Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Winter 2013-14 Pattern Discussion

CAD_Wedge_NC

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think everyone's curled up in the fetal position after seeing the long range on today's 12z Euro.  :pimp:  It looked a little torchy.

Edit:  Not really torchy...just warmer than most would like it.

I haven't read back this thread but the weeklies were warm for the 2nd half of Dec. So it looks like we get a nice 5 week break.

Just in time for winter, our favorite wintertime pattern sets in on the 240 Euro: A robustly -PNA, a nice +NAO, and a world class SE ridge. The only thing missing is the famous GOA vortex, although there is troughing there. But almost perfect! :)

Yep ENS support too, lovely SE ridge :-)

Just in time for winter, our favorite wintertime pattern sets in on the 240 Euro: A robustly -PNA, a nice +NAO, and a world class SE ridge. The only thing missing is the famous GOA vortex, although there is troughing there. But almost perfect! :)

:sizzle:  :frostymelt:  :grinch:  :angry:

It still looks like it could be icy in Ohio/Kentucky and the TN valley  ;) 

Say it isn't so!! It reads like the Accuweather Winter Forecast. :-(

Winter forecasting is tough and many years the first 10 days of December will set the major pattern.

Give me a front loaded winter anytime so the ground will stay snow covered. Once the sun starts its dirty work after the end of January, snow accumulation is tougher to keep around.

Hoping for a December 2009 repeat of a solid pre Christmas snow this year.

Say it isn't so!! It reads like the Accuweather Winter Forecast. :-(

Winter forecasting is tough and many years the first 10 days of December will set the major pattern.

Give me a front loaded winter anytime so the ground will stay snow covered. Once the sun starts its dirty work after the end of January, snow accumulation is tougher to keep around.

Hoping for a December 2009 repeat of a solid pre Christmas snow this year.

You guys know the models flip and flop. Many forecasters still believe big winter including wxsouth. So I'm not concerned

Yep.  We need to give it a couple of days before we get worried.  I remember back in late October the models started showing a warm November and then backed away.  We all know how that ended up.  Who knows this time.  It would be good to see the 00z suite revert back to what it had been showing a couple of days ago.

TW

Yes it is.  The ridge off the west coast is much higher up into Alaska vs 12z.  also the cold is further south and east than at 12z.

TW

Major to historic Carolina snowstorm (mainly NC and N SC) 12/8-9 on 0Z gfs fwiw per clown. Heaviest 8-12" Charlotte to Brick's place.

I am on the cold train......... Until I see the EPO go positive, I am sticking to my guns. Models have been very un-reliable at that range and I think the Euro is showing its' bias of holding the energy back. If you watch each run past 180h, it will drive you insane.

Could not agree more. We are in a volatile time with the models and have been for some time. Way to early to punt any month or winter in that case.

Yes it was a great and exciting read, but he posted this about an hour before the 12z euro torch and southeast ridge run and i can't find a peep out of him since. I was at least hoping to see him post something about it being a bogus run.

TW

He commented on it through FB, saying he thought wintry precip "more likely" for Richmond Dec 9-11......

I think 0z looks good through truncation tonight. BIG high coming down and some serious low level cold coming with it. Flow out of southwest. Pretty consistent with the overall setup we have been seeing modeled recently. we just need to find a way to branch a high for CAD for you guys on the east side of the mountains.... Ice setup still very much in play down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am on the cold train......... Until I see the EPO go positive, I am sticking to my guns. Models have been very un-reliable at that range and I think the Euro is showing its' bias of holding the energy back. If you watch each run past 180h, it will drive you insane.

One thing about Goofy is it's been bringing down the highs, and we have ended up with a pretty cold Nov. in a lot of places, and it picked out a gulf low, which has been a rare thing, and it did drop some over an inch rains, even here in the cursed lands, lol.  I don't discount those highs it shows, nor the gulf moisture, out of hand.

Yep. We need to give it a couple of days before we get worried. I remember back in late October the models started showing a warm November and then backed away. We all know how that ended up. Who knows this time. It would be good to see the 00z suite revert back to what it had been showing a couple of days ago.

TW

We did have a warm start to November. The intense cold outbreaks we have seen this month have wiped out most of the positive departures and most will end the month below average with the exception being Waycross and everyone below here(Florida).

We may have already had our coldest weather the winter of 2013-2014 has to offer our area. I just hope it doesn't turn too dry.

No way man.  I think winter hasn't started yet and we've had two bonus storms and is still fall.  

From what I keep reading around Dec. 10 time frame is something to watch.   :snowing:

We may have already had our coldest weather the winter of 2013-2014 has to offer our area. I just hope it doesn't turn too dry.

That's a bold statement. What are you basing that on?..... I would give it a 5% chance of verifying and that's being generous. It would be rare to get the coldest temps of the winter in November... It could have happened here in 1950. I will have to check, but again, it's rare.

Archived