Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter 2013-14 Pattern Discussion

CAD_Wedge_NC

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I generate them at my place with a custom script.  What is your lon/latitude for your house, and ill generate one for ya.  You can get it for you back yard from the following site:

http://stevemorse.org/jcal/latlon.php

Thanks, I sure do appreciate it.

35.6831° N, 82.0058° W

Thanks, I sure do appreciate it.

Hell, the generated map for those coordinates looks the exact same.  I may have a grid issue (since I let the script determine the closest grid to the lat/lon coordinants).  Wondering if it's selecting the same grid for your area as an error.  I'll work with it later on.  Sorry about that.

My area defaults to -81.5 LON and 34N.    Depending on where the grids are... it might not be an error even.. Ill try to run atlanta.

yes, atlantas map looks much different than the lexington one.  so the grid is the same for both of us. :(  maybe i can try the lon lat for the biggest city to ya.  you can also check out the site: http://coolwx.com  If a location isn't close to you there, I can ask Robert Hart to add your area to his station list.

also, can you go back to that original lon/lat site you used.. and give me the # from google under the first column?  Not the ones that have the degree symbols.

Hell, the generated map for those coordinates looks the exact same.  I may have a grid issue (since I let the script determine the closest grid to the lat/lon coordinants).  Wondering if it's selecting the same grid for your area as an error.  I'll work with it later on.  Sorry about that.

My area defaults to -81.5 LON and 34N.    Depending on where the grids are... it might not be an error even.. Ill try to run atlanta.

That's no problem, I just really liked the look of the graph, really easy to read.  Thanks for your time.  Enjoy Thanksgiving!

Euro shows a cutter for next weekend. Makes sense given the upper air pattern, not sure if there was any cad

or not.

The maps I'm using show a system trying to organize at the end/mouisture in the SE.. and one map shows 32F close by the precip at the lower TN border.. but it doesn't match up with the 500mb maps.. or something.. there's a 1034 high overhead.. during this.. but 850s are super warm.. not sure wth im looking at.

Edit: I see that 35/32F set of lines is 2m.

The storm for late week/next weekend is a big Midwest low on the 18z gfs. Storms taking a track to our west will be the common theme until we get a big arctic high to our north or high latitude blocking. With the deep trough in the west the heights rise too quickly and we get a storm well to our west.

The storm for late week/next weekend is a big Midwest low on the 18z gfs. Storms taking a track to our west will be the common theme until we get a big arctic high to our north or high latitude blocking. With the deep trough in the west the heights rise too quickly and we get a storm well to our west.

Agree 100% cutters till late in the month, when we might get the cold air east of the Apps.

But there are many positives to take away from the past couple weeks.

A. The pacific has really been great, with the -epo/+PNA, I believe this will continue throughout the winter. SST's support that as many have mentioned.

B. The southern stream has reappeared after a general lack of activity this fall.

I think once we get through the first two weeks of December hopefully we get the PNA ridging back over the west coast and we'll have a good shot at a winter storm if the transport of cold air is like it has been the past couple weeks. To really make things easier for a major snowstorm we need a west based block, and a spike to negative with the AO

Can we assume ice on the south side of each of these storms?

TW

The safe assumption would be to that the GFS is too suppressed with these systems and that come verification, there will be a nice rain for most, unfortunately. Parts of TN and the mountains may do ok.

Right. :thumbsup:  :lol:

The safest thing to assume right now is nothing at all!  

Like the saying goes when you assume something ya make an @s* out of you and me.

But realistically it looks like

No major warmup

Storminess and cold ahead over the extended period--could be alot quicker.

Really the most logic thing to do is watch. The is a pattern setting up in the immediate short range.

Devastating Ice storm for mby, NC, all over the SE.. even GA most likely.. 850s too warm, 2ms way too cold. 1044MB pushing down into NC, strong 1048 above that.. 1040 into KCAE..  If this happens, I'm leaving town for a while until the mess is cleaned up.  3 runs I looked at today with this thing.. just worse now.

Like if this came to happen, it would be like armageddon down here in the SE for many of us.  Over 1.5 inches of QPF in mby alone as ZR.

EDIT:  THANKfully its too far away and most likely wont happen.. but I think I'll keep an eye on it.

If u want a good ice storm then u need to the rain fall rates to be steady to light, but no heavy rains. With the last ice storm that some of us seen the thing that the models don't pick up on is the latent heat release. Usually but not always when temps start out around the 28 to 31 mark u usually switch over to plain rain will occur . Which in my opinion is the reason why here in the southeast we do get quite a bit. Of ice but at the same time we don't have more devastating ice storms. Something to watch when forecasting ice storms is the intensity of rain fall rates. No fan myself of ice.

Archived