July high heat WX disco

CapturedNature

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Come to our 4th of July party

"We will have games , food, and beverages"

or

"Beer pong, Beano and pony rides for the kids, all you can eat barbeque,and an an endless supply of ice cold beer"

Which party would you choose?

And then after they find out you lied, it's urinating on your wall and feces under your bed covers.

Right..the point is..no matter where you go in life or what you're talking about..excitement and hype generates interest and attracts people and gives them something to look forward to

Yes but dealing with science and weather, which affects our lives every single day, it can be a very dangerous line to touch or go over.  

Forecasting both is quite challenging and to me that makes it all the more fun.  Even though I'm not a professional I still enjoy making forecasts as it's great experience and I do have tons of friends who are always coming to me so I really try hard to be as specific to their needs as possible, and it does add some added stress, especially if what you say doesn't seem good enough to them but in the end it's a helluva lot of fun!

...or if the forecast busts. I've definitely been down that path before. You live and you learn though and people should understand that.  Besides, we're the ones doing them a favor.

...or if the forecast busts. I've definitely been down that path before. You live and you learn though and people should understand that.  Besides, we're the ones doing them a favor.

Busting always sucks but it's all a learning experience!  For the most part people have been relatively kind to me during busts...although they certainly love to tease but the majority seem to understand forecasting can be quite challenging.  This is why when I type up blog posts and such I try to be as detailed as possible...this can lead to very lengthy discussions and such but in reality they don't take more than a few minutes to read and I love giving out as many details as possible, and if I get a little technical I try to explain those terms so the reader can understand a bit better and then lay out what may make the forecast difficult and so forth.  

The question should be why are we trying to sell the weather through hype?

Hype has taken over the weather field and is ruining the science. Everything is hyped now. Rain, wind, heat, snow, cold, tornadoes, hurricanes, climate change....all hyped and IMHO hurting the integrity of the science.

Ski resorts do it all the time.

Come ski the 16 inches of fresh snow Stowe received last night.and then you get there and the sides of the trails are brown and green, and there's rocks showing thru on many trails

:lol: Welcome to the 80s and 90s.

You of all people should know that product fibbing is a big no-no now after social media.

Most of us at various ski areas (I know several marketing and operations guys around New England) know that we will have a social media revolt on our hands by 10am if the truth is even stretched just a little. Snowfall amounts won't be off by more than an inch these days, lol.

Hype has taken over the weather field and is ruining the science. Everything is hyped now. Rain, wind, heat, snow, cold, tornadoes, hurricanes, climate change....all hyped and IMHO hurting the integrity of the science.

Until the public stops wanting that..that is the way it shall remain. And in the age of technology and excitement and hoopla  and people with little time..that isn't likely to change

Busting always sucks but it's all a learning experience!  For the most part people have been relatively kind to me during busts...although they certainly love to tease but the majority seem to understand forecasting can be quite challenging.  This is why when I type up blog posts and such I try to be as detailed as possible...this can lead to very lengthy discussions and such but in reality they don't take more than a few minutes to read and I love giving out as many details as possible, and if I get a little technical I try to explain those terms so the reader can understand a bit better and then lay out what may make the forecast difficult and so forth.  

Yeah I've read a couple of your blog posts. Keep it up man, good work. I don't update my blog all the time unless there's an event that garners widespread interest which basically refers to any snow potential or severe weather event.

:lol: Welcome to the 80s and 90s.

You of all people should know that product fibbing is a big no-no now after social media.

Most of us at various ski areas (I know several marketing and operations guys around New England) know that we will have a social media revolt on our hands by 10am if the truth is even stretched just a little. Snowfall amounts won't be off by more than an inch these days, lol.

Salespeople have to know what people are looking to buy. By asking the right questions, and pushing the right buttons, a sale can many times be made

Until the public stops wanting that..that is the way it shall remain. And in the age of technology and excitement and hoopla  and people with little time..that isn't likely to change

People don't want that in the weather business. They want accurate forecasts to make critical decisions whether it be an airline or someone planning a beach day. Nobody I know asks me to hype anything. I've never heard some begging me for 6-12" of snow like you do. In fact, most complain that weather is too hyped.

Salespeople have to know what people are looking to buy. By asking the right questions, and pushing the right buttons, a sale can many times be made

Some salesman are honest and know how to work with a customer, some are cheeseballs. Sounds like you are tickling the latter?

All righty then, maybe the posts can get back to something pertinent to the title. Problem here is nobody buys hype and most take offense, it only undermines the reason the board is what it is.  

There be light at the end of the tunnel. Next week looks refreshing. A beauty outside right now. 

Yeah I've read a couple of your blog posts. Keep it up man, good work. I don't update my blog all the time unless there's an event that garners widespread interest which basically refers to any snow potential or severe weather event.

Thank you!  I usually only update mine as well if there is some sort of event coming up, or sometimes I'll do a recap of a past event but other than that it's difficult to find time to update it more constantly than that.  I haven't even done anything yet about Saturday's potential but I probably will do so tomorrow after work.

You don't always have to cave into people and give them what they want...give them what they need and what's best for them.

I will say hyping an upcoming snowstorm for the ski resort is one of the hardest parts of my job. I will not hype on social media or through other media collateral until I know it's a slam dunk. Jay Peak on the other hand takes the wxhype way and will start talking feet of snow 5 days out...I've had some good laughs with NWS mets over some of the hype Jay puts out. But then it leads to folks asking why you aren't talking about it..,its a slick slope.

That's the worst is when hype just takes off. When a 4-8" event gets turned into the storm of the century.

I'm all for hyping AFTER the event though...but let it play out before going apesh't over it.

All righty then, maybe the posts can get back to something pertinent to the title. Problem here is nobody buys hype and most take offense, it only undermines the reason the board is what it is.  

There be light at the end of the tunnel. Next week looks refreshing. A beauty outside right now. 

Yeah "cooler" temps starting Sunday. Looks like temperatures will be more seasonable here on out after this weekend.

I will say hyping an upcoming snowstorm for the ski resort is one of the hardest parts of my job. I will not hype on social media or through other media collateral until I know it's a slam dunk. Jay Peak on the other hand takes the wxhype way and will start talking feet of snow 5 days out...I've had some good laughs with NWS mets over some of the hype Jay puts out. But then it leads to folks asking why you aren't talking about it..,its a slick slope.

That's the worst is when hype just takes off. When a 4-8" event gets turned into the storm of the century.

I'm all for hyping AFTER the event though...but let it play out before going apesh't over it.

We laugh about Jay Peak at work, too. They are horrible.

Archived