• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter

metalicwx366

So you guys are about to create a thread for a storm 7-8 days out with borderline 2m temperatures? Wait let me guess, the models are underestimating the cold? If models do trend a little colder, then some of yall are in trouble.

Do I sound jealous?

Yes, you do sound jealous, but when this winter is over, you might be glad you are down there.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something similar happened with the Nov. of 11/24/1971 event. RDU had mainly rain while major ZR fell in Charlotte, Greenville, and much of N GA down to the northern burbs of Atlanta.

I will gladly give Brick all my zrain in perpetuity in exchange for 3/4's of his sleet for 15 years :)

Well, Michelle is passing the buck, so it's the wild west in here, lol.  Yee Ha!

Ok, MetalBoy beware of Tony's Super Huge Big Winter Storm Thread, coming to a city near you....as long as you are from Macon up, lol. 

Yeah, we had about 2.5" of snow, 1" of sleet, and 0.5" of freezing rain here IMBY.  We lost power for a week.

That was the best sledding weather ever, though.  A bit of snow, then a lot of sleet and freezing rain on top was just awesome.  I think we missed school for at least a week, too.  The roads were hard-packed ice for days!  Being a kid at the time, I didn't mind losing power too much (not so much now, though!). :D

That, to me is a real storm.  I'd trade you one of these for 3 ten inch snow storms you can't sled on and are gone tomorrow, lol.

I will gladly give Brick all my zrain in perpetuity in exchange for 3/4's of his sleet for 15 years :)

Well, Michelle is passing the buck, so it's the wild west in here, lol.  Yee Ha!

Ok, MetalBoy beware of Tony's Super Huge Big Winter Storm Thread, coming to a city near you....as long as you are from Macon up, lol. 

Bring it home sleet-man. Start the thread already!

It was awesome. We had no power for 8 days

Same here. 100 % outage in my county, unforgettable. Temps hovered around the 22-23 mark while a inch plus of rain fell after the brief shot of snow/sleet whitened up the ground. Never seen timber take a beaten like that storm. This upcoming event being modeled consistently for a couple days now has the same feel that storm did in that you will have CAA from the get go being supplied by a 1030+Arctic HP in the best spot possible. When you get CAD events that loose the CAA before or as the event unfolds it's a whole different ballgame then one that keeps the CAA going the entire time.

All right, I give up!  I'm just going to blame Michelle for allowing unfettered Wilkesying, lol.  Anyway, I'm so confused at how the mountains upon which the cold banks, and which produces the wonderful cad winds, is killing us, lol. 

Yep.  Can't have the damn damming without the damn dam, damn it.

It was awesome. We had no power for 8 days

It was definitely quite a storm.  I could do without some of the destruction it caused, but I'd still like to experience a storm like that again.

So you guys are about to create a thread for a storm 7-8 days out with borderline 2m temperatures? Wait let me guess, the models are underestimating the cold? If models do trend a little colder, then some of yall are in trouble.

Do I sound jealous?

Yes, you do sound jealous. :)

That, to me is a real storm.  I'd trade you one of these for 3 ten inch snow storms you can't sled on and are gone tomorrow, lol.

It was an amazing storm.  While I was young then, I can remember that storm much more vividly than I remember the January 2002 (8-10") storm, for example.  It was amazing with all the various P-types and everything! :)

One nice thing is that we had a generator, so while everyone else sat around freezing, we were able to watch a single TV (the cable never went out, IIRC), have the heat on in one part of the house, have a few lights on, have the refrigerator on, etc. :)

The 2002 (?) event a few days after thanksgiving was modeled pretty far out, if I recall!!? I wasn't on boards or forums, but I remember my 5 or 7 day local forecast from local on 8s had it right from the first time it showed up as the last day. It had wintry mix , and they never changed it as it got closer. Also , it's been brought up about the warm day or two ahead of this new threat. It was in the 60s the day before the above mentioned event!

I feel like I could say that about many of the significant snow/ice storms I've experienced here.  It's pretty amazing how that works in the Southeast.  Specifically, the March 2009 storm, December 2009 storm, and the January 2010 storm all had temperatures well into the 50s and/or 60s during the days leading up to the storm (or even the day prior in some cases).  Perhaps the same was true for the Christmas/Boxing Day Storm, but I don't quite remember right now.

It was pretty warm before the Jan 2000 snows, too. I guess it's the rubber band snapping back from one extreme to the next.

Wilkesboro dud sighting?? Oh lawdy. Must be all these birdies cleaning my bradford pears and the healed skies that paved the way for "the one" to return.

Edit.....had to switch back to the 2002 storm thread and realized there were some older posts in there. For a minute there I was kind of spooked! Just the memory of 2012 banter will stand the hair up on your neck. Think I will go burn some incense and chant for a while to expel evil spirits.

It was definitely quite a storm.  I could do without some of the destruction it caused, but I'd still like to experience a storm like that again.

Yes, you do sound jealous. :)

It was an amazing storm.  While I was young then, I can remember that storm much more vividly than I remember the January 2002 (8-10") storm, for example.  It was amazing with all the various P-types and everything! :)

One nice thing is that we had a generator, so while everyone else sat around freezing, we were able to watch a single TV (the cable never went out, IIRC), have the heat on in one part of the house, have a few lights on, have the refrigerator on, etc. :)

Yep, I learned that lesson, and got a generator...and have never had to use it, lol.  I think that damn generator has screwed me for anything winter weather wise since.  But I'm due a big ice storm, much as I hate it, and a huge, big sleet storm which I await with failing patience :)

And don't lose that kid in you.  Go sled every storm that comes down the pike.  Like Zonker said once, when he was supposed to be in finals, but was out sledding, " life has it's priorities", :)  T

Liking the potential for this weekend and into Monday. Overrunning setup into 1040mb arctic high. I think at least the usual favored CAD regions are in line for something unless things change. Been updating somewhat regularly on this @RaleighWx on twitter for those who are interested.

I tend to wonder if the more coarse GFS/ECMWF (compared to the higher resolution models) are going to erode the low level cold air away too quickly.

You can see the depth of the cold on this Crossville TN, to Nags Head, NC vertical cross section from the 6z GFS at hour 156.

post-25-0-14748000-1385995557_thumb.gif

From Memphis AFD:

http://www.daculaweather.com/4_afd_meg.php

THE ECMWF AND GFS BOTH SHOW THE FIRST
WAVE OF PRECIPITATION THURSDAY INTO THURSDAY NIGHT AND AGAIN ON
FRIDAY. AS A RESULT CONFIDENCE IS ABOVE AVERAGE. THE ECMWF HAS
ABOUT ONE HALF INCH OF QPF ACROSS MEMPHIS THAT WOULD BE FREEZING
RAIN AND SOME SLEET ON FRIDAY. MEANWHILE THE GFS 1.5 INCHES OF
LIQUID OVER A POTENTIALLY SUB FREEZING SURFACE. PRECIP WILL TAPER
OFF FRIDAY EVENING WITH PERHAPS SOME WINTER WEATHER MOVING INTO
NORTHEAST MISSISSIPPI BEFORE IT ENDS.

WENT MUCH COLDER THAN MEX GUIDANCE FRIDAY AND FRIDAY NIGHT.

HERE IS WHAT WE KNOW...THERE IS A VERY COLD AIRMASS HEADED OUR WAY
AND THERE IS A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF PRECIP POSSIBLE THURSDAY NIGHT
INTO FRIDAY. AS A RESULT SOME AREAS OF THE MIDSOUTH ARE LIKELY TO
SEE A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF WINTER WEATHER INCLUDING FREEZING
RAIN...SLEET AND PERHAPS A LITTLE SNOW TO WRAP IT UP.

Let's wait a few more model runs before we start slitting each other's wrists, okay? We are a week out. It could trend one way today and a whole different way tomorrow.

This is reason #1 why this thread was started way too early, but that's just one man's opinion.

Yes, but verbatim Euro has RDU 33-34F. GSO and INT are crippling ice storm.

Brick - we would rather be a cold rain than several days without power right before Xmas.

Yeah.  Just imagine if Bethlehem had lost power just as Mary and Joseph reached town.  No Christmas.

Archived