SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Autumn 2013 Thread

MaineJayhawk

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The peak intensity rivaled the epic upslope on Bolton when I visited that Feb.

We were on the road from South Burlington through Winooski to Camp Johnson in Essex (well, Citizen's Cider to be exact- wanted  a growler of some Unified Press).  Went from a surprise snow shower walking out at home and wet roads... to whiteout and a complete mess while out 5 mins down the road.

A couple fender benders, and a coach bus stuck on a barely-inclined stretch by the UVM Athletic complex tells you it snowed hard and fast- no traction.  People were driving waaaay to fast at first, then realized how the flash-freeze ice was sketchy.  The plows had no chance for anything.  It was super slick with Temps hovering around 32 dropping through 28 during the squalls.   A pretty wild moment.

1.5" perhaps down on the ground in under an hour?

Yeah I would not have wanted to be on I-89 when vis dropped to 1/8th a mile, lol.  That's like throwing a white sheet over your car and then trying to drive.

My downstairs neighbor was trying to go to the store as it peaked and she turned back around after driving a block because she couldn't see.

Hearing of an incredible night over there in Vermont. I am back home in Maine for break but got reports to share with you all. Hearing of 1.5 inches in Cabot, 1.2 inches in Lyndonville area, 1" in St. Jay, 1-3 inches in the Champlain Valley. Also hearing that on I-89 there is so many slide offs and accidents that in parts between Williston and Montpelier there is chunks of roads at standstills. Granted by now most of these have cleared up but do know that roads in Lyndonville are very icy and Emergency Crews are having hard times getting to some calls especially general medical calls.

Hearing of an incredible night over there in Vermont. I am back home in Maine for break but got reports to share with you all. Hearing of 1.5 inches in Cabot, 1.2 inches in Lyndonville area, 1" in St. Jay, 1-3 inches in the Champlain Valley. Also hearing that on I-89 there is so many slide offs and accidents that in parts between Williston and Montpelier there is chunks of roads at standstills. Granted by now most of these have cleared up but do know that roads in Lyndonville are very icy and Emergency Crews are having hard times getting to some calls especially general medical calls.

It was for sure! You can look back over the past couple of pages for some stills I took in Winooski.

just got a press release saying that the Vermont State Police is urging all drivers to not travel on roads unless its an emergency because of all the backups on I-89 and Route 15 due to crashes.

Read back a page or two...VT State Police issued that a while ago after it passed through BTV. The Williston barracks were swamped.

Archived