joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July high heat WX disco

CapturedNature

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This isn't normally the airmass for ORH to hit 90. That wind direction may be a reason why.

Northerly or NNW wind direction is good for torching at ORH...so something like +17 or +18C 850 temps and that wind direction can get it done...barely. Still, I think MOS had been spitting out 92s for them.

Usually on a typical west or southwest wind, you need at least +19 at 850 for ORH to hit 90F.

I really miss having human remarks in the many of the metars. Obviously some do, but a coworker of mine saved some good ones. Tinker airforce base had some great remarks int he 99 tornado. The SA is jsut old legacy stuff, but I like it.

One of my favorites was MOONDIMVIS (Moon Dimly Visible) after a snow storm.  That was the tell tale sign that the snow was ending.

Another good one I just remembered was SNOINC or Snow Increasing in Intensity.  Boy, I wish we had that about now!

No, that is what you want. Most people want accurate weather forecasts.

You are severely wrong. the public as a whole enjoys exciting, hyped up events. Whether you want to admit it or not..that is reality. The more exciting, amped and hyped up it is..the more people look forward to it, want it, need it.

Not just in weather..but in many aspects of life.

You are severely wrong. the public as a whole enjoys exciting, hyped up events. Whether you want to admit it or not..that is reality. The more exciting, amped and hyped up it is..the more people look forward to it, want it, need it.

People want forecasts for a specific location they will be in.  They don't care if there is a chance of t'storms or a chance of snow...they want to know whether it will rain or snow where they will be.  It's really annoying

hype has no place in science.

People want forecasts for a specific location they will be in.  They don't care if there is a chance of t'storms or a chance of snow...they want to know whether it will rain or snow where they will be.  It's really annoying

Usually after I put out a forecast on fb or my blog I usually tell people if they want something more specific to contact me. I like making specific forecasts rather than general ones. I'm sure a lot of mets/weather hobbyists feel the same.

I think you're wrong, IMHO.  I think hyped up events scare them and become like the boy who cried wolf.  Who here hears people have confidence in weathermen who always hype things up?  I'm always hearing people blow them off, if anything.

Usually after I put out a forecast on fb or my blog I usually tell people if they want something more specific to contact me. I like making specific forecasts rather than general ones. I'm sure a lot of mets/weather hobbyists feel the same.

When it comes to larger scale events it's certainly much easier to give more specific forecasts on a more local level, but when dealing with smaller scale events, such as t'storms it can be quite challenging.  For example, the past two weeks where we had daily t'storm chances but the aerial coverage was going to be so isolated ti widely scattered it was quite difficult to be more specific with the forecasts.  

and the harder it is to swallow when an event doesn't pan out

When it comes to larger scale events it's certainly much easier to give more specific forecasts on a more local level, but when dealing with smaller scale events, such as t'storms it can be quite challenging.  For example, the past two weeks where we had daily t'storm chances but the aerial coverage was going to be so isolated ti widely scattered it was quite difficult to be more specific with the forecasts.  

Yeah I was thinking more along the lines of forecasting snowstorms because I enjoy putting those together. I love severe weather more for my own sake but when it comes to forecasting for the general public winter events are always fun.

Northerly or NNW wind direction is good for torching at ORH...so something like +17 or +18C 850 temps and that wind direction can get it done...barely. Still, I think MOS had been spitting out 92s for them.

Usually on a typical west or southwest wind, you need at least +19 at 850 for ORH to hit 90F.

Yeah I was still a little surprised, figured more NNW was the way to go, but I guess a 360 wind is good enough. I thought 88 or 89. I guess with KFIT temps, it makes some sense.

I think you're wrong, IMHO. I think hyped up events scare them and become like the boy who cried wolf. Who here hears people have confidence in weathermen who always hype things up? I'm always hearing people blow them off, if anything.

What draws more viewers? " stay tuned for details of a chance of snow tomorrow" or " stay tuned for prospects of a major winter storm tomorrow?"

I think you're wrong, IMHO. I think hyped up events scare them and become like the boy who cried wolf. Who here hears people have confidence in weathermen who always hype things up? I'm always hearing people blow them off, if anything.

Hyping weather all the time certainly doesn't do meteorology any favors...

...it just makes folks focus on "the big ticket" storm that failed to form or live up to expectation.

Yeah I was thinking more along the lines of forecasting snowstorms because I enjoy putting those together. I love severe weather more for my own sake but when it comes to forecasting for the general public winter events are always fun.

Forecasting both is quite challenging and to me that makes it all the more fun.  Even though I'm not a professional I still enjoy making forecasts as it's great experience and I do have tons of friends who are always coming to me so I really try hard to be as specific to their needs as possible, and it does add some added stress, especially if what you say doesn't seem good enough to them but in the end it's a helluva lot of fun!

What draws more viewers? " stay tuned for details of a chance of snow tomorrow" or " stay tuned for prospects of a major winter storm tomorrow?"

Hype certainly does draw viewers, I don't think anyone will argue that, however, the hype that goes on in weather just makes it worse.  Just b/c it's what people want doesn't mean that's what you have to give them.  People just aren't going to stop watching the news or the weather b/c they aren't "hyping" it up.  The people in the media responsible for this don't have to cave into these people.  

Archived