I was running this forum for winter 2014/2015 - I would 

1. Limit all regular posters to 10 posts per day

2. Posters with the Met , Pro Forecaster, Administrator and Moderator tag would be allowed unlimited posts

3. Individual storm threads can only be created 3 days prior to any event

4. All other threads would have to be approved by a moderator

5. There would be a separate thread for each storm where only posters with the Met tag could post

6. Only posters that have been signed up here for a min. 6 months could post in individual storm threads unless they have a Met tag

All good ideas except for #1. I don't see why regular posters who make good comments can't post more than that, especially in banter

All good ideas except for #1. I don't see why regular posters who make good comments can't post more than that, especially in banter

yes good idea they would be allowed unlimited in banter if that is possible - might not be on this web site - we as a group should try to make the storm threads an intelligent read - right now they are a disaster - we all get carried away sometimes posting nonsense

yes good idea they would be allowed unlimited in banter if that is possible - might not be on this web site - we as a group should try to make the storm threads an intelligent read - right now they are a disaster - we all get carried away sometimes posting nonsense

I agree and half of the posts end up responses to other people's useless comments

Never heard of the Koppen climate classification before.  So, off to Wiki.  But while I'm having a little issue matching color codes, I think NYC is Dfa, or it isn't subtropical as asserted above///

Any system that puts OKC and MCO in the same climate group, well, I wonder about that.

ETA:  Re-reading different Wiki link, NYC is Cfa -  that is subtropical.  Sounds like a goofy scheme.  And hard to tell from the map NYC is a different climate than the rest of NY State/

Koppen_World_Map_%28retouched_version%29

Unless you accept that climate is not the same as weather; Atlanta and Philly, same climate, different weather. That's how I explain it to climate deniers. I'm not a scientist but I am married to one :)

I agree and half of the posts end up responses to other people's useless comments

Eh, if I want to read a scientific discussion exclusively I can just read the NWS discussions, which are pretty darn good. I enjoy reading the stuff here but honestly I don't get half of it and trust the judgement of the better posters, and I really find the more dense discussions impenetrable and tedious. The vort this, the vort that. I do get what suppression and a lot of other terms mean and understand enough that I am incredibly the go to guy at work, but beyond that, it's like a doc analyzing your MRI or ultrasound, you don't really know what the hell he's looking at but you hope he's right when he says it looks ok. I work with a lot of science types and can tolerate the impatience many have with those of us who don't see the patterns quickly, patterns that are obvious to those with training and who can think scientifically. So I don't take it personally when one of them gets huffy with me. Most of the time anyway.

Eh, if I want to read a scientific discussion exclusively I can just read the NWS discussions, which are pretty darn good. I enjoy reading the stuff here but honestly I don't get half of it and trust the judgement of the better posters, and I really find the more dense discussions impenetrable and tedious. The vort this, the vort that. I do get what suppression and a lot of other terms mean and understand enough that I am incredibly the go to guy at work, but beyond that, it's like a doc analyzing your MRI or ultrasound, you don't really know what the hell he's looking at but you hope he's right when he says it looks ok. I work with a lot of science types and can tolerate the impatience many have with those of us who don't see the patterns quickly, patterns that are obvious to those with training and who can think scientifically. So I don't take it personally when one of them gets huffy with me. Most of the time anyway.

I was talking more about the comments that belong in banter that end up clogging up the main thread. Then you get a page and a half of responses to that comment which shouldnt have been there to begin with.

Archived