• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
November Banter

buckeyefan1

LOL...In all seriousness, it's been almost 3 years now since the Boxing Day storm, which was the last event we (RDU) had over an inch of snow, is it ever going to snow again (4+"), it almost seems like it would be a miracle.

I feel the same way myself. The sad thing is I'm getting old enough now that I've lived through 3 or 4 of these 2 or 3 year snow droughts and each one feels the same (I can remember being younger and actually starting to believe it just wasn't possible to get a Miller A snowstorm ever again). The good news is that all the other ones ended, and my sources tell me this one will at some point (and I believe this winter)!

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel the same way myself. The sad thing is I'm getting old enough now that I've lived through 3 or 4 of these 2 or 3 year snow droughts and each one feels the same (I can remember being younger and actually starting to believe it just wasn't possible to get a Miller A snowstorm ever again). The good news is that all the other ones ended, and my sources tell me this one will at some point (and I believe this winter)!

I hope so. A cold winter without snow is just sad and miserable.

I hate to see an almost perfect track (for the southern apps) of a low and huge amounts of QPF go to waste b/c of a lack of blocking, but that's what is going to happen.  What we all wouldn't give to have a big banana high anchored over us and a storm coming out of the gulf like that.

The realist in me knows it's only November though, and just seeing a storm come out of the gulf is a sight for sore eyes.  I sure hope it's a sign of things to come this winter and also that the Atlantic can find a way to at least not hurt us. (or even help a little would be nice)

I've been a long reader of this forum and the previous easternwx.  Never really posted anything because there are so many experts on here who post and I don't won't to muddle up the forums with any nonsensical comments or questions.  This is weather related but didn't really want to post on the storm thread because this may be a dumb question regarding in-situ cad.

I recall in the past, situations where there wasn't a parent high for a classical cad an in-insitu cad could develop through evaporational cooling and create sort of a pseudo high pressure over the region allowing nw winds to back against the apps.  Are these type of scenarios more easily overcome through waa than the classical cad?  or can they be hard to scour out just like a classical cad?  Just interested if there could be a longer period of frozen precip than advertised at the outset if the models are underestimating the evaporational cooling due to the extremely dry air.  On the GFS the dewpoints rocket up extremely fast with only a couple degrees drop in surface temps.  Is the waa this strong in this scenario to scour the cad out that fast?

Yes, the cold air in an in-situ CAD setup is more susceptible to being scoured away, and quicker.  Yes, the models could be underplaying the cooling when the precip kicks in tonight, but they shouldn't be way off, and yes, in this setup, the waa is screaming in.

Take a look at this write-up...http://www.theweatherprediction.com/weatherpapers/030/index.html

Why is it so hard for central NC to get good snow events? Yes, it happens sometimes, but seems like it should be more of a regular occurance. I think we should be far enough north and close enough to the ocean to get more events where there is bombing off the coast. But it rarely happens when the time is right. Seems so hard to get all the factors to come together right.

I've been a long reader of this forum and the previous easternwx.  Never really posted anything because there are so many experts on here who post and I don't won't to muddle up the forums with any nonsensical comments or questions.  This is weather related but didn't really want to post on the storm thread because this may be a dumb question regarding in-situ cad.

I recall in the past, situations where there wasn't a parent high for a classical cad an in-insitu cad could develop through evaporational cooling and create sort of a pseudo high pressure over the region allowing nw winds to back against the apps.  Are these type of scenarios more easily overcome through waa than the classical cad?  or can they be hard to scour out just like a classical cad?  Just interested if there could be a longer period of frozen precip than advertised at the outset if the models are underestimating the evaporational cooling due to the extremely dry air.  On the GFS the dewpoints rocket up extremely fast with only a couple degrees drop in surface temps.  Is the waa this strong in this scenario to scour the cad out that fast?

You should muddle!  Great question, so good it should be in discussion, as being in banter doesn't give it enough respect :)

Post more!!  Glad Griteater found  your question. He's good. Tony

Why is it so hard for central NC to get good snow events? Yes, it happens sometimes, but seems like it should be more of a regular occurance. I think we should be far enough north and close enough to the ocean to get more events where there is bombing off the coast. But it rarely happens when the time is right. Seems so hard to get all the factors to come together right.

you average 6" inches of snow per year. Not 60".

Yes, I know that, and I am wondering why it is not more and so hard to get everything right here. I just think with the location it should be more. I guess that's just the way it is.

Snow is no longer in the forecast for Raleigh on Wednesday. lol!

Edit: Nevermind, you still have a chance!

http://www.wunderground.com/q/zmw:27601.1.99999

LOL...In all seriousness, it's been almost 3 years now since the Boxing Day storm, which was the last event we (RDU) had over an inch of snow, is it ever going to snow again (4+"), it almost seems like it would be a miracle.

Yes, I am really parched for snow.  I actually talked myself into not getting in to it this winter and just accepting that Charlotte doesn't get snow anymore and so I just need to let it go.  No expectations, no disappointments.  I'm still working on that. 

Yes, I know that, and I am wondering why it is not more and so hard to get everything right here. I just think with the location it should be more. I guess that's just the way it is.

You seem to be under the impression that latitude is the sole responsible party in determining where snow should or should not occur.

The fact that you live on a latitude that is technically "more north" than Mississippi is often negated by the orientation of central NC and it's surrounding topography. You should know better by now - you've been here for years, saying the same thing over and over.  It's like you just don't want to accept that getting snow often involves more than just a north/south coordinate.

Raleigh gets about the same amount of snow as Knoxville and a little more than Nashville on average, IIRC. I'm not sure what is surprising.

The good thing about averages is that they eventually catch up, so you'll get your fill eventually. Remember you had two very major snowstorms in three years back in the early 2000s (I'm specifically referring to January 2000 and January 2002).

Raleigh gets about the same amount of snow as Knoxville and a little more than Nashville on average, IIRC. I'm not sure what is surprising.

The good thing about averages is that they eventually catch up, so you'll get your fill eventually. Remember you had two very major snowstorms in three years back in the early 2000s (I'm specifically referring to January 2000 and January 2002).

Not unless the climate is changing, but let's not open up that can of worms :-)

You seem to be under the impression that latitude is the sole responsible party in determining where snow should or should not occur.

The fact that you live on a latitude that is technically "more north" than Mississippi is often negated by the orientation of central NC and it's surrounding topography. You should know better by now - you've been here for years, saying the same thing over and over.  It's like you just don't want to accept that getting snow often involves more than just a north/south coordinate.

And that is what I am searching for, the factors that don't give us more snow.

On the GFS the dewpoints rocket up extremely fast with only a couple degrees drop in surface temps.  Is the waa this strong in this scenario to scour the cad out that fast?

Part of the problem: the lowest dewpoints shown on many GFS runs for some cities were bogus. I mean it had below zero dewpoints at Atlanta for a few hours. Several runs had -5 F! Then the projected dewpoints rose fast from there. Well, there never were any dewpoints even close to -5. The lowest was +7 F.

And why do people in the southeast care what that DT dude says? He only cares about the northeast.

Thank you, CR.  My sentiments exactly.

Should I answer Brick's question?  I might as well try...

1) Because he posts about THE WEATHER and this is a weatherboard.

2) Because he is quite entertaining with all his crazy typos and tendency to fly off the handle.

3) Because he is actually quite knowledgeable, though he's sure not too shy about it.

4) Because he posts about THE WEATHER and this is a weatherboard.

5) Because he used to be quite the active poster on AmericanWx/EasternWx, so there is history.

6) Because he does offer forecasts for the northern portions of the SE.

7) Because he posts about THE WEATHER and this is a weatherboard.

8) And lastly, not everybody cares what DT has to say, as you apparently don't.  Ergo, you can ignore the post, but I wanted to give you the freedom to digest his forecast, should you have so desired.  This is an equal opportunity weatherboard where we are free to consume, share, like, hate, or do whatever else we so desire with a variety of forecasts and opinions about the weather.

Thank you, CR.  My sentiments exactly.

Should I answer Brick's question?  I might as well try...

1) Because he posts about THE WEATHER and this is a weatherboard.

2) Because he is quite entertaining with all his crazy typos and tendency to fly off the handle.

3) Because he is actually quite knowledgeable, though he's sure not too shy about it.

4) Because he posts about THE WEATHER and this is a weatherboard.

5) Because he used to be quite the active poster on AmericanWx/EasternWx, so there is history.

6) Because he does offer forecasts for the northern portions of the SE.

7) Because he posts about THE WEATHER and this is a weatherboard.

8) And lastly, not everybody cares what DT has to say, as you apparently don't.  Ergo, you can ignore the post, but I wanted to give you the freedom to digest his forecast, should you have so desired.  This is an equal opportunity weatherboard where we are free to consume, share, like, hate, or do whatever else we so desire with a variety of forecasts and opinions about the weather.

OK, but he is kind of mean.

Archived