• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
The "What To Title The Storm?" Thread - Dec 8-9

stormtracker

it is better than 12z...it is colder...and it gets precip here earlier...12z was basically nothing until afternoon...i think you are in a good spot...you are below freezing by late evening on Saturday....i have snow maps, and this run gets you 4"....and it gets the 2" contour all the way to the bay...at 12z it ran right through DC....these are based on 10:1 ratio....but even at 8:1 you are good for 3"...I am not as concerned with warm ground....sun is dead...it will be mid to upper 20s when it starts...and it will lay right away...this is not the usual mid february 35.6 degrees light snow that does nothing..

It does show a narrow qpf max with the first wave of up to .4 in 6 hours but its south. Due west of fredricksburg. I don't think its worth getting hung up about fine details either. It's plenty cold and there's an initial wave. My wag is it's more widespread and uniform. Maybe not 5" of qpf in 15 minutes but I don't see how the euro is a bad run. I really like speeding up onset. That is key for sure.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh...I see...you promised your fans what you may not be able to deliver..."best in years"    :lol:

"The new american gfs model is even wetter and colder. More snow...more ice..and probably power outages if this verifies. A major winter storm....the best in years if it pans out."

That is the scariest part of your whole statement.

It does show a narrow qpf max with the first wave of up to .4 in 6 hours but its south. Due west of fredricksburg. I don't think its worth getting hung up about fine details either. It's plenty cold and there's an initial wave. My wag is it's more widespread and uniform. Maybe not 5" of qpf in 15 minutes but I don't see how the euro is a bad run. I really like speeding up onset. That is key for sure.

agreed...to me a better run than 12z overall..waiting until mid afternoon for a thump was dangerous...colder and gets precip in here quicker...thats a good thing..

Oh...I see...you promised your fans what you may not be able to deliver..."best in years" :lol:

"The new american gfs model is even wetter and colder. More snow...more ice..and probably power outages if this verifies. A major winter storm....the best in years if it pans out."

Lol didn't promise anything lots of ifs in there but the euro dryness has always concerned me. Best in years is not saying much lol

I also have angst because this is probably our final storm of the season

One of the problems with having monster highs in great position is the presence of the very dry surface air.  Still believe the Euro may be doing a better job of accounting for hours of virga at the beginning of the storm, and thus will be more likely to verify qpf wise.  Sucks when you see the radar returns over your house and look outside and see overcast skies.  Big strong arctic highs can be snow eaters.

Looking at track of the low...Wouldn't enough of the column warm to change over to sleet or freezing rain or just plain rain by around midnight Sunday night.  Maybe I am reading this wrong... would love for someone to someone to comment who has more experience reading models but Averaging the 12 hour precip output (GFS) for the region for the 12 hour period before midnight for the last four model runs I am seeing maybe 0.25 to 0.5 inches.  Wouldn't some of that be wasted while overcoming dry air?    

I would love for a met to comment because I can't give a forcast... but to me it looks like .15 to .35 over 12 hours.  Wouldnt that translate to light snow or flurries for many hours... no accumulation.. just wet ground.  Maybe a dusting in the dirt betwen the grass? 

Similar to what we saw like 10 times last year. 

6z runs should be deleted from the model suite

Both are rather unimpressive to say the least....not sure what to think honestly. I believe if the 12z runs come in similar or worse then we might start to see the writing...Interesting turn and week for sure!

I also have angst because this is probably our final storm of the season

These kind of statements are annoying as hell. Nobody on these boards is qualified to make a statement like that. And if you look, you probably can find 50 just like it in the last week alone, by many posters. It's getting old. Fast.

WPC having breakfast at the waffle house today

THERE IS A LOT OF COMPLEXITY WITH THIS FORECAST BECAUSE OF THE

EFFECTS OF SEVERAL RELATIVELY WEAK IMPULSES CONTRIBUTING TO

WIDESPREAD AREAS OF WINTRY PRECIPITATION IN WHICH THE

PRECIPITATION TYPE WILL NOT BE A CONSTANT FOR A GIVEN AREA.

THEREFORE...A LARGE REGION OF THE NATION WILL BE AFFECTED BY

SEVERAL MODES OF WINTER...WHETHER IT BE SNOW...SLEET OR FREEZING

RAIN OR A COMBINATION OF SOME OR ALL...THAT MAY CHANGE OVER TIME.

ALL OF THESE MECHANISMS AND WHERE THEY OCCUR CANNOT BE DISCUSSED

IN A DISCUSSION SUCH AS THIS. THE ACCOMPANYING GRAPHICS AT LEAST

PAINTS AN IDEA OF WHERE THE MOST SIGNIFICANT SNOW AND ICING IS

EXPECTED TO OCCUR.

No discussing stuff in a discussion

It seems like the runs have been cyclical, as others have said. Instead of looking at individual runs, it makes sense to me to look at the trends of the cycles. These cycles seem to have trended colder,drier initially but a more drawn out period of precipitation. I hope that I am not stating the obvious just trying not to panic about the 6z models.

Archived