northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Winter 2013 - 2014 Banter Thread

NEG NAO

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

btw I totally agree with your rant in the main thread. Whether we can see the model or not on our own isn't the point. Usually I wait til its done and look at it myself. But if I'm one of the people reading the thread and someone volunteers to do a pbp they should refrain from jumping the gun, exaggerating or playing favorites depending on where they live etc. and in general provide accurate information.

Thanks, and yup, for sure. I do appreciate that people dedicate their personal time to what they think is a good cause (and much of the time, it is a useful service), but a few individuals tend to play the "I'm a volunteer, so you can't criticize me" card, which is unfair imo. I hate to be blunt, since most of the folks posting are pleasant enough, but it's just a bit disappointing to see.

I know we've had 60" this winter, but I can't help but feel disappointed. Every threat since mid Feb has crapped the bed. It wouldn't be so bad if there was some nice warm weather on the horizon, but the cold doesn't look to be leaving anytime soon. Cold and dry FTL in Spring. If the snow is done for the season, then bring on the 60's and 70's please.

I've been following this site for a couple of months after being referred here by teacher friends who told me that they look to this forum rather than larger sites such as weather.com for weather information.  I cannot say that I will continue to look here for weather data.  While it can be fun to follow a storm and interpret the data provided by the different models, everybody here is way too unbiased and wintercentric to provide any sort of objective and concrete analysis.

Even the admins who are revered were posting information this morning, merely hours ago, that directly contradicts what has been posted this afternoon.  I remember seeing that same thing happen with the last storm to hit the mid atlantic last week.  Clearly, just about everybody here is either a weather novice, even those who post using technical jargon, or the science behind meteoroly is just not very advanced.  In either case, I cannot see why there are such disparaging comments made about the more mainstream weather sites that do not seesaw between extremem scenarios four times a day based on the many and contradicting meteorological tools at their disposal.  They tend to take a more conservative and reasoned approach, which ultimately has provided them with more consistency, accuracy and reliability in their forecasting.  

I feel like I'm reading a bunch of adderall ingesting weather junkies' fever dreams when I browse this forum.

I've been following this site for a couple of months after being referred here by teacher friends who told me that they look to this forum rather than larger sites such as weather.com for weather information. I cannot say that I will continue to look here for weather data. While it can be fun to follow a storm and interpret the data provided by the different models, everybody here is way too unbiased and wintercentric to provide any sort of objective and concrete analysis.

Even the admins who are revered were posting information this morning, merely hours ago, that directly contradicts what has been posted this afternoon. I remember seeing that same thing happen with the last storm to hit the mid atlantic last week. Clearly, just about everybody here is either a weather novice, even those who post using technical jargon, or the science behind meteoroly is just not very advanced. In either case, I cannot see why there are such disparaging comments made about the more mainstream weather sites that do not seesaw between extremem scenarios four times a day based on the many and contradicting meteorological tools at their disposal. They tend to take a more conservative and reasoned approach, which ultimately has provided them with more consistency, accuracy and reliability in their forecasting.

I feel like I'm reading a bunch of adderall ingesting weather junkies' fever dreams when I browse this forum.

Lee Goldberg and many other mets went from 6-12 to trace-1 last storm. Don't blame the forum users that the models are all over the place

I'm pretty sure the entire suite of globals cancelling St Patrick's Day fun means no fun for St Patrick's Day (well, there is always Bud with green food coloring or Guinness for people willing to spend some money) but I remember the one time the models killed a storm on FRiday and brought it back Monday.

Glass 1/64th optimistic.

I've been following this site for a couple of months after being referred here by teacher friends who told me that they look to this forum rather than larger sites such as weather.com for weather information.  I cannot say that I will continue to look here for weather data.  While it can be fun to follow a storm and interpret the data provided by the different models, everybody here is way too unbiased and wintercentric to provide any sort of objective and concrete analysis.

Even the admins who are revered were posting information this morning, merely hours ago, that directly contradicts what has been posted this afternoon.  I remember seeing that same thing happen with the last storm to hit the mid atlantic last week.  Clearly, just about everybody here is either a weather novice, even those who post using technical jargon, or the science behind meteoroly is just not very advanced.  In either case, I cannot see why there are such disparaging comments made about the more mainstream weather sites that do not seesaw between extremem scenarios four times a day based on the many and contradicting meteorological tools at their disposal.  They tend to take a more conservative and reasoned approach, which ultimately has provided them with more consistency, accuracy and reliability in their forecasting.  

I think you meant biased..otherwise thanks for the compliment.

You are being kind

I wonder what the forecasts would be like if some of these Mets had to go back to using limited model data similar to what was available pre 1970's - seems to me they would have alot of problems because they rely so heavily on the models these days - reason I bring this up is after reading quite a few of the comments online from some famous Mets who are really confused after this latest model flip at 12Z

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_numerical_weather_prediction

I wonder what the forecasts would be like if some of these Mets had to go back to using limited model data similar to what was available pre 1970's - seems to me they would have alot of problems because they rely so heavily on the models these days - reason I bring this up is after reading quite a few of the comments online from some famous Mets who are really confused after this latest model flip at 12Z

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_numerical_weather_prediction

I don't think there could be 5 day forecasts without models..as we know 78/83 and other big storms busted in a good way

If this doesn't work out then at least the complaining will end with anymore threats after this highly unlikely though I wouldn't be surprised if we got something in late March or April. It would probably end up sneaking up on us as the good events generally tend to do. The month has been unusually dry so far so somethings gotta give. 

If this doesn't work out then at least the complaining will end with anymore threats after this highly unlikely though I wouldn't be surprised if we got something in late March or April. It would probably end up sneaking up on us as the good events generally tend to do. The month has been unusually dry so far so somethings gotta give. 

it is a good thing that the month has been very dry so far because it allowed all that snow to melt gradually otherwise if heavy rains melted it there would have been problems with saturated ground and massive flooding 

Not any more than you can site it as proof NYC is a sub tropical climate. Enjoy your umbrella drinks under the palms.

I never sited it as proof of a subtropical climate, I said the climate of NYC allows for subtropical flora, which it does. Some don't realize just how mild the winters here are when compared to real continental climates, the temperature difference between Minneapolis and NYC in the winter (Dec-Feb) is about the same as it is between Tallahassee and NYC. And in terms of hardiness zones, NYC (7b) is actually closer to Tallahassee (8b) than it is to Minneapolis (5a). It isn't proof of a subtropical climate, I personally don't view NYC as subtropical, or continental. There should be a separate classification for the climates that are in between imo.

PS. Where do you think the breeding stock for cold hardy magnolia come from? The plants that have proven they can survive in the Everglades?

They likely originated from individual plants that braved severe cold better than neighboring plants of the same species. There's usually demand for tougher strains of a lot of plants.

Personally I like the models just the way they  are.... not really able to hone in on things until the last minute, and even then we usually wind up with surprises. Do we really wanna know exactly whats gonna happen a week from now?.... I think some of us might lose some of the passion that we have for the weather.... that feeling of being surprised and not knowing exactly how things will turn out.

I feel forky should either be banned or 5 posted for the future.  I've been reading these boards since the inception after the move from Eastern and while he is an ok met he seems like a loathsome human being.  For every one post of useful info posted by him you have 10 posts of banter or negativity which don't belong in the storm threads.  If you really need to feel better about yourself or get joy out of trolling a weather board you really need some new interests.

Archived