northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Winter 2013 - 2014 Banter Thread

NEG NAO

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if you guys want a snowstorm monday - store away your snowblowers drain the oil and gas out first - pack away all your shovels and winter clothes - that should increase our chances .......... :mapsnow:

I want my 60's and 70's! VW show season starts april 7th for dubs on defrost commence lake, CT. Have to detail my car before then and need NO SNOW!

He's been trying to get me 5 posted for ages, hasn't worked yet.

Very professional for a met to be doing that.

I have seriously questioned on more than one occasion as to whether or not he actually has a met degree or not.

actually it would be a good idea IMO to limit everyones number of posts per day - you would see a big change around here IMO maybe 10 ? Another idea would be for people to have to earn their way into main storm threads meaning they have a history  of being resposnsible posters etc.

actually it would be a good idea IMO to limit everyones number of posts per day - you would see a big change around here IMO maybe 10 ? Another idea would be for people to have to earn their way into main storm threads meaning they have a history of being resposnsible posters etc.

I somehow agree with this. This place is like a Java chat room Sometimes with people just writing or the first ill conceived thought that comes to mind. Limiting posts. .. or having it on a scalar system like you suggest could really help people think before they post and Foster more concise and well thought out discussions.

He's been trying to get me 5 posted for ages, hasn't worked yet.

Very professional for a met to be doing that.

I have seriously questioned on more than one occasion as to whether or not he actually has a met degree or not.

forks a severe weather fan.  i understand alot of u guys like snow but many take to another level.  dont u find it a waste of time to follow a storm 180 hrs out when 9 out of 10 times it will never materialize.    I feel like i wasted time looking at the models last night i can only imagine what i would feel if i followed them run after run for 7 days

forks a severe weather fan.  i understand alot of u guys like snow but many take to another level.  dont u find it a waste of time to follow a storm 180 hrs out when 9 out of 10 times it will never materialize.    I feel like i wasted time looking at the models last night i can only imagine what i would feel if i followed them run after run for 7 days

It's a hobby, and during typical winters where we go weeks without a threat I don't post here sometimes for days or even weeks at a time. Yes I have over 13000 posts but over 3 1/2 years.

We are likely going to compete among the winter greats this time.  Are we ready to challenge 1977-1978 and 1993-1994.?  Sure looks like it.  This seems to be an old fashioned classic winter with the excellent pacific for the next few months.  If we get -AO and -NAO, with a strato warming the northeast could have coldest and snowiest winter in decades, no joking here.  It may stay cold to frigid and snowy straight till April for alot of us. Maybe only be above freezing 10 percent of the time for the next 3 months. t looks like North America's turn for the frigid side of the NP/Siberian cross polar flow.  I bet NYC has a record low minimum this winter and sees a -5 to -8 F low .  Could NYC area have a 60 inch winter or greater ? to be determined.....  Wonder if we go to a chilly raw drizzly mid spring with very chilled NE coast waters ? and to a sudden torrid summer that starts in late May and stays on the hot side for a good part.  Do you see any possibility of this being right?  What volcano's did I miss ????

Mikehobbyst was closer than anybody else on the seasonal forecast. 

Guest Pamela

forks a severe weather fan.

I think the guy's a friend of the administrator or something...so he can basically say whatever he wants.

Never heard of the Koppen climate classification before.  So, off to Wiki.  But while I'm having a little issue matching color codes, I think NYC is Dfa, or it isn't subtropical as asserted above///

Any system that puts OKC and MCO in the same climate group, well, I wonder about that.

ETA:  Re-reading different Wiki link, NYC is Cfa -  that is subtropical.  Sounds like a goofy scheme.  And hard to tell from the map NYC is a different climate than the rest of NY State/

Koppen_World_Map_%28retouched_version%29

Guest Pamela

I mean this is a global classification scheme...and its bright lines / boundaries are really anything but. 

I wrote years ago that NYC & Long Island lie in a transitional zone between the cold, snowy winters to the north and the mild, rainy winters to the south...I gave a rough depiction of the zone with the following boundaries....the northern border of this transitional zone would run from say about Boston over to Danbury over to about the Delaware Water Gap....& the southern boundary of this zone would run from about Barnegat Light (40 N) over to about Wilmington, Delaware. 

Guest Pamela

I mean this is a global classification scheme...and its bright lines / boundaries are really anything but. 

I wrote years ago that NYC & Long Island lie in a transitional zone between the cold, snowy winters to the north and the mild, rainy winters to the south...I gave a rough depiction of the zone with the following boundaries....the northern border of this transitional zone would run from say about Boston over to Danbury over to about the Delaware Water Gap....& the southern boundary of this zone would run from about Barnegat Light (40 N) over to about Wilmington, Delaware. 

In summer, everyone east of the Mississippi is basically subject to very warm & humid conditions...with relief only obtained via altitude or proximity to cooling breezes off the Great Lakes or Atlantic Ocean. 

I couldn't agree more with your boundaries.

Archived