Newest Member
    12bet1 net
December Banter Thread 2

H2O

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is from the storm thread-don't want to clutter it up too much:

fairly certain that was a dig at Phin who called out Mac for posting in here yesterday....

bingo

with the understanding that ravensule is out of town i can sincerely say i hope my mid-atlantic friends get nailed...good luck...

this is from the storm thread-don't want to clutter it up too much:

bingo

with the understanding that ravensule is out of town i can sincerely say i hope my mid-atlantic friends get nailed...good luck...

I understood ya! And thanks! You beat me yesterday, but not by much... picked up 7.5 at home , hope the kids loved the snow! Go back a page to see mine in it :)

I understood ya! And thanks! You beat me yesterday, but not by much... picked up 7.5 at home , hope the kids loved the snow! Go back a page to see mine in it :)

saw it...she's adorable...my critters begged to go sledding, and then realized how painful snow in mittens is, so it was hot chocolate in front of the fire, christmas tree, and eagles game (with some porter and bourbon for the a-dults)...this is why i hope folks who missed yesterday get a taste tomorrow...it was a lot of fun...

saw it...she's adorable...my critters begged to go sledding, and then realized how painful snow in mittens is, so it was hot chocolate in front of the fire, christmas tree, and eagles game (with some porter and bourbon for the a-dults)...this is why i hope folks who missed yesterday get a taste tomorrow...it was a lot of fun...

Thanks! Nice call on the bourbon and that Eagles game looked wild!

fair enough. But you are compelled to post over 10k times in OT on a weather forum. Same virus, different strain. 

Agreed. Posting more in OT on a weather forum versus the weather side, is another sign of severe sickness. I'm guilty as charged.

not even close, and OT used to be a very lively place where many of us racked up high post counts.  I think the long timers here would agree that I'm not obsessed with snow to the point of posting 100 times a day or melting down like a child if a forecast busts.

I took your name off the list. You are cured and can go back to healthy OT posting. 

Does this mean I don't post enough?  I was a member at Eastern for a little while, but here I'm only approaching 500 posts.  Now that I graduated, maybe I'll be up there with the elite sooner or later.  I do probably make too much effort trying to get my English right.

Lets see...between eastern, dBm, weenietown, forty south and here I think I probably have 30-35k posts...my posting at american has slowed considerably though..I lost interest in ot/sports and spring summer and fall

being a vikings fan can do that.  Same as me and the skins

FB/Foot's forecast "met".

Joey Krastel @NimbusStorms 9m

Skies have cleared a little over the last hour, without that cloud layer, cooler air will be allowed to drop down to surface levels

Joey Krastel @NimbusStorms 8m

It all has to do with timing of the cloud layer exiting and reentry

Joey Krastel @NimbusStorms 7m

#simplemeteorology

:facepalm:

FB/Foot's forecast "met".

Joey Krastel @NimbusStorms 9m

Skies have cleared a little over the last hour, without that cloud layer, cooler air will be allowed to drop down to surface levels

Joey Krastel @NimbusStorms 8m

It all has to do with timing of the cloud layer exiting and reentry

Joey Krastel @NimbusStorms 7m

#simplemeteorology

:facepalm:

Gotta love foot. They really got going during 09/10 and haven't looked back. Pretty sure they're trying to go national.

Gotta love foot. They really got going during 09/10 and haven't looked back. Pretty sure they're trying to go national.

It's just that they don't even understand "simple meteorology".. There's a inversion overhead and if air were to "mix down" it would get way warmer. Not to mention that cold air never truely "mixes down" due to something called lapse rates. The reason why it's getting cold is because longwave rad > shortwave rad. Earth radiation budget 101 here.

I realized this morning that I was going to hit 10k posts today and at first thought it was kinda cool. But then I thought about it a bit more and realized a couple things.

#1, amassing 10k posts on a weather forum indicates unusual personality traits. You know, the kind of traits that doctors could construe as borderline obsessive compulsive, psychotic, deranged or as most normal people would say, just downright weird.

#2, it's clear that I either have lots of free time or I'm wasting too many valuable minutes of my life lamenting about weather in general and most importantly, if it's going to snow in my yard. I've decided that I'm wasting too many valuable minutes. But I appear powerless over my obsession with a stupid pile of frozen water for whatever reason and I blame it on #1.

So I have some sort of mental illness that's basically harmless with the exception of occasional sleep deprivation and unreasonable mood swings over something as stupid as not getting snow. Do I need treatment or company? So far I choose company. Many are here for snow but plenty are here hoping for f5's in their yard or cat 5's in their town, or even volcanos and earthquakes or a random meteor strike (these aren't technically weather but there are rooters here. you know who you are). We're all a bunch of sicko's that normal people think are weirdos. But as we congregate en mass, so we become normal. Works for me.

Lastly, also realized that post count is an estimated sickometer. The more posts you got, the sicker you are. Anyone over 10k is seriously afflicted. Not some casual observer. But a seriously afflicted and damaged individual. Need proof? Let's just take the top 8 from Amwx:

CoastalWx: 60k+. He's a bit of an anomaly though because he contributes quality stuff tirelessly. He's more of a professor of the weenies than a sicko so he gets a pass.

Damage in Tolland: 37k+ posts. Not sure I need to say much else here.

Weatherwiz: 36k+. If weather stopped happening he would spontaneously combust

ORH_wxman: 35k+ posts. He has to moderate the forum that has the 2 most afflicted individuals on the board so he gets a bit of a pass

Ian: 31k+. No pass here. It's obvious

Ginxy: 30k+. Wow

Hubb: 26k+. Wow

Yoda: 22K. Self declared sicko

Some honorable mentions to further prove my point: Stormtracker, Snow88, ALEK, Mapgirl, Fozz, Zwyts, H20, PhineasC. There are plenty more on the list too. It's almost too scary to read the list all at once.

Does anyone remotely question the sickometer? Irrefutable evidence my friends. And now I'm part of the 5 digit club. I don't feel like I accomplished anything special or unique. The reality is the fact that my only prize is joining a group of very afflicted people. This is not noteworthy, brag worthy, or even something I want to tell my friends and family.

So here it is. My 10,000th post. I am one weird dude.

It's not weird but i think it's a reflection of wanting something you have absolutely no control over. Viewing these models helps ease our fears that a storm will bust. Probably the rational thing to do is learn so that model intrepretation improves and emotions run a little lower.

It's just that they don't even understand "simple meteorology".. There's a inversion overhead and if air were to "mix down" it would get way warmer. Not to mention that cold air never truely "mixes down" due to something called lapse rates. The reason why it's getting cold is because longwave rad > shortwave rad. Earth radiation budget 101 here.

Yea but if they actually posted something that technical people would stop reading and national syndication would be in jeopardy. Most readers can't handle Met 101. Met K-1 maybe. 

Archived