northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
October 2013 Obs/Disc.

thunderman

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I reiterate my disdain for wind. Without it today is fairly nice.

I share it.  One of the (many) things I hated about weather in Texas was the wind NEVER STOPPED BLOWING.  Open your car door...wind pushes it back into your leg.  Try to talk outside...have to speak louder to be heard over the wind.  Go for a run...one half of the run is going to suck because it's into the wind.  DIE wind DIE.  

I hate wind, too, especially when it's chilly out.  I think it was the winter of 2010-2011 that was really freaking windy (or at least it seemed it).  It was fairly cold, and the wind seemingly never stopped blowing.  It sucked.

CWG giving today a 2?

looks like a 7 somehow. meh. 

i do think the "least windy" thing should be de-aggregated by season. our windless times are probably more often summer when high pressure sits over us for 12 years.  it seems like it's always windy in winter. 

looks like a 7 somehow. meh. 

i do think the "least windy" thing should be de-aggregated by season. our windless times are probably more often summer when high pressure sits over us for 12 years.  it seems like it's always windy in winter. 

Good point. A windy 98 degree day is meteorlogically impossible. 

30mph ne winds and ++SN is the shizzle though

Fairly common in the upper midwest.  Like you are standing in a blast furnace.  Really unpleasant.

I remember being in Minneapolis in June 2004, and landed there in the midst of an epic early-season heat wave.  I don't remember the exact date, but the NBA Finals were going on at the time.  I recall that agony of mid-90s with a nearly constant wind.  Unlike here, the wind didn't gust; it just blew at a near uniform temperature -- and it never stopped.  I likened it to being in a convection oven.

I remember being in Minneapolis in June 2004, and landed there in the midst of an epic early-season heat wave.  I don't remember the exact date, but the NBA Finals were going on at the time.  I recall that agony of mid-90s with a nearly constant wind.  Unlike here, the wind didn't gust; it just blew at a near uniform temperature -- and it never stopped.  I likened it to being in a convection oven.

Probably June 7th, 2004.  Two days after that was my birthday, which I spent driving back to my hometown in order to rip up my family's basement after they had been flooded by 6" of rain in 5 hours.

METAR KMSP 072153Z 19021G29KT 10SM FEW080 SCT250 35/19 A2958 RMK AO2 PK WND 19029/2145 SLP010 ACC OHD T03500189

Fairly common in the upper midwest.  Like you are standing in a blast furnace.  Really unpleasant.

no doubt that area into the plains is just windy all the time. but i did glance at wind maps after your comment... which made me thing i'd like to see one focused by season.  i guess it's natural we would have wind with cold given how we usually get cold in here.  

no doubt that area into the plains is just windy all the time. but i did glance at wind maps after your comment... which made me thing i'd like to see one focused by season.  i guess it's natural we would have wind with cold given how we usually get cold in here.  

Not a map, but it does show the seasonal aspect to the wind

http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/sites/windrose.phtml?station=DCA&network=DC_DCP

Probably June 7th, 2004.  Two days after that was my birthday, which I spent driving back to my hometown in order to rip up my family's basement after they had been flooded by 6" of rain in 5 hours.

METAR KMSP 072153Z 19021G29KT 10SM FEW080 SCT250 35/19 A2958 RMK AO2 PK WND 19029/2145 SLP010 ACC OHD T03500189

Sounds right.  I landed on Sunday evening and was in a rush to deboard and get to the hotel in time for tip-off of Game 1.

I believe it was that next day (Monday) that was the super-hot one.  95F seems to fit with my memory.  I remember being excited thinking I'd left the heat here for a week, then I get there and find it even hotter.  Fortunately, it only lasted a day or two, then we were treated with some nice upper-midwest air.

Out of the area and I'm sure the last two snowless winters are screwing with my memory, but I can't remember the last time LE Snow Warnings were posted in October off Lake Erie. Looks like some locales could get up to 10".

I thought the same thing so I did some research earlier.  October 12-13, 2006 - up to 24" fell.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/buf/storm101206.html

Archived