• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Winter 2013 - 2014 Banter Thread

NEG NAO

Its pretty funny the canadian said no at 5 days out for early march non storm and was all alone in its funny looking output, and got it right. This time it was gung ho on major snow from day 5 to day 3 and is wrong. The GFS had basically the same solution for that storm and was totally wrong. Now it always hated this and its right. When the Euro is our friend its wrong and is always right when it hates a storm the others like. 

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its pretty funny the canadian said no at 5 days out for early march non storm and was all alone in its funny looking output, and got it right. This time it was gung ho on major snow from day 5 to day 3 and is wrong. The GFS had basically the same solution for that storm and was totally wrong. Now it always hated this and its right. When the Euro is our friend its wrong and is always right when it hates a storm the others like.

Yep every model found a way to screw us this winter

Their performance was still pretty bad even with our events that worked out

To me that's the whole problem. The models didn't work in our favor the storms did. The models just caught on late with what was really going to happen. So much model hugging. Not saying either of you guys are more guilty then anyone else by the way. It's just the way it is on this forum.

Stamp this on the NAM.

It has succumbed to the other players. I don't know if it's bad data or bad interpolation / interpretation of the data. First to bring the snowstorm up, last to push it away. (At one point, it had the storm so far north that it changed to rain on the coast) but for the most part, it has become a useless model to watch this winter in terms of placement of systems.

For 3 runs in a row, it now sees the cold air suppressing heavy snow well south. Is that a trend? For the NAM, it is.

So, while there still may be another rain shower in spots, much of today will be dry and mild. It will turn colder tonight and tomorrow.

St Patrick's Day & parade will be quite cold.

Don't get me wrong, the storm is real; it's not a weather model fantasy. A decent snowmaker will once again dump several inches, perhaps even 4"+ in southern NJ on south. Philly could get 2-4" and 5-10" possible in the mid Atlantic states. The reason I'm keeping those numbers inflated is because it will fall mostly Sunday night. If it was during the daylight hours, a lot of it would melt.

For us, I'll keep the chance of getting fringed by the northern extent of the precip shield through Monday morning. Then, the cold air wins out again, a la 2 weekends ago. Some of us will need the broom for a coating to an inch or 2 at most (maybe nothing but flurries, north & west); we shouldn't have to shovel a whole bunch of green snow.

And you know what? The rest of the week no longer appears as threatening in terms of bitter temps or threats of snow. Perhaps we're finally turning the corner??

998277_10152276315087720_1229519945_n.jp

Guest Pamela

Seasonal Snowfall
2013-14 Winter
As of 3/15/2014 / 5:30 PM

Worcester: 84.3"
Allentown: 66.9"

Philadelphia Intl. Airport: 62.9"

Newark Airport: 60.7"
Islip, NY: 58.9"

Boston: 58.6"
NYC Central Park: 57.4"
Bridgeport / Sikorsky: 56.3"
NWS Upton L.I.: 55.0"
NYC LaGuardia: 52.1"
Hartford: 50.1"
NYC JFK: 45.5"
Providence: 43.3"
Washington Dulles: 37.9"
Atlantic City: 33.7"
Baltimore (BWI): 30.7"
Washington National: 23.1"

Guest Pamela

Seasonal Snowfall / Long Island
2013-14 Winter
As of 3/15/2014 / 5:30 PM

Port Jefferson: 65.7"
Smithtown: 64.3"
Baiting Hollow: 59.8"
Centerport: 59.8"
Islip / MacArthur Airport: 58.9"
BNL / Upton: 55.0"

Seasonal Snowfall / Long Island

2013-14 Winter

As of 3/15/2014 / 5:30 PM

Port Jefferson: 65.7"

Smithtown: 64.3"

Baiting Hollow: 59.8"

Centerport: 59.8"

Islip / MacArthur Airport: 58.9"

BNL / Upton: 55.0"

Any measures for Staten Island or New Brunswick NJ? 60 at Newark seems low.

Guest Pamela

Any measures for Staten Island or New Brunswick NJ? 60 at Newark seems low.

The NWS cooperative for New Brunswick, NJ has 56.2 inches of snow this winter to date...

The NWS cooperative for New Brunswick, NJ has 56.2 inches of snow this winter to date...

Think it puts us ahead of 94 a bit, I'm closer to SI but part of it juts south of me, so will say around 57. Great, but not epic. Had more total in 2011. but when you have one storm at 32" it doesn't take much to have an epic winter....we still haven't come near the 09-10 Mid Atlantic totals, which I hold is a once a generation, or even less, anomaly.

Think it puts us ahead of 94 a bit, I'm closer to SI but part of it juts south of me, so will say around 57. Great, but not epic. Had more total in 2011. but when you have one storm at 32" it doesn't take much to have an epic winter....we still haven't come near the 09-10 Mid Atlantic totals, which I hold is a once a generation, or even less, anomaly.

Had 50 inches here on S.I. during the 93-94 season.

Euro Control run has a 988 mb low near Hatteras at 228 hrs, with moderate snow falling here.  At 234 hrs it has a 956 mb low about 100 miles off of Atlantic City with heavy snow falling here, at 240 hrs it has a 944 mb low just south of Cape Cod with extremely heavy snow here, at 246 hrs it has a 948 mb low just north of Cape Cod with heavy snow still falling, then it is over.  QPF over 2 inches.  Ok, then.  

LMAO how about that for a stimulus package. 

I just want a storm to cripple NYC for a week, stopping all commerce for days next week. 

"This city is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions…human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together…mass hysteria!"

--Dr. Peter Venkman

Archived