joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter

metalicwx366

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol you guys know the thread was created too early. Now when one model shows BS, you guys agree it was created too early. Maybe I wasn't jealous when I said that yesterday.

What difference does it make? The same conversation would be going on in the December pattern discussion thread, except that it would overshadow all of the actual LR December discussion going on. I don't understand the point of having regional subforums if they aren't going to be used.

Is the euro model now being supported with the Americanwx model package?  I typically use SV for models but will possibly switch if I can get the euro here.

The lack of a better Euro suite has been holding me back as well. And to show my ignorance, what is SV? I tried some Googling there, but I'm guessing that's short for something I'm not seeing...

Thanks in advance.

The lack of a better Euro suite has been holding me back as well. And to show my ignorance, what is SV? I tried some Googling there, but I'm guessing that's short for something I'm not seeing...

Thanks in advance.

SV = StormVista. I believe a group of folks broke away from EasternWx a few years back and started SV. They have a suite of model products and resources. They also used to have a weather forum, but that no longer exists to my knowledge.

What difference does it make? The same conversation would be going on in the December pattern discussion thread, except that it would overshadow all of the actual LR December discussion going on. I don't understand the point of having regional subforums if they aren't going to be used.

Haha true. Never thought of it like that. Only problem is people will complain when the storm is a dud.

I  have always said this winter will be like or close too  2002 so far so good it's my winter analog an am sticking too it. the se ridge has only come into play only too get beat down bye cold. it's going too be interesting too see the new qbo numbers .

Today I told a patient that it was going to snow or "ice" next weekend. He wanted to place a bet with me so bad. Thanks to reading your posts over the past year and a half (possibly longer), I knew better. Not to mention, I'd probably get fired if my boss found out I was placing bets with patients.

I'd be patient on this one, as far as writing it off or jumping on the train. However, the nature of the HP is arctic and the setup is pretty much ideal, CAD wise. I would be surprised if at least western NC didn't get a sig ice/sleet/snow chance out of this. It certainly has potential to trend much colder. I have reservations about the SLP reaching the great lakes like the euro is showing at 168. That feature alone is causing the model physics to erode the cold air damming too quickly. A more traditional miller b SLP track into TN with redevelopment off of the coast ( or something simliar) seems more likely if the HP is aligned as the models currently prog. This might be a candidate to head back home to hickory this weekend if it looks like they will get slammed. We shall see. I'm kind of excited for this one. It's been since the 10-11 winter I could say that.

Come home for getting slammed with ice or snow?

Our man lives in the sunshine state now. This is a guarantee that the foothills will get nailed this season ! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow!  Had no idea he'd moved down South, but I guess I have no reason to have known that.  His location still shows Shelby, though.

This pretty much guarantees Oconee and a small portion of NC don't have to worry about any frzn precip! As that dam nose always sets up camp here. Problem for me is we will be coming home from Charlotte Sunday after the account championship game. May have to watch it close.

I'd hate for you to make that long drive for nothing, oconeexman, when you don't get to even witness your Seminoles winning the game!  :P

**** Black Friday. I took Bevo advice and didn't go. Cyber Monday is nearly the same thing except it's online. The deals are just as great and you don't have to deal with that chaos. A 60inch plasma TV for $698 is a great deal and hundreds of other stuff online.

:thumbsup:   Now take it one step further and only buy from a small business  ;)   

seems as if all we get is bad luck

You really don't want a devastating ice storm do you?  I understand the fascination with severe ice events.. and while they have happened in the deep deep south... most who have seen the big ones would do anything they could to avoid 1 inch+ of ZR.  I've never seen one myself personally, and from what I've heard I don't want to.  I live in a 200 yr old house.. I have huge trees close to it.. massive limbs as big as almost all trees you see in neighborhoods these days... it just seems like a bad idea to want it. ;/

You really don't want a devastating ice storm do you?  I understand the fascination with severe ice events.. and while they have happened in the deep deep south... most who have seen the big ones would do anything they could to avoid 1 inch+ of ZR.  I've never seen one myself personally, and from what I've heard I don't want to.  I live in a 200 yr old house.. I have huge trees close to it.. massive limbs as big as almost all trees you see in neighborhoods these days... it just seems like a bad idea to want it. ;/

i love ice storms! Everything for miles pitch black no cars no lights no worries.  Personally i could care less about power for aweek or so. bring it

I recall being in bad one in 1979, if my memory serves me correctly.  We've had a few other mini-ice storms, but nothing compared to the one when I was a child.  I was 6 years old and thought it was cool. 

Oh!  You should remember the ice storm back in January of 2004.  That one was quite rough, as well.  I had quite a few co-workers who lost power for 2 or 3 days.

I don't mind a little ice, but I'm not a fan of something similar to '79. 

The ice we had during the early-January winter storm of '88 was also cool.  It started off as freezing rain/sleet, then snow, and then a bit more ice, afterwards.  It actually wasn't too bad.  Those are the kinds that I don't particularly mind, either.

I recall being in one in 1979, if my memory serves me correctly.  We've had a few other mini-ice storms, but nothing compared to the one when I was a child.  I was 6 years old and thought it was cool. 

Oh!  You should remember the ice storm back in January of 2004.  That one was quite rough, as well.  I had quite a few co-workers who lost power for 2 or 3 days.

Luckily, we didn't lose power here and actually; it was pretty easy to get around man.  We lucked out imby on that one.  It did break a pine tree limb though.. tree is ugly now.

I have 8 100yr old pines 10ft from the house .. Ever see a pine explode in a ice storm? Not pretty!

They have been there for a hundred years. What makes you think they will just magically explode now? They went through the Carolina Crusher, December 2002, and the 1993 superstore. Also hurricane Isabel and Floyd.

Archived