joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential Thanksgiving Event

strongwxnc

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ATL has a really hard time getting snow in these setups because while a NW wind downslopes the hell out of them it does not downslope as severely or even at all for parts of AL/MS and obviously TN/SC.

is there a setup in which Atlanta DOESNT have a hard time getting snow ? Let's face it. Atlanta is just in a very bad location for snow. Even cities further south in latitude have an easier time getting snow. So it's not just that Atlanta is too far south for snow. Atlanta is just cursed.

BMXs update is not too optimistic, while I'm still showing <1" per point and click. Two offices, to different forecasts with probably very valid reasoning. Minor event even by southern standards, but it's helpful to take look at neighboring forecast offices' opinions in situations like this where it's a tricky forecast IMO. Either way looks like a lot of us will see snow falling--rare for November!

Hey, man, good to see ya!!  You home for the hollydaze?  Hope you'll be here at the end of Dec. 'cause CR is talking about bringing home the real deal :)

I'm watching those temps back under the feature, and in Ala. with interest.  Waiting to see where this thing looks to cross into Ga.  These are always fun, but a suckers bet, lol.  I'm really more interested in the big winds tomorrow.  40 or 45 is something I haven't seen in many a year, and I like me some big breezes.  I've got a bunch of beetle killed huge pines that have been needing an ice storm, or a huge, big wind gust, to go ahead and get them down on the fence, so I can get on with fixing it :)  Tony

is there a setup in which Atlanta DOESNT have a hard time getting snow ? Let's face it. Atlanta is just in a very bad location for snow. Even cities further south in latitude have an easier time getting snow. So it's not just that Atlanta is too far south for snow. Atlanta is just cursed.

Big polar highs moving down, getting entrenched, and a cut off upper level back in the Baha spitting out features into the stream, lol.  Then the only deal is the wait...the interminable waiting  for it to come out :)  T

Gulf lows and the rare ULL, but even these days, gulf lows seem to rarely happen when it's cold enough.

Like normal, I think temps here in my backyard , will be an issue. I have high hopes of just seeing a few flakes fly, but temp is up 2 degrees to 47 in the past hour. I would hate to get the deformation band overhead and have it be rain! Very generous rainfall, but a skunk on winter precip, I hope not.

This is looking like a mid morning or noon thing for the upstate. But looking at radar it looks like a pretty good band of snow may setup along the I85 corridor! I wouldn't be surprised places north and west of that line to see.5" but we shall see.

. I hope not ! Those warm ground temps and high sun angle will decimate that 1/2 inch! LOL

is there a setup which Atlanta DOESNT have a hard time getting snow ? Let's face it. Atlanta is just in a very bad location for snow. Even cities further south in latitude have an easier time getting snow. So it's not just that Atlanta is too far south for snow. Atlanta is just cursed.

At the risk of getting way off topic, I disagree. We don't get huge storms like the carolinas do from Atlantic lows and the city and points eastward get screwed in this kinda event...but we do have a bit of elevation and are at the southwestern extent of the CAD area. When things work out (Jan 2011 for the north metro) it's pretty awesome.

Anyway, sitting at 44here and slowly dropping. Don't see any official snow reports in AL yet and temperatures are struggling to drop much at the moment.

This alert was generated by the National Weather Service
EMWIN (Emergency Managers Weather Information Network)
from messages received by DaculaWeather.com EMWIN server.
WWUS82 KFFC 271020
SPSFFC

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA
520 AM EST WED NOV 27 2013

GAZ020>025-027-030>037-041>049-052>058-066>068-070-272230-
BARTOW-CHEROKEE-FORSYTH-HALL-BANKS-JACKSON-MADISON-POLK-PAULDING-
COBB-NORTH FULTON-GWINNETT-BARROW-CLARKE-OCONEE-HARALSON-CARROLL-
DOUGLAS-SOUTH FULTON-DEKALB-ROCKDALE-WALTON-NEWTON-MORGAN-HEARD-
COWETA-FAYETTE-CLAYTON-SPALDING-HENRY-BUTTS-TROUP-MERIWETHER-PIKE-
LAMAR-
520 AM EST WED NOV 27 2013

...LIGHT SNOW EXPECTED ACROSS PARTS OF NORTH AND CENTRAL GEORGIA
THIS MORNING...

AN AREA OF RAIN MOVING OVER WEST CENTRAL GEORGIA WILL CONTINUE TO
MOVE EAST THIS MORNING...SPREADING INTO EAST CENTRAL AND NORTHEAST
GEORGIA BY 10 AM. WITH TEMPERATURES FALLING INTO THE MID
30S THIS MORNING...SOME OF THE RAIN WILL BECOME MIXED WITH AND THEN
CHANGE TO SNOW BEFORE ENDING. UP TO A HALF INCH OF SNOW COULD
BRIEFLY ACCUMULATE ON GRASSY SURFACES. HOWEVER WITH TEMPERATURES
EXPECTED TO REMAIN ABOVE FREEZING...ROADS ARE NOT EXPECTED TO BECOME
ICY.

THE PRECIPITATION WILL END FROM THE WEST THIS MORNING...AND BY
NOON THE RAIN AND SNOW MIX WILL HAVE ENDED.

Well, the snow drought continues here east of Atlanta.

In spite of snow obs from areas well to my south and west such as Peachtree City and Lagrange, even with a solid band of 35DBZ returns passing right overhead, not a flake to be seen here.  850 line stuck along I85 just as modeled.  Next.

Had this in Dacula, that's ice and sleet you hear in the background... as well as crows.

Archived