joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter

metalicwx366

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two threads...count 'em...two threads.  Actually, it's Larry's fault for starting all three a while back, and now the kiddies are all run amok again.  I was waiting 15 minutes so as to not appear unseemly, but as they say, "you move you lose"....hmmm... or maybe it's " you don't move you lose. Oh, well Metal Boy, I'm going to start Tony's Humongous Winter Storm of the Eons thread, and you won't be able to stop me, because you won't know when it is!!  So there!!!

Two threads...count 'em...two threads.  Actually, it's Larry's fault for starting all three a while back, and now the kiddies are all run amok again.  I was waiting 15 minutes so as to not appear unseemly, but as they say, "you move you lose"....hmmm... or maybe it's " you don't move you lose. Oh, well Metal Boy, I'm going to start Tony's Humongous Winter Storm of the Eons thread, and you won't be able to stop me, because you won't know when it is!!  So there!!!

T,

Lol! Actually, It was wx n of atl's fault. He did three for Sep. and I hadn't started one thread since April. For some reason, I got the Wilkes in me and did the three for Oct. At least they were the three standard monthly threads. Also, it is a huge responsibility to start a monthlong thread Then again, two wrongs don't make a right. So, I'm guilty of Wilkesing and apologize. Also, three wrongs don't make a right. So, MetalMan is guilty, too, though it was only two and he waited a very long time to start them. But give the guy time to apologize.

We seriously have people complaining about things being 10 days away...both of the recent "10 day projections" actually produced in the south. What is the problem? So far, the warmth has been more phantom than fact.  Relax, don't do it...

I'm starting to feel that my own warm winter prog is in jeopardy.  Kudos metalicwx - way to start the thread right.  Besides, you don't affect the weather any more than the President affects anything other than traffic. OH YES I DID! (I seriously could not care less about politics, so...you know...no response necessary)

:tomato: <----- and I still don't know when to use this either.

Anybody else tired of seeing Texas and Oklahoma get pounded by winter storms year after year.  It seems like the past 3 or 4 years they get everything and all we get is the old SE ridge.

I actually don't recall much of the SE ridge - particularly over the last winter and a half.

Anybody else tired of seeing Texas and Oklahoma get pounded by winter storms year after year.  It seems like the past 3 or 4 years they get everything and all we get is the old SE ridge.

Or places further south like Alabama, Arkansas, Mississippi, and Louisiana get more snow than central NC. The mountains kill us here, but you'd think it would be a little easier to get something to form off the coast and bomb.

T,

Lol! Actually, It was wx n of atl's fault. He did three for Sep. and I hadn't started one thread since April. For some reason, I got the Wilkes in me and did the three for Oct. At least they were the three standard monthly threads. Also, it is a huge responsibility to start a monthlong thread Then again, two wrongs don't make a right. So, I'm guilty of Wilkesing and apologize. Also, three wrongs don't make a right. So, MetalMan is guilty, too, though it was only two and he waited a very long time to start them. But give the guy time to apologize.

One of my English Professors (probably dead by now) always said, "don't use any word if you aren't prepared to give an immediate definition" Well, here's your chance to give us your definition of Wilkesing without using the word Jonesing..... Go ahead give it a shot. This ought to be good...

One of my English Professors (probably dead by now) always said, "don't use any word if you aren't prepared to give an immediate definition" Well, here's your chance to give us your definition of Wilkesing without using the word Jonesing..... Go ahead give it a shot. This ought to be good...

Wilkesing: starting weather threads with reckless abandon

Then again, maybe I was too harsh on myself in saying I was Wilkesing since the three Oct. threads I started were standard monthly threads that needed to be there whereas Wilkes would start threads on all sorts of weather items even if they didn't call for their own threads. So, I've decided to make a revision and call my three thread creation for Oct. "pseudo-Wilkesing". I had the Wilkes spirit/energy but it went to a better cause. MetalMan just did a less harsh version of pseudo-Wilkesing in creating the two Dec. threads and he did them extremely late, too!

Wilkesing:(adj) unnatural fear of birds due to them roosting in his yard. The inability to not start all threads, all the time. Unable to stop posting high- wind warnings from Oregon. Starting threads 2 weeks before the month arrives. (V) hijacking threads with dumb stories about every new store/ restaurant opening in Wilkesboro . Ex . I am wilkesing to start the Jan obs thread about healing skies!

Wilkesing:(adj) unnatural fear of birds due to them roosting in his yard. The inability to not start all threads, all the time. Unable to stop posting high- wind warnings from Oregon. Starting threads 2 weeks before the month arrives. (V) hijacking threads with dumb stories about every new store/ restaurant opening in Wilkesboro . Ex . I am wilkesing to start the Jan obs thread about healing skies!

Now that's a good definition......Just about sums it up.

All right, I give up! I'm just going to blame Michelle for allowing unfettered Wilkesying, lol. Anyway, I'm so confused at how the mountains upon which the cold banks, and which produces the wonderful cad winds, is killing us, lol. Bricks area generally does ok in most damming events, but, I have seen a few times in my life where the GSP area and NGA get the cold locked in just right and get sleet/ freezing rain , while RDU are was in the 40s

All right, I give up! I'm just going to blame Michelle for allowing unfettered Wilkesying, lol. Anyway, I'm so confused at how the mountains upon which the cold banks, and which produces the wonderful cad winds, is killing us, lol. Bricks area generally does ok in most damming events, but, I have seen a few times in my life where the GSP area and NGA get the cold locked in just right and get sleet/ freezing rain , while RDU are was in the 40s

Something similar happened with the Nov. of 11/24/1971 event. RDU had mainly rain while major ZR fell in Charlotte, Greenville, and much of N GA down to the northern burbs of Atlanta.

Got to do some shooting over Thanksgiving. Shot lots of different guns, but the most fun to shoot was a Savage 93, 17 caliber bolt action rifle. Our family took turns shooting at a target 96 yards away with it. All shots at that distance were pretty impressive. I actually hit the bullseye. If you need a great varmint gun......this one is it! Very cost effective and very accurate.y6uzurym.jpg

Sorry, needed a weather break.....lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 2002 (?) event a few days after thanksgiving was modeled pretty far out, if I recall!!? I wasn't on boards or forums, but I remember my 5 or 7 day local forecast from local on 8s had it right from the first time it showed up as the last day. It had wintry mix , and they never changed it as it got closer. Also , it's been brought up about the warm day or two ahead of this new threat. It was in the 60s the day before the above mentioned event!

The 2002 (?) event a few days after thanksgiving was modeled pretty far out, if I recall!!? I wasn't on boards or forums, but I remember my 5 or 7 day local forecast from local on 8s had it right from the first time it showed up as the last day. It had wintry mix , and they never changed it as it got closer. Also , it's been brought up about the warm day or two ahead of this new threat. It was in the 60s the day before the above mentioned event!

Yep... Dec 4th and 5th 2002. Worst ice storm that I have ever seen here. The front end was snow (couple of inches), but due to the low dew points, that only served to lower the temps into the mid 20's before the changeover to rain. Snow falling is the ideal way to achieve maximum evaporative cooling. It's much better than rain. As they say, the rest is history. A week without power and cooking on the grill is something I don't want again. Give me snow anytime.

I feel like I could say that about many of the significant snow/ice storms I've experienced here.  It's pretty amazing how that works in the Southeast.  Specifically, the March 2009 storm, December 2009 storm, and the January 2010 storm all had temperatures well into the 50s and/or 60s during the days leading up to the storm (or even the day prior in some cases).  Perhaps the same was true for the Christmas/Boxing Day Storm, but I don't quite remember right now.

Yep... Dec 4th and 5th 2002. Worst ice storm that I have ever seen here. The front end was snow (couple of inches), but due to the low dew points, that only served to lower the temps into the mid 20's before the changeover to rain. Snow falling is the ideal way to achieve maximum evaporative cooling. It's much better than rain. As they say, the rest is history. A week without power and cooking on the grill is something I don't want again. Give me snow anytime.

Yeah, we had about 2.5" of snow, 1" of sleet, and 0.5" of freezing rain here IMBY.  We lost power for a week.

That was the best sledding weather ever, though.  A bit of snow, then a lot of sleet and freezing rain on top was just awesome.  I think we missed school for at least a week, too.  The roads were hard-packed ice for days!  Being a kid at the time, I didn't mind losing power too much (not so much now, though!). :D

Yeah, we had about 2.5" of snow, 1" of sleet, and 0.5" of freezing rain here IMBY. We lost power for a week.

That was the best sledding weather ever, though. A bit of snow, then a lot of sleet and freezing rain on top was just awesome. I think we missed school for at least a week, too. The roads were hard-packed ice for days! Being a kid at the time, I didn't mind losing power too much (not so much now, though!). :D

It was awesome. We had no power for 8 days

Archived