Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Autumn 2013 Thread

MaineJayhawk

Event totals: 2.3” Snow/0.15” L.E.

We were driving Route 100 on our way to Stowe this evening, and it was about 10 minutes before 4:00 P.M. when we first saw flakes.  We went to evening mass and then dinner, and saw just occasional light snow through that period.  By 6:30 P.M. or so when we were heading home, there was still generally a dusting around, but the snowfall was quickly picking up.  The roads were getting slick, and when we reached the top of Chutesville Hill on Route 100 along the Waterbury/Stowe line, we had to sit for over an hour due to some sort of accident or road maintenance.  That area is just shy of 1,000’ in elevation, and seems to be notorious for winter driving difficulty.  In any event, we all got window seats to that heavy snow show while we waited, and by the time traffic got moving there was easily an inch or two down.  The snow had tapered off, but when we got home around 8:00 P.M. I found 2.3 inches of snow on the snowboard, with light snow continuing.  I went inside for a while to do run my liquid analyses, check on the computer etc., and when I went back out about an hour later there was already another inch of snow on the boards I’d cleared.  It must have come down quite hard again for a while there.  Anyway, things have lightened up now, so 3.3” is where the event stands at this point.  There are still plenty of bands upstream though, so we’ll have to see if anything else of significance falls tonight.  It might have to be substantial to add to that inch though, because that latest batch of snow was pretty dry and I suspect it will settle some.

Details from the 8:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 2.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.15 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 15.3

Snow Density: 6.5% H2O

Temperature: 25.5 F

Sky: Light Snow (2-6 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 2.5 inches

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just drove from Hardwick to Barre. Close to white out in spots. 30mph or less most of the way. The camp I was at is at 1500' facing dead NW. The squall hit there like a freight train. Wind had to be gusting to 30. Looked like about 4" but truthfully, it was hard to get a good measurement. Full on winter. Glad I had the Subaru. BTW, this is the most action the NNE thread has had in quite a while.

3.2" at home and 4.8" as of 5:30am at 1,500ft.

We've probably picked up another half inch at least in the last hour, too. Its still coming down despite what radar looks like. MVL still sitting at 1sm visibility and we are under 1/2sm here at 1,500ft.

untitled.JPG

Deep winter flavor in VT. Patchy whiteness in my 'hood ... only 0.3" fell last night. Winds gusting to 30 now with 20F temps - gonna be a cold 'un!

Event totals: 4.0” Snow/0.24” L.E.

Indeed the overnight activity was substantial enough to add to the inch that was on the snowboard last night, as 1.7” was sitting on the board this morning.  The snow is certainly mid-winter dry, with these past two round coming in with 5 to 7% H2O content.  Accumulation continues with the current snowfall activity banked up against the spine:

24NOV13A.gif

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.7 inches

New Liquid: 0.09 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 18.9

Snow Density: 5.3% H2O

Temperature: 16.0 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-4 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 3.0 inches

Since I am new to the area, how often do these squall events occur in a typical winter? I would love another chance at capturing some of these snow rates. I think it will be hard to match what I saw last night though. It reminded me of the height of some KU events I have seen on Long Island.

Since I am new to the area, how often do these squall events occur in a typical winter? I would love another chance at capturing some of these snow rates. I think it will be hard to match what I saw last night though. It reminded me of the height of some KU events I have seen on Long Island.

Obviously it varies from year to year but on the whole I would say we get several of these 'arctic' fronts per winter and they always raise hell with the roads.

My guess is that you'll get another chance. :snowing:

Like Allenson said, definitely yes. I moved up here from the Boston area and these squalls can produce brief rates to rival any Noreaster. I think they are more intense. Wait until you have a daylight one and the vis goes down to under 500 feet. They happen several times a winter, especially in Vermont.

I decided to go ahead an post some poor quality video anyway (choose HD to watch). Note there is hardly and audio in this (due to water in the mic I think) but the wind was blowing at times pretty solidly:

This was not my normal camera which would have been 100x better.

Like Allenson said, definitely yes. I moved up here from the Boston area and these squalls can produce brief rates to rival any Noreaster. I think they are more intense. Wait until you have a daylight one and the vis goes down to under 500 feet. They happen several times a winter, especially in Vermont.

Very cool and thanks guys! I will definitely have the good video camera ready next time.

Can anyone tell me what the 0Z Euro has is showing for us in C/NNE for Wednesday? Reading the SNE thread I know it is west and rain for them but where does the 850mb line run? Hopefully some front or back end snow for me in Central NH.

Midnight temp 21.9F low was reached just before 8am 14.2F rebounding to 14.6F now

Archived