• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
November 2013 pattern and discussion

WxJordan

18z coming in much further south and more positively tilted.  Snow breaking out in central TN (Nashville area) at hr 129.

EDIT: The northern foothills and extreme northwestern Piedmont in NC (as well as SW VA) look like almost all snow this run.

Are you looking at precip type maps?

Cause I dont see that.... 0 degree isotherm is north of KY,WV

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like an elevation dependent snow for NC mountains.  Helluva good 500mb low track, just don't have enough cold anchored in for most.  Hard to ask for much more out of your southern stream

I don't see how it can get any better, unless it slows to a crawl.  Clown maps I have show a 2-4" strip of snow through NC right down I-40 and the NC MTN have 6-8".

its just too bad its late November instead of late December. the track is perfect for western nc.

Yeah it's exciting to think what we can have if we can keep an active STJ happening along with these bouts of arctic attack through the winter.  +AO/NAO or not I'd really like our chances. 

With that said, we probably lose the STJ by the second week in Dec. :violin: 

its just too bad its late November instead of late December. the track is perfect for western nc.

It really doesn't matter what time of the year it is. If the setup allows it to snow then it will. As soon as we get into December, someone is going to say, "too bad it's December instead of January/February".

Snow/Sleet/Freezing rain is rare for Texas and some places are about to see a 3-5 day snow/sleet/freezing rain event.

It's warmer in Abilene Texas now then here. 78 there 73 here. By later tonight they will have freezing rain.

It really doesn't matter what time of the year it is. If the setup allows it to snow then it will. As soon as we get into December, someone is going to say, "too bad it's December instead of January/February".

Snow/Sleet/Freezing rain is rare for Texas and some places are about to see a 3-5 day snow/sleet/freezing rain event.

It's warmer in Abilene Texas now then here. 78 there 73 here. By later tonight they will have freezing rain.

lol ok its.called climo, there is a reason I average more snow in December than November. ther is also a reason I average more snow in November than July.

lol ok its.called climo, there is a reason I average more snow in December than November. ther is also a reason I average more snow in November than July.

Lol climo? I guess it's normal to see 3-5 day snow/freezing rain/sleet events in Texas in November. Wintry precipitation is just as rare in Dallas as in NC. I guess climo isn't going to allow wintry precipitation there even though the models are trending colder for that area.

Guys, looking at KCLT in Bufkit is ominous... .. ZR.... prologned period.

over half an inch..

Thickness plots support ZR with a trace IP along 77 north of CLT, hard to get snow with 850-700mb thickness north of 1560m, lower levels on the other hand are cold enough for it to freeze, ether just before or when it hits the surface.

I just checked the Euro monthly run that came out today (apparently it's released sooner than I realized).  Starts off with cold shots coming in one after another, not staying long, but they are frequent.  By about Dec 11 it turns mild and stays that way.  This seems to go along with Don Sutherland's current line of thinking.

Edit:  Moisture wise, looks like a pretty juicy system around the 6th followed by another one around the 8th or 9th, then dry until the end of the run.

Lol climo? I guess it's normal to see 3-5 day snow/freezing rain/sleet events in Texas in November. Wintry precipitation is just as rare in Dallas as in NC. I guess climo isn't going to allow wintry precipitation there even though the models are trending colder for that area.

"wintry precipitation" is not rare here in the nc mtns where I live. we have ski slopes here. this.is not waycross.

Grit is right.... not seeing freezing rain with this one. Freezing rain comes from Miller B's not Miller A's. It will be either rain or snow. Soundings look suspect. I can't see 925's colder than 850's in that pattern.

Just passing along info from bufkit etc.  Not experienced enough with the dynamics and all that. :P

"wintry precipitation" is not rare here in the nc mtns where I live. we have ski slopes here. this.is not waycross.

that is so true, and many people seem to forget that.  the microclimates around NC, NE GA and SC are amazing, and if i am not mistaken some areas in western nc get a boatload more snow than many places in the mid atlantic (like 40" or more almost twice some MA places).  sugar, beech, etc. get a lot more than that even. we are about a week or so away from dec, and early dec 05 was one of the nastiest (well i thought it was pretty awesome lol) ice storm around here in ages (and almost none since then). so far this pattern, were it to maintain itself and/or repeat, could bring us some interesting weather finally. we have had a couple of bust years and i need a winter storm fix haha

. Did you mean Dallas, NC?? That's about equivalent to Waycross !! Storms that blow up off of NC or SC coast don't get it done in my neck of the woods! Moisture never makes it back this far.

Archived