• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
October 2013 Observations & Discussions

Rtd208

I'm shocked, I thought all the ice was supposed to be gone by 2012? But I get it, more ice and snow equals more warmth and less ice and snow equals well more warmth...

Don't post if you will either make stuff up or don't know what you're talking about.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good god, if you have a degree in geology then let me know who I should chastise for teaching you bad paleoclimate at the next AGU! 

Actually I have a degree in geology and studied paleoclimatology. The medieval warm period, which was the warmest time period over the last 2000 years besides now still does not match the temperatures we are currently seeing globally. The temperature reconstruction was created by using a diverse set of proxies, all producing a similar result and conclusion: we are currently seeing the warmest temperatures over the last few thousand years.

Actually, Milankovitch cycles currently put us near the bottom temperature wise, yet we are far warmer than we should be.

And the temperature changes that did occur would happen over a span of several hundred years, not several decades like we have seen.

I thought the increase in Antarctic ice was explained.

I find the bolded statement a little disingenuous, because we never really discuss anything happening in the southern hemisphere in here, whether it's warm or cold.  

I was referring to the media, should have clarified. Anyone would be lying if they said the media reports on the high levels of ice in the southern hemisphere.

Growing support for strong warm spell between the 6th an 9th..  Guidance still looks overall back and froth but the warm period that looks to start around the 6th could see some very warm temps and departures.

test8.gif

I'm thinking November 1st-15th will average out above normal. This pattern in December would probably be colder given the -EPO, but there's too much resistance from the PNA / AO / NAO right now to combat the favorable AK ridging.

Looks like we see a cold shot next weekend, another warm-up, followed by another transient cold shot toward the second week of November. Not getting any signals for a major torch or very cold November; we're probably going to end up on the plus side of normal but not like October.

Theres a climate change forum, bring the denier bullsh*t over there.

This got started because people posted that this mild October and recent stretch of milder weather over the past few decades is a result of global warming and that this trend will continue or worsen. I don't see why presenting an intelligent rebuttal is denier bullsh*t. I don't recall anybody saying climate change isn't real

This got started because people posted that this mild October and recent stretch of milder weather over the past few decades is a result of global warming and that this trend will continue or worsen. I don't see why presenting an intelligent rebuttal is denier bullsh*t. I don't recall anybody saying climate change isn't real

Exactly. The weather's boring right now, and responses were needed to balance out the conversation. He only chimed in when an argument against his viewpoint was presented. And the term "denier" is heavily misused. No one's denying anything, not getting into the causes (natural vs anthropogenic). Simply presenting facts about the southern hemisphere.

Good god, if you have a degree in geology then let me know who I should chastise for teaching you bad paleoclimate at the next AGU! 

I'd be more than happy to hear why you disagree with me.

Maybe I should clarify regarding the cycles: I didn't mean to say bottom temperature wise completely because that would obviously put us in a glacial period. I meant to say we are moving toward the bottom.

Global sea ice area has been running near or slightly above normal for the majority of 2013, which is a significant improvement from the past several years.

global.daily.ice.area.withtrend.jpg

Dude, notice the wild variation during the year from the mean that seems to have begun about a decade ago?  That doesn't stand out to you?  Looks like several SDs away from mean in ice variation have been occurring lately....

The 00z GGEM and 06z GFS both support a major storm hitting the area in the day 8-9 time frame. The 00z Euro has more of a plain Jane frontal passage. I would assume that this storm signal should get muted as time goes on in accordance with just about every single event of the past 4 months. 

One glimmer of hope is that the WPAC is starting to calm down, so that should start to erode some of the model havoc that we've been experiencing.

BTW, the 00z ECMWF has lows in the 60's from I-80 south on Friday night.

We also warm up again at the end of the run after a few days of normal to slightly below normal temps early next week. Looks like mostly 50's and possibly 60's as the SE ridge pumps just enough to keep us on the warm side of the trough.

We should be able to see wind gusts from 40-50 mph ahead of the front on Friday even if we

don't get much of a low topped squall. But winds could be stronger if a low topped squall

line can get its act together. Either way, we will be raking a bunch of leaves this weekend.

Dude, notice the wild variation during the year from the mean that seems to have begun about a decade ago?  That doesn't stand out to you?  Looks like several SDs away from mean in ice variation have been occurring lately....

Yeah, it does stand out to me. It also stands out that the mid 1990s happen to be the time frame when the Atlantic transitioned into a predominately warmer natural state (last such occurrence of the warm Atlantic mode was the mid 1930s until the early 1960s. The cold phase of the Atlantic from 1965-1995 coincided well with the normal to above normal arctic sea ice. Since a large part of the Arctic is open on the north Atlantic side, the SST anomalies of the north Atlantic significantly influence the ice mechanics of the arctic.

Per the 12z GFS, rain movies in around 21z Thursday night. Heaviest rain is from 06z Friday until 18z Friday. Rain moves out by 00z Saturday. Totals around a half inch+.

so around 4pm or so?  How's the evening look for trick or treaters?  (Figures it's bone dry for a month, we get screwed out of the record and have to walk around with umbrellas Thurs eve!)

Exactly. The weather's boring right now, and responses were needed to balance out the conversation. He only chimed in when an argument against his viewpoint was presented. And the term "denier" is heavily misused. No one's denying anything, not getting into the causes (natural vs anthropogenic). Simply presenting facts about the southern hemisphere.

Nonsense, i posted it when it started taking over. Ive posted plenty of other times to take things to the appropriate forum, including those who shared my views.

are posters in this forum always so angry with each other? seems a little weird since we're all weather enthusiasts

Unfortunately yes usually. The entire site isn't very friendly but I still love it. Beautiful day if u can be in the sun. Currently 54 degrees and sunny.

After the cold shot

NYC  +3.5

EWR +3.1

JFK   +3.0

LGA  +3.0

Another above normal stretch coming October 30-November 3, so we'll close out the month near +4 in NYC. Warm Octobers haven't always meant the kiss of death for winter as we saw in October 2012 (+1.1) and October 2010 (+1.5). The magnitude of the anomaly, however, does suggest a milder than normal winter. The gradient developing with an Aleutian/Alaska ridge and strong +NAO with associated polar vortex over Greenland reminds me a lot of Winter 07-08. That year also had the abnormally mild October, finishing around +6 in Central Park, with a turn towards colder in November. Had the gradient been suppressed a little bit further south, as I am expecting this year, 07-08 would have been more like 08-09 or 71-72, both decent winters for NYC.

Heading forward, Nov 1-3 should feature a torch as the SE ridge dominates with a trough in the West (-PNA) and over Greenland (+NAO). However, the expansion of the Alaska ridge may cause a cold outbreak Nov 4-5, with the potential for moderation thereafter due to the positive state of the polar indices. There's no sign of cold afterwards: today's 12z ECM shows a very mild spell from November 5/6 on, with 850mb temperatures as high as 14C. The -PNA pattern remains in place, and a cut-off ridge appears over Alaska, which along with the +NAO leaves the PV on the other side of the pole, ranging from the Kara Sea to Siberia.

Two things we really have to watch are stratospheric temperatures and the placement of the PV. 2mb temperatures are very low right now near the North Pole, with 5mb and 10mb temperatures near normal but falling fast, indicating a strong PV and +AO regime:

post-475-0-59447700-1383081263_thumb.gif

Also, the 12z ECM suggests the polar vortex will remain on the Eurasian side of the hemisphere, limiting the potential for cold outbreaks in North America. The placement of the polar vortex in this unfavorable state has been a persistent pattern since Winter 03-04, which was the last time we saw a dominant PV on our side, bringing the extremely cold January that brought NYC into the low single digits. Today's Euro suggests a continuation of what's been the trend since 2004, with limited cold air available on this side of the Pole:

post-475-0-18395500-1383081369_thumb.gif

Great post Nate! As for winter I'm thinking warm and snowless. I'm not a expert or have as much knowledge as others, but I just get that feeling. I hate warm and late falls for our area. I often feel that's the kiss of death. I think from Bos-dca will all be snowless.

Amazing how even with that cold shot we did not even pull off a -10 or greater daily. It was def kind of muted, from what was being forecast

Archived